The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

The issue I have with paragraph 2 is you would need Dunfermline to lose 3 from 9 games when they have lost 1 all season and require us to win 9 on the spin.

Last night was the opportunity to put down a marker if we wanted to challenge for the title and all over the park we weren’t good enough.

Take the last game out of it (Peterhead away incidentally). All I’m saying is we could still take it to the last day, with a points swing that isn’t that massive. Are Dunfermline really only going to lose one game all season? Possibly. Could they draw a few games? 

Im just counter-balancing the acceptance from folk on here that are saying it’s over. I’d say it’s a bit premature to throw in the towel.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

There was a couple of supporters arguing this exact point. (line up)on the bus home. However it’s easy to aim blame after getting beat by our bitter rivals.
McGlynn was asked in the post match interview why the changes, he said that you play you best players, arguably should we have stuck with last weeks starting line up or was it the changes that cost us the game ?

I think it’s pretty obvious that those two midfielders have been the foundation for recent success, so not really easy to blame. I like that formation, gives a good balance to the team between attack and defence.

It’s a bit McKinnon-esque by McGlyn to suggest we were good in the first half. We created absolutely nothing. God knows how he can say we should score when we’re on top, you need to have chances to actually get a goal. 
This is majorly concerning going into playoffs with the same problems. We haven’t won one must win match in around 5-years now so why would it be any different once we need to win the playoffs? 
These players should appreciate playing in front of a crowd like that yesterday because they certainly wouldn’t be good enough for Falkirk in pretty much any other era in our history. 

5 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Take the last game out of it (Peterhead away incidentally). All I’m saying is we could still take it to the last day, with a points swing that isn’t that massive. Are Dunfermline really only going to lose one game all season? Possibly. Could they draw a few games? 

Im just counter-balancing the acceptance from folk on here that are saying it’s over. I’d say it’s a bit premature to throw in the towel.

I fully expect them to be 11 points clear by Saturday teatime. Psychologically that’s massive at this point in the season.

24 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

There's no sound on yer highlights....happy to give FalkirkTV the benefit of the doubt that this is a mistake but someone should let them know. 

They weren't able to stream due to connection issues so I assume they didn't bother commentating and just watched the match instead.

Instead we had the joys of watching the Pars TV stream and listening to the older sounding commentator get every second players name wrong. Also described Chris Hamilton at one point as 'using all his experience there' when he's 21 years of age.

13 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

It is all but over and they could officially win it at our place on 8th April. As Grangemouth Bairn says, we need Dunfermline to lose 3 of their final 9 games when they've lost 1 of 27 so far. Realistically they'll beat Peterhead, Clyde and Kelty so that's 3 from 6 they need to lose. 

2 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

It is all but over and they could officially win it at our place on 8th April. As Grangemouth Bairn says, we need Dunfermline to lose 3 of their final 9 games when they've lost 1 of 27 so far. Realistically they'll beat Peterhead, Clyde and Kelty so that's 3 from 6 they need to lose. 

As @Paranoid said, draws can be killers too.

Let’s be honest Dunfermline are a stronger team than us and deserve to be where they are.

That fact doesn’t make us a bad team we are by far the best of the rest and should go into the playoffs with confidence.

This patter about always bottling the big games is lazy shite, we battered Airdrie away in a must win game just last week!

We are still a work in progress but any reasonable assessment would conclude that we are vastly better than we have been for several years.

Read earlier that someone wasn’t bothered about getting to the Cup Semi, unbelievably stupid comment considering the money to be made from winning Mondays game would go a long way to easing our financial worries.

We are all scunnered this morning after failing to lay a glove on them last night but can the doom merchants give it a fucking rest, promotion and a lucrative Semi are in our own hands.

2 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

It would be quite satisfying to do what Dunfermline did last night and play very cagey 1st half, suck the opponent in and then pounce in the second half. Throughout all my time of being a fan, we are usually the ones who try and make the running and then, quite often, get caught out in the end.

That's been our season.  There's been loads of games where we've looked 2nd best going in at half-time, only to come out a completely different side in the last 45.  Whether it's fitness and/or game plan, we seem to get stronger as the game goes on.

1 minute ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Let’s be honest Dunfermline are a stronger team than us and deserve to be where they are.

That fact doesn’t make us a bad team we are by far the best of the rest and should go into the playoffs with confidence.

This patter about always bottling the big games is lazy shite, we battered Airdrie away in a must win game just last week!

We are still a work in progress but any reasonable assessment would conclude that we are vastly better than we have been for several years.

Read earlier that someone wasn’t bothered about getting to the Cup Semi, unbelievably stupid comment considering the money to be made from winning Mondays game would go a long way to easing our financial worries.

We are all scunnered this morning after failing to lay a glove on them last night but can the doom merchants give it a fucking rest, promotion and a lucrative Semi are in our own hands.

Your point about the cup semi is spot on. For both us and Ayr the chance to get to the semi-final at Hampden vs an arse cheek with gate + TV money would be a financial godsend.

While I appreciate people saying that our season isn’t over and we simply move on - of course, this is absolutely true, we’ve still got a lot to play for and much we can possibly achieve - I don’t think you can just write it off that easily either. That second half performance was completely unacceptable, and for all the improvements we’ve made, was symptomatic of Falkirk in big games where the fans turn up. Playing against a ‘better team’ isn’t an excuse for lack of passion. The second half was so passive, and many players looked like they gave up at 1-0. For a top of the table, derby game in front of nearly 10,000 folk, it’s not simply a case of ‘oh well, we move on’. We almost accepted it when it was Hartley’s or Rennie’s bunch of serial losers as that was what was expected of them, but not this team which has built up some credit in the bank.  I’m a big fan of McGlynn and think he’s done a very, very good job considering where we were last year, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that that is two derby games in a row where he’s been outthought and the team have been outfought. 

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

They weren't able to stream due to connection issues so I assume they didn't bother commentating and just watched the match instead.

Instead we had the joys of watching the Pars TV stream and listening to the older sounding commentator get every second players name wrong. Also described Chris Hamilton at one point as 'using all his experience there' when he's 21 years of age.

Its his USP.

9 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Firmly disagree with this. That was a very rare win in a game that could be described as a six-pointer.

12 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

That's been our season.  There's been loads of games where we've looked 2nd best going in at half-time, only to come out a completely different side in the last 45.  Whether it's fitness and/or game plan, we seem to get stronger as the game goes on.

I was thinking more about teams higher up the table rather than wearing down part-time teams in the second half.

Disappointed last night and deflated this morning.

As always with hindsight it's easy to point out flaws - We didn't turn Benedictus and Breen when we were getting joy on the flanks. Kennedy and Morrison had no-one to hit when they did get near the box.

I called them "Pot shot Pars" at half-time as that was what we'd limited them to in the 1st half albeit one of them almost paid off. Felt at times we opted to pass it rather than try and sting the palms of Mehmet once or twice. 

As posters have already said, it was almost a carbon-copy of the last game and we ended up with nothing.

C'est la vie.