The Falkirk FC Thread

I'm not sure about this new fund raising idea . There's only so many times you can go to the well  and you would think it would only take people away from fss if anything. I mean if fans aren't keen to sign up to fss why would they be any keener to sign up for this? 

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'm not sure about this new fund raising idea . There's only so many times you can go to the well  and you would think it would only take people away from fss if anything. I mean if fans aren't keen to sign up to fss why would they be any keener to sign up for this? 

Yeah I don't get it either. It will more than likely be the same folk who are in FSS or even Patrons who end up contributing to it. Would it not be simpler just to canvass for more contributions to the existing methods of fundraising? Maybe I'm missing something. I expect more detail will emerge.

Lots to digest from the AGM and thanks to all sources for their updates and views.

I think we can all agree that the recent improvements across the club are commendable and on the pitch we look like we've got our act together.  

@Van_damage is also correct to say that the FSS is succeeding - the other groups that appear to have been cited at the AGM have been around for longer and we have 2/3 of Morton's in a shorter time - but because of the clubs perilous position the continued message appears to be that the fans need to do more!

There is a danger, in my view, that the club is creating a hidden cost of supporting Falkirk over-and-above the matchday price. 

In KJ's clumsy announcement he did create an unnecessary "us and them" narrative. I appreciate the message is to only give what you can but every statement decrying the current FSS uptake creates more pressure on those who can't (or contributing their limit) to perhaps exceed that.

As for the "lukewarm" action off the back of that statement and subsequent explanation I will paraphrase KJ: The club couldn't pick the right time ... and I'm afraid the fan's can't either. The club unfortunately found itself in the eye of the perfect storm.

23 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Seems very much like a replacement for the bairns 4 life fund as they've said all the money raised via that method will go into the playing budget. I agree though that it does risk taking money away from the FSS especially as people like the fact their money's going straight into the playing budget as opposed to paying other club costs.

23 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Seems very much like a replacement for the bairns 4 life fund as they've said all the money raised via that method will go into the playing budget. I agree though that it does risk taking money away from the FSS especially as people like the fact their money's going straight into the playing budget as opposed to paying other club costs.

It's an odd rationale that you'd want to contribute to one and not the other. All the clubs efforts should be focussed on helping the FSS to grow not spreading the cash between various initiatives.

Edited by Blame Me

3 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Thinking again, it would be great if we could maybe have a junior Bairns section for FSS. A nice birthday / Christmas present, 25 quid, gets them engaged with the club for the future as well, lifelong fans signed up.

Had a chat with Sarah Scott the other week regarding it. We won’t do anything that impinges on the Junior Bairns however we are looking at the potential for free membership at that age to get them included and adding a tier for 13-17 year olds so they can join when they’re above Junior Bairn age. 

3 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’m hoping the guys running FSS have the energy in them to make one more big push for sign ups between now and May, there is obviously still scope for growth. Nigel Serafini quoted a figure of 1500 members which in my opinion should be entirely achievable, it’s the same as St Mirren have, Motherwell have 3500 and even Morton have Managed 1000.

Worth bearing in mind that the FSS are run by volunteers too. We have ramped up the social media and we have committee members present on match day advertising the organisation with flyers etc. It’s hard to ask people to part with their cash for not much of value in return but we are trying. 

With that said, if you or any other members are willing to help spread the word then we’d be more than happy for you to join us on match days or wherever possible. We need everyone helping on this if we want it to grow above the likes of the Well Society. 

I haven't been following that side of things too closely but there seemed to be different fans groups in the last few years and a bit of division between them.

Could there be some of those groups holding back joining FSS because it wasn't them getting their foot in the door?

Just wondering if everyone is on the same page now. 

2 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Just wondering if everyone is on the same page now. 

It’s difficult when there has been (and potentially still are) more than one page. The FSS model is clear enough. It’s straightforward, and well enough defined. That’s not perhaps the case with anything else that’s out there.

If there are indeed other pages to this story, then it needs to be complimentary to the FSS, and not competing with the FSS for the same £££££.

The Falkirk Forever thing seems to be a bit of an unexpected curve ball, but we shall have to wait and see exactly what the story is on that front.

