The Falkirk FC Thread

31 minutes ago, 101 said:

That seems incredibly presumptive 

McGlynn himself said it was entirely doable, pointed out that he nearly done it with Raith on a smaller budget than he’s working with just now. I actually found it quite refreshing and a change from the normal cautious/generic statements managers fire out. On the flip side if the club can’t grow the fan ownership model between now and May and we are still in league one it sounds like it’ll be the playing budget that’s cut as there is no more fat to trim elsewhere and the club don’t intend on starting the year with a retrospective deficit to fill again, actually think promotion this season could be pivotal as to the type of club and football team we are going to watching in the years to come. There’s going to be a new scheme “Falkirk futures fund” run by the club in conjunction with season tickets this summer along with what sounds like ticket price increases to try and keep us competitive but the preferred scenario for me would be more fans simply joining the FSS or the patrons group where we actually get a level of control and influence for our money as opposed to simply just handing over more cash. I’m hoping the guys running FSS have the energy in them to make one more big push for sign ups between now and May, there is obviously still scope for growth. Nigel Serafini quoted a figure of 1500 members which in my opinion should be entirely achievable, it’s the same as St Mirren have, Motherwell have 3500 and even Morton have Managed 1000.

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Of the membership Motherwell have 700 kids paying £25/£20 per year. 

Thinking again, it would be great if we could maybe have a junior Bairns section for FSS. A nice birthday / Christmas present, 25 quid, gets them engaged with the club for the future as well, lifelong fans signed up.

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

McGlynn himself said it was entirely doable, pointed out that he nearly done it with Raith on a smaller budget than he’s working with just now. I actually found it quite refreshing and a change from the normal cautious/ generic statements managers out. On the flip side if the club can’t grow the fan ownership model between now and May and we are still in league one it sounds like it’ll be the playing budget that’s cut as there is no more fat to trim elsewhere, actually think promotion this season could be pivotal as to the type of club and football team we are going to watching in the years to come. There’s going to be a new scheme “Falkirk futures fund” run by the club in conjunction with season tickets this summer along with what sounds like ticket price increases to try and keep us competitive but the preferred scenario for me would be more fans joining the FSS or the patrons group where we actually get a level of control and influence for our money as opposed to simply just handing over more cash. I’m hoping the guys running FSS have the energy in them to make one more big push for sign ups between now and May, there is obviously still scope for growth. Nigel Serafini quoted a figure of 1500 members which in my opinion should be entirely achievable, it’s the same as St Mirren have, Motherwell have 3500 and even Morton have Magee 1000.

I mean yes it's possible, Livi did it but they won this league comfortably and I assume spent a long time planning for the following year with certainty. Neither us or yourselves should be making firm plans for the league we are in next year, that's how you bankrupt yourself.

Inflation alone will need tickets to rise I would have thought but yes running a team in this league is a challenge, the last time we were down here we turned a modest profit but I think a significant loss is on the cards for us this time around.

Supporters schemes are a very nice revenue stream for any football club but keeping members is tricky and attracting new ones is difficult, especially when you're in the shit, last year I'm sure our scheme lost a fair chunk of members due to the disaster on the field, it is likely that if you had a rerun of Hartley or McKinnon type scenario that same thing would happen to you.

8 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

With the best will in the world I cannot see fan ownership ever happening at our club.

It’s already there……or will be very shortly. Between the Patrons Group and the FSS, the % is working towards a majority of shares issued.

8 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

It wasn't presented as a plan in my eyes. Rather one of four options. 

The first option was to go back to where we were under the MSG. Figures were given which showed that we made an average loss of 450K during each of the nine seasons we spent in the championship. Those losses were offset by players sales, cup runs and soft loans in the bad years. As neither player sales nor cup runs could be guaranteed this model was seen as too risky to be a viable business plan, so it appears to have been abandoned. Albeit we gambled this season and needed 145K in soft loans from six individuals to get the accounts signed off. Though the cup run may have negated that now; I wasn't quite sure on that point. 

