The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tbf, we don't need to delude ourselves that theres more than 1% chance we win the league to demand that we keep the levels up. The playoffs are a valid route for promotion. They are a route we should absolutely fancy, and haven't even made yet in this league. So for that reason, we keep going. Promotion is still in our hands, the league title isn't. McGlynn and the players jobs now is to maintain the levels that have so far, and should continue to see us with a right good chance of succeeding in getting out this league. 

I’d say 10%. Dunfermline firmly, firmly in the box seat but it’s not insurmountable if we take care of our business. I think getting the 4-2-3-1 back is key though in terms of success going forward (most probably in the play-offs).

1 hour ago, Just a bairn said:

We can agree Dunfermline are better than us and deserved to win last night and will win the league, so sure I guess we can agree on that. 

All I’m saying is making points about being grateful about playing in front of a good crowd and suggesting the team don’t have any personality because they were beaten by a better team is a bit of knee-jerk reaction. 

The manner of the defeat was poor. We had one shot on goal after a few and that was it. We couldn’t get near them second half. The players have shown some level of ability this season, they should have been able to pose more of a threat. 

We were 2nd best 2nd half of that there is no argument however with just over 20 minutes to go this changes the game. 
PS The behaviour of the contrived ultra supporters area of the stadium (West Stand?) was a disgrace. 

48 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Dunfermline have only lost one game but they’ve dropped points too. For me the two defeats against Dunfermline have been the costliest. 

In hindsight, yep, winning the 2 games with them would have been a 12 point swing.

However winning the 2 games against Kelty would have had us at the top league before last nights match. Then it would have been a “must win” game for them rather than, as it stood, having the comfort of knowing a draw was a good result. 

As I said….if yer auntie had baws

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

We were 2nd best 2nd half of that there is no argument however with just over 20 minutes to go this changes the game. 
PS The behaviour of the contrived ultra supporters area of the stadium (West Stand?) was a disgrace. 

Have to agree. The stewards and police should have intervened. Every time our player went over to that side there was a chance they would be hit by something thrown from the crowd. What really was annoying was the fact that there was no attempt to stop it as though it was acceptable.

The referee was just as culpable as he should have cleared the pitch before allowing play to continue.

I hope the club put in a formal complaint. Deduct the 3pts from them and declare we won 3-0. Plus shut down EEP for a season.

4 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Firmly disagree with this. That was a very rare win in a game that could be described as a six-pointer.

So then what is the cause of this long standing inability to win big games given that we have had poor performances in this type of game under several managers and with many, many players.

Is it negative vibes given off by the Falkirk badge, some weird mass hysteria that sweeps the dressing room, a gypsy curse, witchcraft or could it simply be the management and players not getting it right on the night as could happen with any team?

Edited by Reggie Perrin

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

So then what is the cause of this long standing inability to win big games given that we have had poor performances in this type of game under several managers and with many, many players.

Is it negative vibes given off by the Falkirk badge, some weird mass hysteria that sweeps the dressing room, a gypsy curse, witchcraft or could it simply be the management and players not getting it right on the night as could happywith any team?

I think you’re overthinking this. It’s fairly simple to me. We do well against lesser teams (the odd bogey team apart, Clyde, Kelty) and seem to struggle to get results against better teams.

1 minute ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I think you’re overthinking this. It’s fairly simple to me. We do well against lesser teams (the odd bogey team apart, Clyde, Kelty) and seem to struggle to get results against better teams.

No you were implying that it was “the Falkirk way” to bottle the bigger games.

I was in my own deeply sarcastic way pointing out that there is no underlying bogey just an infuriating habit of not playing well enough to get the job done on some of these occasions.

Also fair to point out that sometimes we just lose to better teams.

The argument that we're not able to win in front of a crowd doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.  Sure, we've lost a lot of big games but we've also won at Hampden, beaten Hibs, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Hearts at home in recent times (and some of them away).  We even beat Ross County on the last day when we were relegated.  The truth is these are the first big games we've had for a while and we've fallen short.  Certainly nonsense to suggest we've not had any bottle since the days of Cadette etc. 

Onto last night, most has been covered already though someone that has so far avoided criticism is Kai Kennedy.  A slow start, a good wee run of 2-3 games and more recently not impacting the games enough.  Similar to how other fans had predicted.  While I agree Oliver has shown many good qualities recently, its glaringly obvious not having an out and out striker is costing us in the tighter games.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

24 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

As was the behaviour of a sizeable number of ours unfortunately.  

8 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I was in my own deeply sarcastic way pointing out that there is no underlying bogey just an infuriating habit of not playing well enough to get the job done on some of these occasions.

It’s not just exclusive to better teams though. Big games can obviously be getting results against lower teams  around you in the table, where we found ourselves in 2017/18 and 2018/19. The first season we got away with it because we arguably had the worst team ever in the second tier playing in it (Brechin). 2018/19 - the BIG games against Alloa and Morton near the end of the season  - we blew it. 

17 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

There are numerous examples scattered throughout the years. The home game against St Mirren was one, as was an opening game of the season versus the Fifers. The November game versus the Fifers was another.

The daddy of them all was the second half performance against Hibs. There’s plenty of them out there, but maybe no more than anyone else, but we do have a whiff of bottling such games (whether it’s deserved or not).

I thought McGlynn had a decent record against the Pars, but it isn’t so. His record against them is pretty poor.

8 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Clearly not over the line, but for an official to signal for something he could not have seen is pretty ropey. Scottish officials seem to be drawn from the shallowest of gene pools.

17 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

The argument that we're not able to win in front of a crowd doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.  Sure, we've lost a lot of big games but we've also won at Hampden, beaten Hibs, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Hearts at home in recent times (and some of them away).  We even beat Ross County on the last day when we were relegated.  The truth is these are the first big games we've had for a while and we've fallen short.  Certainly nonsense to suggest we've not had any bottle since the days of Cadette etc. 

Onto last night, most has been covered already though someone that has so far avoided criticism is Kai Kennedy.  A slow start, a good wee run of 2-3 games and more recently not impacting the games enough.  Similar to how other fans had predicted.  While I agree Oliver has shown many good qualities recently, it’s glaringly obvious not having an out and out striker is costing us in the tighter games.  

Okay, point taken about crowd numbers. However, since Higdons winner in 2009 to escape relegation v ICT, we don’t get the job done.

The relegation decider v Killie.

3 play-off “campaigns” have failed when we went in to them with confidence.

2 national Cup Finals when it was there for us on the day.

2018/19 double header v Alloa and Morton would have gone along way to decide our destiny.

Raith Rovers game in the Covid season. 

Two Dunfermline games this season. 

We won at critical times after Cadette, but after Higdon??

14 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I'll cut the assistant a degree of slack in that that angle doesn't prove or disprove that Kinnear MAY have taken the ball over the line. 

But that's only a very small MAY as even if he did take it over there's no way with a goalpost and Kinnear's body in the way of the assistants vision that the assistant can say that crossed the line. 

He went with the crowd roar imo