I joined FSS right at the outset and will certainly continue to contribute though as I have stated elsewhere I have reservations about the practicality of fan ownership.

What I am confused about however is this proposal for another fan subscription group Falkirk Forever.

What is the rational behind this?

Gives me the impression of being a wee bit knee jerk and desperate, happy to be proved wrong though.

4 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I joined FSS right at the outset and will certainly continue to contribute though as I have stated elsewhere I have reservations about the practicality of fan ownership.

What I am confused about however is this proposal for another fan subscription group Falkirk Forever.

What is the rational behind this?

Gives me the impression of being a wee bit knee jerk and desperate, happy to be proved wrong though.

They mentioned last night that fans would need to sign up for an, as yet unspecified, monthly amount  to be paid by direct debit for 12 months starting from 1st June 2023 through to 1st May 2024. I'm assuming the minimum amount will be set at £10 a month or similar.

Like a few others have mentioned I'd be inclined to give this initiative a body swerve and simply increase my FSS donation by £10 a month. Can't really see any great benefit from having the two fundraising options running in parallel.

Seems a very odd proposition and likely aimed at going to the well a second (or third) time with the same people. I certainly don't think I'll be adding a second direct debit on top of FSS and the actual cost of supporting a football team like tickets, strips etc.

I agree with the general consensus that they should focus these efforts through (not in addition to) the FSS.

I'm assuming Falkirk Forever is some sort of reaction to the feedback that FSS is unable to provide tangible 'benefits' due to VAT concerns. Falkirk Forever would (I'm guessing) mirror Aberdeen's offering of AberDNA - a monthly donation in return for club shop discount etc etc.

I sort of get that idea in principle but it feels like a simpler and less 'FSS intrusive' model would be to create this package of benefits and for the club to offer them to FSS members. 

There's a risk here of inadvertently diverting potential FSS subscribers to favouring this model.

30 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I'm assuming Falkirk Forever is some sort of reaction to the feedback that FSS is unable to provide tangible 'benefits' due to VAT concerns. Falkirk Forever would (I'm guessing) mirror Aberdeen's offering of AberDNA - a monthly donation in return for club shop discount etc etc.

I sort of get that idea in principle but it feels like a simpler and less 'FSS intrusive' model would be to create this package of benefits and for the club to offer them to FSS members. 

There's a risk here of inadvertently diverting potential FSS subscribers to favouring this model.

Club will also face the VAT conundrum too as it’s a donation scheme they intend to run. If it incurred VAT then could nullify the need for this scheme as would result in a 20% deduction from any contributions via it instead of through FSS. If FSS share benefits that are deemed eligible for VAT then worry could be that it affects FSS contributions too. 

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Club will also face the VAT conundrum too as it’s a donation scheme they intend to run. If it incurred VAT then could nullify the need for this scheme as would result in a 20% deduction from any contributions via it instead of through FSS. If FSS share benefits that are deemed eligible for VAT then worry could be that it affects FSS contributions too. 

Just a minefield.

You can lead a horse to water…………springs to mind. The business model and the only model is one where at worst we break even.
We cannot go into every season with a potential shortfall/loss of around 0.4M/0.5M.

Fully understand that the club needs additional finance, but genuinely hope that it’s not at the expense of the fans heartstrings. 
We don’t need another “fund raising” and for me concentrate more on building the FSS.
Falkirk Forever” maybe only a suggestion, but please gimme a break.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

You can lead a horse to water…………springs to mind. The business model and the only model is one where at worst we break even.
We cannot go into every season with a potential shortfall/loss of around 0.4M/0.5M.

Fully understand that the club needs additional finance, but genuinely hope that it’s not at the expense of the fans heartstrings. 
We don’t need another “fund raising” and for me concentrate more on building the FSS.
Falkirk Forever” maybe only a suggestion, but please gimme a break.

I got the impression at the meeting that it was more than a suggestion and plans were already in place to launch the scheme. A few issues were raised and a few dissenting voices from the floor so perhaps they will take heed of the feedback and quietly bin the idea.