Second option is to cut our cloth, budget cautiously and plan to breakeven every season. Which if we'd done that this season wouldn't have given us enough money to pay the 14 players still under contract, never mind recruit more.  

Third option is to seek external investment. Nobody mentioned them, so I will. George Fulston & Hamish Deans spring to mind. 

Fourth option is for the owners of the club - the fans - to put in more money than they're doing at present via FSS, Partrons, sponsorship or any new commercial initiatives the club comes up with. 

Those present in the room were asked for a show of hands and the fourth option was the only one that got votes. 

At least that was my take on proceedings. If anyone disagrees feel free to chip in. 

The last option was unanimous with the exception of one person who wanted the “club to be sold off” option.

5 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Hard earned? it's literally pennies , or dollars in my case, to join and this is the 3rd or 4th excellent pod he's done dedicated to Falkirk.

Aye but he's an absolute dick though.

9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

That option is clearly off the table for political reasons 

The administration and cost to do this would be pretty significant for every FSS member.  Each individual would need to be registered at Companies House as well. I don’t think it’s anything to do with politics.

That’s why there is a minimum amount that an individual can buy shares (£100?) from the club, to cover time and cost. I believe that anyone can do this at anytime and proxy their share to the FSS if they wish. Would need someone from the FSS to confirm.

what could be done is something similar to the old Sharesave scheme. When a certain threshold of payment is passed, the option to transfer the shares into an individual’s name could be offered.

5 minutes ago, Rugster said:

For anyone there was it stated whether the new pitch would be grass or artificial?

If it's a grant we're getting it'll definitely be astroturf.

7 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Watson & Williamson two to three weeks away and Lawal not far behind hopefully only a month before he's back in contention.

16 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

If it's a grant we're getting it'll definitely be astroturf.

Watson & Williamson two to three weeks away and Lawal not far behind hopefully only a month before he's back in contention.

Can’t see Williamson even getting in the squad. If he played, he would last about 15 minutes before going off injured……and that’s without tackling anyone from the opposition. 

31 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

One for the historians. 

Is £1.2m the worst loss in the history of the club.

Guest Brockvillenomore
9 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

It wasn't presented as a plan in my eyes. Rather one of four options. 

The first option was to go back to where we were under the MSG. Figures were given which showed that we made an average loss of 450K during each of the nine seasons we spent in the championship. Those losses were offset by players sales, cup runs and soft loans in the bad years. As neither player sales nor cup runs could be guaranteed this model was seen as too risky to be a viable business plan, so it appears to have been abandoned. Albeit we gambled this season and needed 145K in soft loans from six individuals to get the accounts signed off. Though the cup run may have negated that now; I wasn't quite sure on that point. 

Second option is to cut our cloth, budget cautiously and plan to breakeven every season. Which if we'd done that this season wouldn't have given us enough money to pay the 14 players still under contract, never mind recruit more.  

Third option is to seek external investment. Nobody mentioned them, so I will. George Fulston & Hamish Deans spring to mind. 

Fourth option is for the owners of the club - the fans - to put in more money than they're doing at present via FSS, Partrons, sponsorship or any new commercial initiatives the club comes up with. 

Those present in the room were asked for a show of hands and the fourth option was the only one that got votes. 

At least that was my take on proceedings. If anyone disagrees feel free to chip in. 

100% agree. I took a very short cut in my post. What last night confirms there is a wish and desire for fan ownership and while FSS have done really well £100k a season on current numbers isn’t enough to get us two promotions. 

We could be on the cusp of something special here, what looks to be a better run club, a management team who have shown what they can do in a very short period.

The board were pretty clear last night, they won’t jeopardise the club by running at a loss they cannot fill. 

I suppose, however this ends up, will be down to the fans.  Hence my first post, if this doesn’t work we will either be sold, or live within our means.  

2 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Can’t see Williamson even getting in the squad. If he played, he would last about 15 minutes before going off injured……and that’s without tackling anyone from the opposition. 

That’s my take on Williamson. There’s no way we’re going to jeopardise his new employer, and will only play as a last resort, unfortunately the same goes for Watson, if we keep our present defenders fit, we won’t see Watson making too many appearances.