The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

There was a group of about twenty of the wee tits running after a supporters bus at the back of the away end on Tuesday. 
Didn’t seem to know what to do when the bus stopped!

I’ll be kind and say the oldest one would have been around 15.

Probably the same ones that were in that posters video clip of his mates.

11 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is just a cringe fest. WTF was that banner all about the other night? 

It was a nod to Stuart Adamson. 

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning the green brigade, the first ultras group in Scotland was St Mirren I'm sure, who in turn got the idea from Europe, no group in the UK is the first to do it but I'm not sure what that has to do with it. 

It's not for me but then it's not what I'm looking for on my gameday experience. What is indisputable though is that it is what a fairly large amount of young fans want. It's pretty bizarre there's been so many posts on this thread sneering at ultras groups, while then bemoaning TFS for it's fairly stale atmosphere, meanwhile it seems you've got Falkirk fans trying to organise a display for a big game, which is how most ultra groups start and snowball from. 

It's only natural that you'll find somethjng you're not a part of cringe worthy, go and speak to a non football fan about what they think about someone travelling the length and breadth of the country to idolise a man kicking a ball about, or go back and look at your teenage years and see what influenced your life and fashion, Pink, britpop etc, it was all most likely cringe to the generation looking down at you. It's teenagers, let them do what they're gonna do. 

If we're talking about cringe BTW, why on earth is anyone getting misty eyed about another teams hooligan firm? "Ooooo, those big strong Airdrie fans would beat up those teenagers". Christ, that is cringe. 

3 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I loved Brockville too, however, I don’t get too misty-eyed about the atmosphere part of it. For every 6000 plus gates we had in the 90s, I remember plenty games where we had 2500 gates at home to Dumbarton or Brechin as well. It was still a decent way to spend a Saturday afternoon but it was hardly a charged, electric atmosphere!

I was thinking along these lines not so long ago. 

First off, I absolutely loved Brockville and would go back in a. Heart beat but when you look at attendances they were a lot lower than what we are getting now. Even when Alex Totten had us competing at the top of the First division with players like Crunchie, Moss, Crabbe and Marino Keith we were regularly  getting under 3,000 at games. Season 90-91 when heading to the title we had just over 4,000 vs Brechin. Even under Sheerin we were getting around 3,500 at games. 

Is this because the Falkirk Stadium is more family friendly, has better facilities, is more accessible for the elderly and disabled and/or people don’t decide last minute to stay in the pub? 

5 hours ago, Van_damage said:

First off, I absolutely loved Brockville and would go back in a. Heart beat but when you look at attendances they were a lot lower than what we are getting now. Even when Alex Totten had us competing at the top of the First division with players like Crunchie, Moss, Crabbe and Marino Keith we were regularly  getting under 3,000 at games. Season 90-91 when heading to the title we had just over 4,000 vs Brechin. Even under Sheerin we were getting around 3,500 at games. 

Is this because the Falkirk Stadium is more family friendly, has better facilities, is more accessible for the elderly and disabled and/or people don’t decide last minute to stay in the pub? 

Maybe the Falkirk Stadium has a more accurate method of counting the attendance unlike Brockville where there was a certain degree of estimation used

Edited by grumpyoldman

Going back to the ultra groups and the whole ultra scene I really don’t have a problem with it. Don’t get me wrong,  I am way past getting involved in any of that stuff by probably about 40 years and I find it strange that any grown adult over a certain age wants to get involved in it but if that’s what floats their boat who am I to judge.

Are we all so fickle that if a group of youngsters from the Falkirk area got themselves together and wanted to follow the team home and away whilst creating displays, banging drums and setting off pyros we would hunt them. If that’s the case then for me that’s sad. Whatever it takes to attract youngsters to follow the Bairns and keep them coming back and away from supporting the likes of the arse cheeks then so be it. The atmosphere at our games is shit and a lot of the younger kids that sit in my vicinity in the South spend there time on their phones probably dragged there by parents trying like my Dad did to make sure allegiance’s stick.

I’m not saying I would enjoy the constant banging of a drum and I would probably make sure I had paracetamol with me but if that’s the current trend for youngsters at games then so be it. Us old foggies shouldn’t pick faults in it. Stick them in the corner of the Main Stand next to the away fans and let them do their thing. Who knows it might attract more youngsters to our games. 

Probably an unpopular opinion but so be it.

59 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Going back to the ultra groups and the whole ultra scene I really don’t have a problem with it. Don’t get me wrong,  I am way past getting involved in any of that stuff by probably about 40 years and I find it strange that any grown adult over a certain age wants to get involved in it but if that’s what floats their boat who am I to judge.

Are we all so fickle that if a group of youngsters from the Falkirk area got themselves together and wanted to follow the team home and away whilst creating displays, banging drums and setting off pyros we would hunt them. If that’s the case then for me that’s sad. Whatever it takes to attract youngsters to follow the Bairns and keep them coming back and away from supporting the likes of the arse cheeks then so be it. The atmosphere at our games is shit and a lot of the younger kids that sit in my vicinity in the South spend there time on their phones probably dragged there by parents trying like my Dad did to make sure allegiance’s stick.

I’m not saying I would enjoy the constant banging of a drum and I would probably make sure I had paracetamol with me but if that’s the current trend for youngsters at games then so be it. Us old foggies shouldn’t pick faults in it. Stick them in the corner of the Main Stand next to the away fans and let them do their thing. Who knows it might attract more youngsters to our games. 

Aye, but don't throw the fucking pyro on the pitch, or anything else come to that. 

58 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree with you HK. In my mind there’s no doubt we’re at a disadvantage because of the stale atmosphere at TFS, and even away from home to a lesser degree. Aside from the very questionable behaviour on Tuesday, you could see their players were absolutely soaking up all of the pre-match stuff from their section NW. Say what you want about their display, but it was a good effort for a fairly small group of fans with presumably a limited budget. It will only have encouraged their players. Basically I think we as a club are missing a trick in that regard - literally every other club is doing stuff like that now. 

9 hours ago, Van_damage said:

I think the Jeffries era gave  Brockville a new lease of life for a short period towards the end but then parts of the stadium started to close and then it was really a case of moving out ASAP. 

The one thing Brockville wins hands down though is being located right in the heart of town!

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

I agree with Van Damage re Brockville. Look back misty eyed all the time, and would love to still be there, but in my time there there were far more weeks where it was poorly attended with a nothing atmosphere than blood and thunder, packed out crowds. 

Good Brockville beats the piss out of good TFS, but overall atmosphere wise they are much of a muchness for the most part. 

20 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Agree but selling more advertising is where it might come unstuck. 

Alternatively build it and use it for permanent flags or slogans. Even a contemporary mural/artwork to block off some of the corner space perhaps. 

Shouldn’t be a problem, prime advertising space.

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

All good apart from the drums!

59 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I agree with Van Damage re Brockville. Look back misty eyed all the time, and would love to still be there, but in my time there there were far more weeks where it was poorly attended with a nothing atmosphere than blood and thunder, packed out crowds. 

Good Brockville beats the piss out of good TFS, but overall atmosphere wise they are much of a muchness for the most part. 

Would you rather have Brockville or a mini Tynecastle?