The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Not sure if people are aware, but the display originally planned for the dunfermline game will be used on Monday night so if you're in the south stand please get involved or it will look ridiculous

When was that decided? 

32 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Thing is, the SPFL take a significant slice of play off game revenue, so they will do nothing to lower the number of games, and will do nothing to lessen 11th place chances of staying up. It’s a rigged system.

Don't think they take quite as big a chunk out the Championship play off but the Premiership play off goes to pay for the parachute payment when you drop out the top flight.

2 minutes ago, Wind Chime Jimmy said:

Wasn't your display against us at your own ground just absolutely awful? Like its of paper caught on a barbed wire fence, fluttering in the wind.

Hope it's improved guys.

Screenshot_20230308-160640.jpg

Just now, Wind Chime Jimmy said:

Wasn't your display against us at your own ground just absolutely awful? Like bits of paper caught on a barbed wire fence, fluttering in the wind.

Hope it's improved guys.

That was very poor, very quickly put together after the club let you guys have one for some reason. This one is just flags, like Newcastles at wembley for a reference. Nothing special. Thought your one last night was pish though

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Don't think they take quite as big a chunk out the Championship play off but the Premiership play off goes to pay for the parachute payment when you drop out the top flight.

………and so half will go to the automatically relegated side, and the other half for the 11th placed side if they go down…….but if they don’t go down, have you any insight on what happens to the money?

48 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

The Championship - Premiership playoff system is completely fucked. To go up as 3rd or 4th placed team you have to win 3x 2-legged ties which is a joke. To avoid relegation you only need to win 1. League 1 - Champiosnship is so much better. Realistically should be top 2 up, bottom 2 down or bottom two guaranteed down, 1st place - automatic promotion, 2nd and 3rd play over 2 legs

They would doubtless point to Queen’s Park as ample evidence that it is a fair system.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

………and so half will go to the automatically relegated side, and the other half for the 11th placed side if they go down…….but if they don’t go down, have you any insight on what happens to the money?

Nope no idea I assume the SPFL just keep it. Some years they must make fortunes you guys Vs Killie us again Dundee United etc other years they must make very little.

6 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Thought your one last night was pish though

I thought it was very very good & a very nice tribute to one of our own sons - the genius that is Stuart Adamson.

5 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Where did you see that ?  Obviously impossible to tell live from far end and it was the linesman that gave the goal. The only thing i'd say, there wasn't a goal like roar until the crowd see the linesman running up the park.  

So i was right.  The ref looked towards the linesman a long time and i'd imagine he asked "Are you sure this is a goal"  The ref obviously seen Burrell's block and knew that wasn't over the line. The linesman's guessed wrongly.  

1 minute ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

Clutching at straws tbh whether the ball was over the line or not, we were aawful in second half and Dunfermline would have won regardless, big game and we bottled it again, dreading the play offs 

I'm not dreading the playoffs. I think we will go up. We absolutely were second best in the second half. They were markedly better than us. That said, its not clutching at straws to retrospectively shown that a goal was in fact, not a goal, and be a bit peeved about it. some of the things lobbed at us in the immediate aftermath was "cant defend set pieces",  "same thing again as TFS" etc etc. Except that actually, that was pretty decent last gasp defending. And, also mentioned lastnight... Goals change games. That is as correct now as it was then, and that goal shouldn't have stood. So its absolutely fair to moan about it whilst recognising we were not the better team. Its not a bottle job by any means for me. We lost to the better team, but the circumstances turn ou tto be iffy

9 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

So i was right.  The ref looked towards the linesman a long time and i'd imagine he asked "Are you sure this is a goal"  The ref obviously seen Burrell's block and knew that wasn't over the line. The linesman's guessed wrongly.  

I was once told by a then grade 1 referee when I was refereeing that it's better to give a dodgy foul or offside than a dodgy goal. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm not dreading the playoffs. I think we will go up. We absolutely were second best in the second half. They were markedly better than us. That said, its not clutching at straws to retrospectively shown that a goal was in fact, not a goal, and be a bit peeved about it. some of the things lobbed at us in the immediate aftermath was "cant defend set pieces",  "same thing again as TFS" etc etc. Except that actually, that was pretty decent last gasp defending. And, also mentioned lastnight... Goals change games. That is as correct now as it was then, and that goal shouldn't have stood. So its absolutely fair to moan about it whilst recognising we were not the better team. Its not a bottle job by any means for me. We lost to the better team, but the circumstances turn ou tto be iffy

Didnt make any good chances. Goals win games and we dont create enough against harder sides

Edited by SouthStander1876

1 minute ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Didnt make any good chances. Goals win games and we dont create enough against harder sides

Yeah... Like I said, the better team won, but that doesn't mean you can't take exception or wonder about the impact of a team behind handed a 1-0 lead despite not actually scoring a goal....

