The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Compare that to BBC's Scottish Football page - headline; "Who will take the last semi final place?" - its a 45 second video of Govan, Celtic and ITC winning their 1/4 finals. Neither Falkirk or Ayr are included in the footage, neither is there any commentary or written reference to either team! Now that's coverage... 

That's harsh. There's a still image where both ourselves and Ayr are tacked on in the final seconds!

I actually thought it was their highlights package. 

However, it's par for the course - the BBC Football Scotland lead story is about a player who's been 2nd fiddle for 18 - 24 months at his club and whether he'll get a new deal 😴

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I see it as a free hit really. It's been a bonus getting this far to be honest. I just hope we do ourselves justice tonight unlike Tues. Should be a good open game which should suit us but Ayr are a very decent side so we will need to be on top of our game. 

It ain’t a free hit is terms of what it would do to the short and medium term club finances. The Board have made it abundantly clear what the challenges are. Winning tonight cuts everyone some slack and a chance to build FSS in a more realistic timescale and at the same time give McGlynn the budget to make a fist of the Championship or finally get us out this hell hole of L1 if we don’t get up. 

44 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Second right, back row, next to Houstie (and er..one Arthur Grant).  Great for us back in the day - dependable, consistent, good tackler, decent pace. Can't remember him having a bad game. Well-deserved recognition! Pretty sure Kenny Dalglish played (for Falkirk) in Andy's testimonial at Brockville. 

19841.jpg

Souness as well.

59 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Second right, back row, next to Houstie (and er..one Arthur Grant).  Great for us back in the day - dependable, consistent, good tackler, decent pace. Can't remember him having a bad game. Well-deserved recognition! Pretty sure Kenny Dalglish played (for Falkirk) in Andy's testimonial at Brockville. 

19841.jpg

Got them all apart from top left and the boy next to him, and second left between McCulley and McAllister?

49 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes, I never voted for Nicol in this thing, but am delighted he is getting recognition.

Souness played for Falkirk too in his testimonial. I've got a photo of GS, AN and KD together somewhere.

8 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Souness as well.

Aye. 😉

18 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Top left is Kenny Ashwood.

The others Duncan Angus and David Bell?

Had been trying to forget that Ashwood played for us as he wasn't exactly prolific! Is Davey Bell in the bottom row then? I thought he was a tiny wee guy, doesn't look like that in the photo. I'm sure my very auld memory is likely playing tricks on me though.

42 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It ain’t a free hit is terms of what it would do to the short and medium term club finances. The Board have made it abundantly clear what the challenges are. Winning tonight cuts everyone some slack and a chance to build FSS in a more realistic timescale and at the same time give McGlynn the budget to make a fist of the Championship or finally get us out this hell hole of L1 if we don’t get up. 

Still unbudgeted money though at the end of the day. I'm not going to go crazy at the players if we don't win tonight considering we're a good number of places below them in the pyramid. We've already made more money than we'd have hoped for in the cup . Last thing you want is added pressure on the players thinking it's a must win game which it certainly isn't. Just go out and give it your best shot.

23 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Had been trying to forget that Ashwood played for us as he wasn't exactly prolific! Is Davey Bell in the bottom row then? I thought he was a tiny wee guy, doesn't look like that in the photo. I'm sure my very auld memory is likely playing tricks on me though.

Ashwood played for us in two spells!

34 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I wonder if the game's in any doubt tonight? I was at Ochilview earlier and the amount of water on the pitch was incredible. Not sure that their drainage will be as good as ours right enough?

Ochilview always has standing water issues. Especially in the corner on the stand side near the 5 a side cages.

Been some amount of rain falling though.

36 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Still unbudgeted money though at the end of the day. I'm not going to go crazy at the players if we don't win tonight considering we're a good number of places below them in the pyramid. We've already made more money than we'd have hoped for in the cup . Last thing you want is added pressure on the players thinking it's a must win game which it certainly isn't. Just go out and give it your best shot.

Nor would I but a victory would be a huge boost and should not be under estimated IMO

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

EB8C4DB3-AA17-41D2-8CFA-8016E3F1555C.jpeg

Brilliant photo, I was lucky enough to be at that game. Seeing Dalglish and Souness wearing Falkirk tops at Brockville was a massive thrill. Still got the programme and cuttings etc in the loft I think. I echo others sentiments, my memories of Andy Nicol were all positive, great player, rarely had a poor game, nice guy, and accountant so trained part time I believe.

Always recall a wee snippet in Ruperts Roar about Kenny Ashwood in which he was nicknamed Kenny Ashtray cos there had always been doubts about him! That was a cracking fanzine, that some of the content you just wouldn't get away with now. 

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Brilliant photo, I was lucky enough to be at that game. Seeing Dalglish and Souness wearing Falkirk tops at Brockville was a massive thrill. Still got the programme and cuttings etc in the loft I think. I echo others sentiments, my memories of Andy Nicol were all positive, great player, rarely had a poor game, nice guy, and accountant so trained part time I believe.

Andy Nicol's biggest asset was he was consistent. Never flash just put in one solid performance in one after another throughout the season.

Must have been great to be in the same team as him.