The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Agree about having a standing area but would we be able to build an open terrace now or would it have to be that rail seating stuff Celtic have? What’s the actual legislation at the moment? 

Somerset Park, Cappielow , Gayfield etc are all valid for the Premiership. 

There are small limitations in that there has to be a certain amount of covered seats for Prem. 500 minimum, I believe. In fact, I'd struggle to think of many clubs in the championship / league 1 that don't meet current requirements for the top flight.

The rules around all seater stadia were abolished at the point where SPFL was formed from the SPL / SFL merger. 

So aye, get some terracing put up on the empty side. Would be class.

4 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

They could form their own mini league and play a season of Old Firm derbies and their own exclusive cup competitions

My thoughts too. Make no mistake, the proddies who never go to church and the catholics who never go to chapel would turn up in their droves for all 36 games. They could perhaps mix it up in games 10, 20, and 30 by them having to play crazy golf, pop up pirate and ice hockey. The knuckle daggers would still turn up in numbers.

The dream is of course that the EFL allow them in, and they no longer have any sort of presence in Scottish football.

Remember too that distribution of funds (apart from TV) was pretty much predicated on the horror show that was the Ibrox Disaster.

Rangers argued that their support were paying for the Ibrox re-build, and it was unfair that half of the gate money went to the visiting side who brought a few hundred to the game. It was successfully argued that each club could keep the funds it brought to the game…..I.E., home gate receipts.

As you dropped down the leagues, the principle was the same. For example, it would be a tough ask to expect Falkirk v Livingston with any attendance of 4,000 to hand over half the gate receipts to the visiting side who brought 87 people to the game.

I suppose the unfair stuff is TV and other monies are not used for the betterment of the game. Just syphoned off by the usual culprits.

I see Andy Nicol is the latest legend to be named in the North Stand initiative. Can someone describe his time at the club please? Also, I started going in 90/91 and he came back for 10 games that season. Anyone know the background to that? Gary Smith would’ve been the first choice right back at that point. 

Guest FFC1965

I see that the SPFL https://spfl.co.uk/pages/key-dates doesn't yet show our playoff dates.  

I'm assuming that they will run like previous years ie start the midweek immediately after the final fixtures therefore...... 

Semis on 9/10 & 13/14 May (we'll be Away 1st if we finish 2nd)

Final on 16/17 and 20/21 May (we'll be home 1st if we get through and play Championship 9th place - vice versa if its the team that finished 4th in L1)

I see Arbroath's last two home games are Cove (34th game) then Hamilton on the final day.    

My only playoff wish is that Airdrie don't feature  

5 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Agree about having a standing area but would we be able to build an open terrace now or would it have to be that rail seating stuff Celtic have? What’s the actual legislation at the moment? 

You can have what you want these days. If Arbroath had won the league last season then gayfield would've been fine. Clubs doing safe standing have to because they aren't going to knock down stands to replace it with terracing.

Guest FFC1965
15 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I see Andy Nicol is the latest legend to be named in the North Stand initiative. Can someone describe his time at the club please? Also, I started going in 90/91 and he came back for 10 games that season. Anyone know the background to that? Gary Smith would’ve been the first choice right back at that point. 

Others will know more but briefly

- Local lad (Graeme High iirc) 

- Over 300 appearances https://bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/profile.php?name=1|1979|Nicol 

- Im sure his dad Harry was involved at the club as a coach ("trainer" in those days) and was a weel kent face too.  I can recall him joining in with a few kickabouts we we used to have as kids at the Bellsmeadow (before they put a HBFO road through it) and we dreamt that he was scouting us.  

- Andy was a long serving super steady full back whose 13 year career spanned our rise from the 3rd tier to 1st.  

- Ive no idea if he left and came back towards the end of his career.  My guess would be that he missed almost every game in 89/90 through injury and returned for a few games in 90/91 before leaving the club in summer 91.  As I said others will definitely know better

2 minutes ago, FFC1965 said:

Others will know more but briefly

- Local lad (Graeme High iirc) 

- Over 300 appearances https://bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/profile.php?name=1|1979|Nicol 

- Im sure his dad Harry was involved at the club as a coach ("trainer" in those days) and was a weel kent face too.  I can recall him joining in with a few kickabouts we we used to have as kids at the Bellsmeadow (before they put a HBFO road through it) and we dreamt that he was scouting us.  

- Andy was a long serving super steady full back whose 13 year career spanned our rise from the 3rd tier to 1st.  

- Ive no idea if he left and came back towards the end of his career.  My guess would be that he missed almost every game in 89/90 through injury and returned for a few games in 90/91 before leaving the club in summer 91.  As I said others will definitely know better

I recall he was part time as he had a good job as an accountant (?), I'm sure one season he had to go over to USA with work and that was why he missed a good part of that season.

46 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

One of the best right backs ever to play for us in my time,never let you down and just an all round good guy.

Just sharing this as it was made by one of our FSS members. 

This is what a community club and organisation is all about. It’s ok to say the FSS should do this or that but it isn’t always possible due to resources. As a fan owned club, if we want to move forward, then it has to be together. Also as much as we appreciate it is unaffordable to join for many, it’s not all about financing but simply promoting the FSS, liking and sharing the social media posts or helping any which way you can to try and get more members to join and help propel the club forward. 

So, if you have pals that you think can join then please ask them or if you are able to contribute more then please offer to do so. 

It’s volunteer led and a lot of time is already spent on administrating it so we’re welcome to anyone who can offer help grow our membership further in the knowledge that all money goes to the club(minus some small fees). 

You can DM us on our socials or email admin@falkirksupporters.org

Edited by Van_damage