The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

7 games to play in April, then potentially 4 or 5 (including play offs - can't remember if its a one off final or home and away) in early May - just as well we have a strong squad, we'll need to use it

Edited to add, sorry forgot a potential Scottish Cup Final too!

It's home and away. I always thought it would be better to have a playoff finals weekend like they have down south but I think the clubs make more money this way.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

However, the important and critical dialogue/message is our current business model. We simply need an additional £300-£500K injection of cash every season to sustain the existing business model, or if we were to run without debt, around £400K would need to be slashed/removed from John McGlynns football budget.

They did reinforce that the club know the importance of giving the manager the best budget in order to compete and challenge, but another season in league one without the additional cash couldn’t really be sustainable, in the current model.

A lot of discussion about the importance of the FSS and the club fully behind and backing them to do well. Projected numbers to roughly double which increase yearly investment close to £200K. (Can’t recall if a timeline was quoted)

It really is vital that we keep pushing FSS, not just for the income but to get this shareholding secured. The longer it takes the more fragile the 'ring-fenced' shares become (loathed to use this term because they aren't really ring-fenced just FSS are preferred owners). The 26% initial target is already predicated on some share donation from current minor shareholders, indeed Kenny and Keith mentioned 21% as the expectation now. I'll be honest and say I think 26% is important, even just for symbolic reasons, as it then feels like the wider fanbase have the safeguard and coupled with the Patrons Group have over 50% ownership.

On here we are preaching to the choir slightly, I get the feeling the majority of regular posters are FSS members anyway. But we all know people who are not and we have to get them on board.

I reckon the cup income has given us a year to push the membership toward 1200+. So using fag packet maths somewhere in the region of 50 members a month which isn't far off the current build. It's going to happen but we just can't slack.

9 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

It really is vital that we keep pushing FSS, not just for the income but to get this shareholding secured. The longer it takes the more fragile the 'ring-fenced' shares become (loathed to use this term because they aren't really ring-fenced just FSS are preferred owners). The 26% initial target is already predicated on some share donation from current minor shareholders, indeed Kenny and Keith mentioned 21% as the expectation now. I'll be honest and say I think 26% is important, even just for symbolic reasons, as it then feels like the wider fanbase have the safeguard and coupled with the Patrons Group have over 50% ownership.

On here we are preaching to the choir slightly, I get the feeling the majority of regular posters are FSS members anyway. But we all know people who are not and we have to get them on board.

I reckon the cup income has given us a year to push the membership toward 1200+. So using fag packet maths somewhere in the region of 50 members a month which isn't far off the current build. It's going to happen but we just can't slack.

A good season end (hopefully promotion) would see a significant increase in FSS subscribers. Let’s face it the cup financials will go a long way in bridging the gap, which no one expected. Still think another couple of large advertising boards on the Grangemouth Rd about the FSS (and STs) could be a good bit of marketing.

Guest Brockvillenomore

Interesting Podcast with the directors. Firstly the conspiracies (mostly negative) about how we are treated by the council are certainly not what the directors conveyed, and reading between the lines the club are very happy with the existing model. Maybe a small hint that we are benefitting not being the owners.

However, the important and critical dialogue/message is our current business model. We simply need an additional £300-£500K injection of cash every season to sustain the existing business model, or if we were to run without debt, around £400K would need to be slashed/removed from John McGlynns football budget.
They did reinforce that the club know the importance of giving the manager the best budget in order to compete and challenge, but another season in league one without the additional cash couldn’t really be sustainable, in the current model.

A lot of discussion about the importance of the FSS and the club fully behind and backing them to do well. Projected numbers to roughly double which increase yearly investment close to £200K. (Can’t recall if a timeline was quoted)

For me, the current BOD are 100% correct to reset/remodel the club as there’s not a business model that budgets for a £400K loss in any new season/financial year (obviously exceptions being very wealthy individuals who are happy to surface any losses which we don’t have) Clearly there’s an army of people who have dug deep to help out the club, at a time where inflation and energy costs have rocketed, which the directors thanked ( continually throughout the podcast) 

I’ve not done the maths, but an example used by one of the directors- one takeaway coffee every week, this would amount to a monthly subscription of £10 to the FSS. ( I would probably have a cinnamon twirl so could probably stretch to £15) 

Bang on mate, except the cinnamon twist 😂 I’d go for the chocolate option, seriously though have to build the FSS and push us up the leagues, all while continuing to support the club in any way we can. 

