The Falkirk FC Thread

Until there is a fair distribution of wealth nothing will change. It is bad enough that they have 45k+ ST holders but they also hoover up the majority of the TV money. It is only going to get worse and the mediocre tail is going to get longer. 
The OF don’t want change 

On 10/03/2023 at 19:33, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I loved Brockville too, however, I don’t get too misty-eyed about the atmosphere part of it. For every 6000 plus gates we had in the 90s, I remember plenty games where we had 2500 gates at home to Dumbarton or Brechin as well. It was still a decent way to spend a Saturday afternoon but it was hardly a charged, electric atmosphere!

The thing is though smaller crowds at brockville still had a better atmosphere than your average crowd at TFS .  You need a good 6 or 7 thousand now to get TFS going whilst back then 4000 at brockville  and it was bouncing. 

47 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Since 2000:

Spain - 5 League winners (Deportivo, Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona), 10 Copa del Rey winners (the above plus Sevilla, Zaragoza, Mallorca, Espanol and Real Betis)

Germany - 5 League winners (Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Dortmund, Bayern), 9 DFB-Pokal winners (the above plus Schalke 04, 1. FC Nurnburg, Eintracht Frankfurt and RB Leipzig)

France -7 League winners (Nantes, Lyon, Lille, Montpellier, Marseille, Monaco, PSG), 11 Coupe de France winners (5 of the above (not Marseille or Montpellier) plus Strasbourg, Lorient, Guingamp (twice, once while in Ligue 2!), Auxerre, Sochaux, Rennes)

Netherlands - 5 League Winners (PSV, Ajax, AZ Alkmaar, FC Twente, Feyenoord), 9 KVNB Cup winners (4 of the above (not AZ), plus Utrecht, Herenveen, Zwolle, Vitesse Arnhem, FC Groenigen)

Scotland - 2 League winners (Rangers (including Sevco), Celtic), 7 Scottish Cup winners (the above plus St Johnstone, Hibs, Hearts, Inverness, Dundee Utd)

So we're about Par with other counties for the main domestic cup, but miles ahead in terms of domination for the league title.

It's been 40 years since anyone other than rangers or Celtic won the top flight. 40 bloody years. I doubt any of those other leagues can .atch that shoddy statistic.

13 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The thing is though smaller crowds at brockville still had a better atmosphere than your average crowd at TFS .  You need a good 6 or 7 thousand now to get TFS going whilst back then 4000 at brockville  and it was bouncing. 

If they could do something about the roofs over the stands it would make a big difference. Could they be lowered for example or maybe put panel across the width of the stand roof. Would help with the acoustics therefore the atmosphere and importantly keep out the weather.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

It's been 40 years since anyone other than rangers or Celtic won the top flight. 40 bloody years. I doubt any of those other leagues can .atch that shoddy statistic.

& only 4 in 60, so nothing new.

You’d have to be in your mid 80’s to have seen any decent competition with 8 Scottish titles going outwith that pair, in the last 70 years.

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think in many years of the club doing a lot to attract families to the stadium, which is the right thing to do and you can see it in the numbers, thr atmosphere has suffered accordingly.

There are plenty of non families in there that can make far more of a din though. Try & sing in the main stand & you genuinely get tutted at 😂. It’s brutal.

KM stand could be louder too, especially G/Mouth side of that stand. 

If I was a multi-billionaire with money to burn I'd buy both the Arse Cheeks and amalgamate them! Their fans would go apoplectic and stop attending, the new club would go bust and Scottish football would finally be competitive. We can all dream, can't we?

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think in many years of the club doing a lot to attract families to the stadium, which is the right thing to do and you can see it in the numbers, thr atmosphere has suffered accordingly.

I disagree. The families grow and the kids pick up the songs (for good or bad!) and its passed from generation to generation. 

That we don't sing is for me, due to a rather threadbare songbook which has consisted of WBWW, "Down in the town"  and "You are my Sunshine" for the majority of my time watching. 

The others are fairly anachronistic such as Stainrod, Scobbies and McHughs in recent memory so don't tend to get an airing much.

Not heard the latest ones particularly clearly for McGlynn and Rowe but from what I understand they fall into that category.

Love it or hate it, Amarillo is still a belter but it's not one we tend to start on our own.

