The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Harry Kinnear said:

I wasn’t there today so can’t comment on the display but how often does that happen, a massive come down after a great performance on Monday night.

This is a fair point and although we’ve had a good season, we need to stay focused as we don’t want to lose our momentum with a semi final and play-offs on the horizon.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

This is a fair point and although we’ve had a good season, we need to stay focused as we don’t want to lose our momentum with a semi final and play-offs on the horizon.

Exactly, hopefully bring some of them back down to earth and focused on what needs to be done. They have achieved feck all yet and shouldn’t need reminded of that.

When you look at the permutations for the play offs, if Airdrie finish 3rd, I for one will be very nervous about those two fixtures.

If they finish 4th, and it’s Cove, then I think they will beat Cove by a healthy margin.

I just have a feeling that to get through the play offs, at some point, it will be Airdrie standing in our way.

Just now, Duncan Freemason said:

When you look at the permutations for the play offs, if Airdrie finish 3rd, I for one will be very nervous about those two fixtures.

If they finish 4th, and it’s Cove, then I think they will beat Cove by a healthy margin.

I just have a feeling that to get through the play offs, at some point, it will be Airdrie standing in our way.

Yep. Us, Alloa and Edinburgh in there please.

2 hours ago, Blame Me said:

You don't wish to be too negative after the week we had last but to go and lose today whilst Dunfermline also look like dropping points is god awful. 

Not to mention Airdrie seem to have hit a very purple patch and the other play-off contenders winning makes today's probable result at time of writing a very, very bad one.

We never seem to do it the easy way!

To say Airdrie have hit a purple patch is a bit of an exaggeration, they've beat Peterhead and Kelty, albeit by healthy margins, after failing to win in any of their previous 4, losing 3 of them

A draw would have been a fair result. They had one chance and took it on the counter. We couldn’t break down their defensive shape. A bank of 5 defenders and then 4 in front, we need to do better to break down. We should have went two up front earlier IMO to occupy their 3 centre backs. The one where Burrell slices it, if he makes better contact he scores. Could easily have had a penalty first half when their boy had his hands around Gary Oliver’s waste right after the referee spoke to him (who btw was absolutely awful).

6 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

A draw would have been a fair result. They had one chance and took it on the counter. We couldn’t break down their defensive shape. A bank of 5 defenders and then 4 in front, we need to do better to break down.

Lot of truth in this but we had a bank of five defenders with 2 in front, not 4. By no stretch of anybody's imagination could Connelly or McKechnie have been considered defensive players, today or any other day.

I'd say we had 2 or 3 clear chances (McKechnie missed a sitter at the start of the 2nd half), which is 2 or 3 more than Falkirk. A draw wouldnt have been massively unfair but we did just about enough to win for me.

Had a horrible feeling about todays game, albeit after a great run of league results (apart from one)

Enjoyed all hype with Mondays great result as it’s been while since we had something to look forward to, but how many times have we seen this before…..

Onto the game - I actually thought QOS didn’t have to much to do, as we huffed and puffed for most of the game. Yes a couple a really good chances but so did QS. 
Didn't think I would ever say this but thought we missed Nesbit and and looked off balance. Agree with above post thought over the piece QS just about deserved the three points.

Hard to criticise the team after the league run and getting into the semis. However a warning today that we need to be at our best in the run in ensuring we get second spot. 

Plenty of crosses in today but nobody on the end of them. I really don't know what happened with Burrell's chance, he seemed to forget where the ball was and he's had a few of those this season where he just can't sort his feet out.

Other than that I can only really think of the Gary Oliver header in the first half. Poor day at the office which is annoying with the scum dropping points.

Edited by FFC 1876

Don’t get anyone not being excited by the Semi final, just like I don’t get anyone saying the league should be a priority. 

No doubt it’s important to finish as high as we can in the league so depending where we are come the end of April, I’d be unwilling to rest anyone in the league for the cup. I would however be pretty annoyed if we rested anyone in the cup Semi because of the league. Miller and McCracken done this against Celtic dropping some of our best players and our league form dipped.

These sort of games are what football is all about. It’s the same for players, so imagine being rested for what could be one of the biggest games of your career for a match vs Peterhead?

Also not only can we can gain an extra £400k the final but if, by some miracle, we were to win it then we’d get at least €3m from European competition as we’d get a Europa playoff spot which would guarantee us entry in to the conference group stages. 

This is the first season that we have actually managed to eclipse M&Ms covid season.

That season ended at this point. This season, we have 2 points more, we have scored 2 goals more but we have conceded 12 goals more.

Most other seasons, losing 6 games isn’t great, but you would expect to still be in the title race, but not this season. Back to back league defeats needs to be nipped in the bud pretty quickly.

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Lot of truth in this but we had a bank of five defenders with 2 in front, not 4. By no stretch of anybody's imagination could Connelly or McKechnie have been considered defensive players, today or any other day.

I'd say we had 2 or 3 clear chances (McKechnie missed a sitter at the start of the 2nd half), which is 2 or 3 more than Falkirk. A draw wouldnt have been massively unfair but we did just about enough to win for me.

Most of the time you had Paton up front himself whilst Connolly and the other boy supported him but when defending it was definitely men behind the ball. Which is fine because I thought you looked a lot more assured at the back than any of the other games this season.