The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I think it’s clear who has the agenda on here. 19/20 we had played one game less and had three points less when the league was pulled, so clearly very similar to this season.

Fundamentally in my view we have too many players thinking they’re too good for league 1 (which they are on paper) but are not showing that on the pitch consistently enough. Doesn’t help that one of the biggest culprits has just been given a 2 year deal.

I have an agenda I agree. I want the best for the football club. We were not getting that in the past and now we have certainly turned the corner. That’s why I campaigned for change for years. 
The Board took over a club on its knees wrecked by years of poor decision making. It is now moving in the right direction and you can’t see for the agenda you have. 

You have been waiting to pounce for weeks. The draw against Alloa you moaned. You started getting noisy again after Dunfermline and now another 2 games without a win and it delights you. Don’t try and kid anyone on it doesn’t - it comes through on every post you make. 

Very hard to look back on M&M’s time without remembering the complete lost the dressing room collapse at the end and some of the lowest points in our history (until last season) - I believe bainsfordbairn put a great post up on here a while back about that Peterhead away game. 

One is now an estate agent and one is a hairdresser. Fine professions but read into that what you will. 

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We are though. And it's stunning that it's up for debate. 

Is it? Where, and by whom, is it being suggested that there has been no improvement upon last season ?

It is perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that we are a much better team than last season - and, as you're looking for context, that particular comparison is against one of the very worst sides in the club's history - whilst at the same time being disappointed that we have never seriously looked like mounting a serious challenge for automatic promotion from the third tier of Scottish football - the context of that particular disappointment being the provision to the manager of by far the largest transfer budget of anyone in the division.

These positions really do not need to be mutually exclusive.

I was certainly in the camp of posters who ridiculed players like Nesbitt Williamson McGuffie McKay Hetherington and at times Players like McCann & Morrison, and don’t hide from the fact called this group charlatans. Roll on this season and our new coaches/managers M&S. Absolutely no denial that these players have shown great improvement. Coupled with some decent signings such McGinn Donaldson, Mackie, and further add ons Lawal Kennedy etc.

Yes, we’ve certainly improved and yes we've had a fantastic cup run which I’m sure will take the financial pressure off all at the club, for the start of the new season, but disappointingly the last few games have reminded us of the darker days.

Already posted that Nesbit was deserved of a new deal, but agree (if true) is two years the best for the club? Is this deal weighted with caveats ie promotion? Interesting few weeks coming up, playoffs semi and who else gets a contract either new or extended.

21 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Who had more points after being in charge of 29 league matches, M&M or McGlynn? Who conceded more goals? Who scored more? 

That was McKinnons team put together on a budget I would wager was bigger than McGlynn’s and in a league much weaker than this 

31 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Think this is a very fair debate. We seem significantly better because we have less c***s in the team and last season we had the 2 worst managers in the club's history back to back.

Would this side beat M&M's pre Holt lot? I'm not sure. Doubt it to be honest. Do I prefer McGlynn's as a squad? Absolutely. 

I think if he was being honest as a performance appraisal McGlynn would give himself 6.5 or 7 out of 10. That feels about right.

I don't think we'll get up through the playoffs.  I think Airdrie will beat us. But I think we'll win the division next season comfortably. 

M&M's pre-Holt lot were also shit but made to seem better by everyone else being a bit more shit.

As soon as everyone else started being a bit less shit the squad were found out to be the utter charlatans they were.

3 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Your on a trip. Morrison is two yards onside when Donaldson shoots, Kennedy is not in active play. His position and actions had no bearing on the goal being scored.

The penalty claim, I’ll not even bother arguing that decision with you other than saying that’s down to the standard of officials. 

As soon as Kennedy made a run towards the ball he’s active, correct decision to chalk it off for offside.

As for the penalty, there is no excuse for the referee not giving it, blatant push in the back.

43 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Nothing to fear in the play offs if we find our form. 

That's the problem tho.

We've huffed-and-puffed in games and not necessarily got the breaks but we don't look as dangerous or confident as we should based on all the stats banded about.

Playoffs will come around soon enough and we can't afford a middling performance like we've seen recently.

16 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

That's the problem tho.

We've huffed-and-puffed in games and not necessarily got the breaks but we don't look as dangerous or confident as we should based on all the stats banded about.