How @PedroMoutinho viewed the call to arms for us all to pull together as owners of the club as some sort of threat makes no sense whatsoever. 

Interesting Podcast with the directors. Firstly the conspiracies (mostly negative) about how we are treated by the council are certainly not what the directors conveyed, and reading between the lines the club are very happy with the existing model. Maybe a small hint that we are benefitting not being the owners.

For me, the current BOD are 100% correct to reset/remodel the club as there’s not a business model that budgets for a £400K loss in any new season/financial year (obviously exceptions being very wealthy individuals who are happy to surface any losses which we don’t have) Clearly there’s an army of people who have dug deep to help out the club, at a time where inflation and energy costs have rocketed, which the directors thanked ( continually throughout the podcast) 

I’ve not done the maths, but an example used by one of the directors- one takeaway coffee every week, this would amount to a monthly subscription of £10 to the FSS. ( I would probably have a cinnamon twirl so could probably stretch to £15) 

Then the business model has to change as the fans putting in an extra £300k+ per year is not sustainable. Sooner or later and with the financial constraints on fans disposable income it's going to decline. Apart from that it's arrogant to assume the fan's will just keep contributing that season in season out.

Therefore any monies from that funding stream must be looked on as a bonus and not included in the budget. Uncomfortable decisions will have to be made in the closed season to ensure the club does not have another mid season financial crisis and set a budget for next season that is credible.

Full time / Part time hybrid squad. Reduced fulltime squad all unpopular and not wanted but have to be considered.

Guest Brockvillenomore
27 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I agree. 26% is important and the extra 5% could be delivered by purchase of shares from minority shareholders (admittedly not my favourite option), convincing people to leave the FSS their shares in their wills (I’m going to do that for my modest shareholding), proxy’s and maybe even convincing some of the major as well as smaller shareholders to gift them some or even all of their shares. 

After 4 or 5 years of an accelerated spiral down the pan we have the opportunity to make the clubs ours and achieve its potential. We have to take it. 

Guest Brockvillenomore
4 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Then the business model has to change as the fans putting in an extra £300k+ per year is not sustainable. Sooner or later and with the financial constraints on fans disposable income it's going to decline. Apart from that it's arrogant to assume the fan's will just keep contributing that season in season out.

Therefore any monies from that funding stream must be looked on as a bonus and not included in the budget. Uncomfortable decisions will have to be made in the closed season to ensure the club does not have another mid season financial crisis and set a budget for next season that is credible.

Full time / Part time hybrid squad. Reduced fulltime squad all unpopular and not wanted but have to be considered.

That was all discussed on the podcast. 
There was a concern expressed there might not be the appetite for fan ownership with the participation required. 
With part time or hybrid mentioned as the likely outcome if that proved to be the case. I assume you haven’t listened to it? 

5 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

Bang on mate, except the cinnamon twist 😂 I’d go for the chocolate option, seriously though have to build the FSS and push us up the leagues, all while continuing to support the club in any way we can. 

How @PedroMoutinho viewed the call to arms for us all to pull together as owners of the club as some sort of threat makes no sense whatsoever. 

I'm probably gonna sound like a dick here(not for the first time but there we are) but I'll put it out there.

One thing myself and some mates have done is bringing up FSS when chatting to FFC supporting mates about the club and getting a feel if they have signed up.  I realised months after it has started I didn't actaully know if any of my mates had joined - so I asked.  If they said 'no' then I asked why not? Not in a demanding way..just to be curious which then opened up the dialogue.

Of course we don't know each others exact financial situations but most people have an idea of how close friends are doing.  But simply by bringing it up into conversation can help spread the word. 