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Yeah... Like I said, the better team won, but that doesn't mean you can't take exception or wonder about the impact of a team behind handed a 1-0 lead despite not actually scoring a goal....

I agree the goal changes the game, my reply was more to the not dreading playoffs part. Every time we've played teams above us in the league system after the start of the season weve shat the bed and made little to no chances. Dunfermline 1-0 and 2-0, both Dundee games. We get exposed against teams higher up than us. Partick were playing a second string team and i expect to get exposed on Monday again

I'm also not too confident of any playoff success. As mentioned we have struggled against better sides, we hardly lay a glove on them so I don't see how we are suddenly going to do enough to get through a difficult set of playoff fixtures to be promoted. 

If they could prove us wrong against Ayr then maybe a slight glimmer of hope but its doubtful. 

2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

The argument that we're not able to win in front of a crowd doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.  Sure, we've lost a lot of big games but we've also won at Hampden, beaten Hibs, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Hearts at home in recent times (and some of them away).  We even beat Ross County on the last day when we were relegated.  The truth is these are the first big games we've had for a while and we've fallen short.  Certainly nonsense to suggest we've not had any bottle since the days of Cadette etc. 

You're going back the best part of a decade in relation to some of these games. For me, a more telling sample size is the now four seasons we've been at this level. The league has been won (or in one case awarded) by Raith Rovers, Partick Thistle, Cove Rangers and, barring a miracle/seismic collapse Dunfermline. In thirteeen league games against these four opponents, we have yet to win a single game. Not one. Seven points from an available thirty-nine. I don't think that record is anywhere close to being good enough for a team with legitimate title aspirations. And explains why questions about bottle/mentality/ability to perform under pressure in front of a big crowd have been and remain entirely valid. Something is going to have to change, fast, as the pressure in a tough, but winnable Scottish cup Q/F, or potentially four end-of-season play-off games sure as hell isn't going to be any less intense.

We've had a very decent season, a lot of good football, could not realistically ask for much more in terms of both recruitment and moving on unwanted players. But the ability to perform when it really matters - still a massive question mark there unfortunately, which last night did nothing to remove. Huge let-down.

1 minute ago, AGPar said:

You're going back the best part of a decade in relation to some of these games. For me, a more telling sample size is the now four seasons we've been at this level. The league has been won (or in one case awarded) by Raith Rovers, Partick Thistle, Cove Rangers and, barring a miracle/seismic collapse Dunfermline. In thirteeen league games against these four opponents, we have yet to win a single game. Not one. Seven points from an available thirty-nine. I don't think that record is anywhere close to being good enough for a team with legitimate title aspirations. And explains why questions about bottle/mentality/ability to perform under pressure in front of a big crowd have been and remain entirely valid. Something is going to have to change, fast, as the pressure in a tough, but winnable Scottish cup Q/F, or potentially four end-of-season play-off games sure as hell isn't going to be any less intense.

We've had a very decent season, a lot of good football, could not realistically ask for much more in terms of both recruitment and moving on unwanted players. But the ability to perform when it really matters - still a massive question mark there unfortunately, which last night did nothing to remove. Huge let-down.

mental stat

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Nope no idea I assume the SPFL just keep it. Some years they must make fortunes you guys Vs Killie us again Dundee United etc other years they must make very little.

Here is the relevant Rule.

image.png.f4b48f8346ef812ed9c15ebf70a9a8f0.png

It does not specify where it goes; into the general pot I suppose, although it will to all intents and purposes pay for the parachute.

image.thumb.png.5dd8047cd5dbf8dd22ec1f7d7c3e308d.png

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

23 minutes ago, AGPar said:

That’s a great sample of the last few seasons but as a fan, the period of a decade plus of being let down in these games against stronger opposition/critical games still applies. Squads/managers/even boards move on but we’ve witnessed so many let downs at a crunch point. The background to last nights game was we went into it in very good form, accumulating points, only to be dealt a hammer blow.