Playoffs will come around soon enough and we can't afford a middling performance like we've seen recently.

We will be fine 

3 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Watching far too long it seems!

"higher bar" to give a penalty is just a poor excuse to say that getting it wrong is acceptable. 

You watch Penedictus every week so I suppose you're used to watching defenders get soft fouls for f**k all.

Not at all, just a standard facet of watching football. Plenty of defenders go over for next to nothing at all levels from Saturday Amateurs to Champions League and get soft free kicks. It happens a thousand times a week. The referee has an easy option - if he gives the soft foul it won't really change anything other than upsetting the forward and his team's supporters. When a striker goes down, the referee has to be sure. Give the foul and it could end up in a penalty/dangerous free kick/yellow card/red card. If he gets it wrong then he's potentially changed the outcome of the game. It has nothing to do with rivalry or who anyone supports, it's a fairly uncontroversial statement IMO.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

That was McKinnons team put together on a budget I would wager was bigger than McGlynn’s and in a league much weaker than this 

Looking at both squads then I would highly doubt that, particularly since we apparently paid a fee for Allan too. That’s also not to consider that McKinnons side were largely dung. McGlynn had to deal a bit with that too but doesn’t hide the fact that on the whole there is very marginal difference between him and M&M, who were sacked.

McGlynn was a good appointment but I still think he still has a bit to prove to receive some of the praise he gets in comparison to previous incumbents. 

6 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Looking at both squads then I would highly doubt that, particularly since we apparently paid a fee for Allan too. That’s also not to consider that McKinnons side were largely dung. McGlynn had to deal a bit with that too but doesn’t hide the fact that on the whole there is very marginal difference between him and M&M, who were sacked.

McGlynn was a good appointment but I still think he still has a bit to prove to receive some of the praise he gets in comparison to previous incumbents. 

A marginal difference between McGlynn and M&M? Away and give your head a wabble. FFS one is now an estate agent the other now cuts hair for a living. McGlynn has been coaching in various capacities for 30 years and has been employed by two of the country’s biggest clubs in his time in various capacities. 
Some of the shite written on here is incredible.  

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

A marginal difference between McGlynn and M&M? Away and give your head a wabble. FFS one is now an estate agent the other now cuts hair for a living. McGlynn has been coaching in various capacities for 30 years and has been employed by two of the country’s biggest clubs in his time in various capacities. 
Some of the shite written on here is incredible.  

It might not be a fact you like but compare their Falkirk records like for like and you’ll see marginal is exactly what it is. I don’t see what M&M do now has to do with it, if anything it makes it worse that his side are in the cusp of having a similar record. 

10 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

FFS one is now an estate agent the other now cuts hair for a living. McGlynn has been coaching in various capacities for 30 years and has been employed by two of the country’s biggest clubs in his time in various capacities.  

Exactly- which makes it all the more disappointing that despite considerably better recruitment and a more experienced management team, we are in a very similar position points wise to 19/20 and 20/21 (before the collapse).

McGlynn has certainly improved us but its becoming very frustrating how he sticks constantly to the same formation and tactics regardless of whether its working.  Subs tend to be like for like and as others have said, we have 4 strikers in the squad yet always go with just 1 up front. 

The only time in months I can remember us changing it and starting 2 up front he dropped the wingers.  

Last night was a chance to start Allan & Burrell.  Nesbitt is a blind spot for McGlynn. He's not on form and could have dropped out last night with Kucheriavyi pushing up and a 2nd striker starting.  

Can only assume whoever picked Kennedy for MOM is a closet Rangers fan.  

McGlynn teams have a history of ending seasons poorly.  Look at Raiths record in the play offs while he was there. Our recent form is a big concern.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

5 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

It might not be a fact you like but compare their Falkirk records like for like and you’ll see marginal is exactly what it is. I don’t see what M&M do now has to do with it, if anything it makes it worse that his side are in the cusp of having a similar record. 

You that is bringing it up. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

You that is bringing it up. 

Bringing up their records, not what they’ve went on to do in their livelihoods. That’s just a nonsensical point to avoid contesting the fact. Also you’ve been the one banging on about how amazing McGlynn has been from previous incumbents so the comparison does stand.