Maybe we're not very musical 🤨

As someone mentioned earlier, the ability just to move out about in the terraces was a good thing. Even during the game.

It just felt a bit more real standing watching the football (with the opportunity to sit in the stand as well). Sometimes standing was a bit of a slog (I felt like leaving at times if was it a drab day on a cold or rainy day) but, it also felt a bit more of rewarding experience in a way.

A safe standing terrace would be a good thing in theory at TFS.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

2 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Edited 1 minute

Perfectly do-able while we're below the Prem. 

Only thing I'd borrow from baseball 🥱 would be this idea. Buy your Bovril etc and stand and watch the match.

The East stand area would be ideal. 

Screenshot_20230312-140014.png

4 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

We are less competitive than those leagues you mentioned Tbf. Celtic have won 93% of league games this season rising to 95% in all domestic games. Bayern 61%. Arsenal 77%. PSG 77%. For leagues with similar ranking to us, Belgium 75% and Austria 80%. Our top league is easily the least competitive when you consider Rangers have won c.80% of league games also and Hearts in 3rd are 25 points behind 2nd.

Ours is the worst by a mile.

My point is not based on the stats from this season but generally over the piece. Bayern have won the German league 17 times in the last 22 years. Pretty comprehensive one horse race in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

As someone mentioned earlier, the ability just to move out about in the terraces was a good thing. Even during the game.

It just felt a bit more real standing watching the football (with the opportunity to sit in the stand as well). Sometimes standing was a bit of a slog (I felt like leaving at times if was it a drab day on a cold or rainy day) but, it also felt a bit more of rewarding experience in a way.

Agree about having a standing area but would we be able to build an open terrace now or would it have to be that rail seating stuff Celtic have? What’s the actual legislation at the moment? 

58 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

If I was a multi-billionaire with money to burn I'd buy both the Arse Cheeks and amalgamate them! Their fans would go apoplectic and stop attending, the new club would go bust and Scottish football would finally be competitive. We can all dream, can't we?

If I was a billionaire, I’d do a Man City with Falkirk and really shaft the bigot brothers up 😅

12 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I loved Brockville as much as the next fan (see my earlier post) but we have to acknowledge that it was of its time. In fact, at the end, it had gone past its time, it was a dump (see Cappielow and Somerset Park).

I think that the consensus on here is that we are unhappy with TFS but neither do we want a Lego Land stadium like St. Mirren’s. The preferred option would appear to be a smaller version of Tynecastle but that ship has sailed and we have what we have. Therefore, we have to make the most of what we have.

So, let us do a SWOT analysis:

Strengths

3 sided stadium

Located slap bang in the centre of Scotland

Easy access via the motorway network

Plastic pitch

Weaknesses

3 sided stadium

Lacks atmosphere

Plastic pitch

Opportunities

See strengths. As we have seen in the past we have an ideal stadium, location, pitch and accessibility for concerts. We just need to hope, indeed I would suspect, that the sales and marketing team who are doing a fantastic job are already on to this, contacting acts and agents and proposing TFS as a venue for the next few summers. Helps plug the annual £400K hole that we keep talking about.

(Because of the above,*heresy alert* I am not totally opposed to remaining a 3 sided stadium for the foreseeable future due to the additional funds that it can generate. However, I acknowledge that the “empty space” that is the 4th sided of the stadium needs to be dealt with to improve atmosphere and noise on match days).

Threats

Lack of atmosphere on match days

Surely it would be possible to erect say a 60ft high “wall” of scaffolding along the length of the pitch on the Grangemouth side and then cover it with some navy blue, industrial strength, heavy duty nylon sheeting or such like? Then emblazon it with a humungous COYB logo. Not unlike the Rayo Vallecano wall proposed by @Bairns1994Have some holes poked in it to allow the wind through so that it doesn’t collapse in a storm. Easy enough to take down at the end of the season for the music concerts.

If / when we get to the Premiership we could then install some terracing over there and that could be our Ultras special place where they can bang their drums to their hearts content.

image.jpeg.fc962dcfccfe6a759efbaa580d5e46de.jpeg

The grisly old print veteran in me insists that I let you know that mesh banner material exists for this type of work.

Sorry for being even more boring than usual.