Not necessarily 'peer pressure' but just chatting and sometimes folk just aren't aware and if you explain - it does work.  An example was a mate of mine who lives in London.  We were visiting him a few months ago, got talking about FFC.  He was a big fan in the 90s/2000s but he hadn't been to a game in years.  He'd lost a bit of interest due to relocating and also the sh*tshow of the past few years but he still followed the results.  He's got a spare bob or two and after a few pints and us explaining what it was all about and where we were as a club financially he had signed up.  

Of course if yer talking to yer pal and ask him if he's signed up and he says "I cant even pay the leccy bills" then you know its a closed door so I'm not saying you guilt trip people.  But, as we'll no doubt see with the interest in the Semi final game - a few folk will come out the woodwork so maybe a good opportunity to mention it to them if you can.

I'll probably get shot down in flames for the above but there ye go... 

25 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Only gripe with Monday - can we have some different post match music to what came on immediately after the FT whistle - showing my age maybe but didn't recognise it. Get Amarillo on within 2 minutes of full time

Fully agree with this. Was great having Dave back doing the match announcements but thought it was a strange choice, it was absolutely boomed out as well which killed off a fair bit of the post match atmosphere before Amarillo 

17 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Hawd on the noo! we still have a very strong chance of getting promoted. we can't seriously be thinking about part time or hybrid were we to actually go up?

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

Guest Brockvillenomore
5 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

I'm probably gonna sound like a dick here(not for the first time but there we are) but I'll put it out there.

One thing myself and some mates have done is bringing up FSS when chatting to FFC supporting mates about the club and getting a feel if they have signed up.  I realised months after it has started I didn't actaully know if any of my mates had joined - so I asked.  If they said 'no' then I asked why not? Not in a demanding way..just to be curious which then opened up the dialogue.

Of course we don't know each others exact financial situations but most people have an idea of how close friends are doing.  But simply by bringing it up into conversation can help spread the word. 

Not necessarily 'peer pressure' but just chatting and sometimes folk just aren't aware and if you explain - it does work.  An example was a mate of mine who lives in London.  We were visiting him a few months ago, got talking about FFC.  He was a big fan in the 90s/2000s but he hadn't been to a game in years.  He'd lost a bit of interest due to relocating and also the sh*tshow of the past few years but he still followed the results.  He's got a spare bob or two and after a few pints and us explaining what it was all about and where we were as a club financially he had signed up.  

Of course if yer talking to yer pal and ask him if he's signed up and he says "I cant even pay the leccy bills" then you know its a closed door so I'm not saying you guilt trip people.  But, as we'll no doubt see with the interest in the Semi final game - a few folk will come out the woodwork so maybe a good opportunity to mention it to them if you can.

No shooting down from me. You’re absolutely right. That’s the right approach and if people can’t afford it then it’s a no brainier. 

3 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Not at all. Actually I'll do the complete opposite and say you're a hero. What you've described above, I'd wager is the main driver of new members at the moment. Holding the knowledge of what it's all about and being confident in having those conversations with people is exactly how things will grow. 

Keep it up 👍

13 hours ago, Grant228 said:

And despite these three new stands you've just had pages of discussion about how these stands don't protect you from the elements, maybe time to build them again? 

You said the stand built in the 60s had terracing, the main stand never had terracing. 

The North Stand did have terracing, however has never had bucket seats. 

And this is all a bit silly because EEP is quite simply, a far superior stadium to TFS. It would be rather silly to try claim otherwise when there's been pages of discussion on this thread about the problems with TFS. 

Now get those main stand sections handed over, thank you. 

Your Main Stand ( South ) did have terracing and the players came down steps from the changing rooms in the middle to get on the pitch.  Get with it, learn about your club.

East End Park.jpg

16 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Hawd on the noo! we still have a very strong chance of getting promoted. we can't seriously be thinking about part time or hybrid were we to actually go up?

The budget gets decided at the end of the season when there's certainty. 

Then every option should be on the table to ensure sound finances. 

37 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Shot down for what? Word of mouth (along with a bit of gentle persuasion) is probably our best route to additional sign-ups. Keep up the good work my friend.

41 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Are you talking about the fss cash or soft loans here? Theres a number of clubs who rely on fan group investment and they've been going for a number of years without it dropping off if it's the fss cash you are concerned about.