The Falkirk FC Thread

I’ve continuously got at the pathetic standard of refereeing we’ve had to endure, but Collum was from different class. As mentioned let the game flow but commanded respect from both sides. Got the red spot on as the lad had two other tackles go unpunished. 
Maybe we’ve turned the corner with these type of games, as more than often “we’d Hibs it”

Clearly we looked very strong, players shutting down second balls and closing space throughout. Henderson turning in the type of performance we’ve sadly lacked since dropping down the leagues, and Morrison & Kennedy providing the pace & width. Morrison with another goal and Oliver/Nisbett seem to be striking up a great understanding. I slagged off our captain a few weeks ago, thought last night was his best in the NB. One game doesn’t make a season but what a bloody platform for the progression in both cup and the kick on in our quest for promotion. Last word on Darvel , great wee place, deserved the worlds media embarking on their village, some decent players, and probably the best steak pie I’ve had. Negative - just watched their managers cringeworthy pre match speech, sometimes it’s better to leave what worked against Aberdeen alone. Players actually looked embarrassed.

That was a fun night. 

Decent enough ground although some of their “fans” are an odd bunch. Not sure if they were OF fans, Killie fans or a weird part time mix. Quite enjoyed them losing tbh  (I’m sure there are decent Darvel fans and fair play to them).

Credit to McGlynn - it was obvious we prepared well and knew what we had to do. 5-1 maybe a wee bit harsh but equally I don’t think 2-1 was an accurate reflection either. We bullied them in the midfield, controlled the game for about 80 minutes and let them lose their discipline nicely.

Have to say I’m in two minds if it was a complete goalkeeper error or a freak goal. Looking back I think it was actually an mis-hit cross and harder than it looked to save, but the pundits all seemed to agree PJ should have done better. FWIW, I think PJ has done very well since he has come back. His distribution is not as good as Hogarth but he is a much, much better shot-stopper. 

As for Darvel, I thought they worked hard but to be honest outside of their attacking threat were pretty soft, especially for a one-off game. They’re probably better than Clyde or Peterhead but if you compare to our most recent games then kelty and Alloa are both much better. Maybe a top end league 2 side.

Edited by Just a bairn

I thought Darvel’s manager’s arrogance or naivety cost them. “Oh we play open attacking football no matter who we play” played into our hands. Where have we struggled this season? When teams have sat in, given us the ball and said come and break us down. Darvel pushed on, left loads of space down the flanks and in behind and it was always going to cost them as our pace just killed them. 

9 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Don't really understand Richard Foster's wee dig saying the players were enjoying it too much at the final whistle. As far as I could see they were just showing appreciation to the fans that had travelled.

He was a bit more complimentary later on but that was a bizarre comment. It's a L1 team a game away from Hampden. Might be the only chance some of these players get to play there. 

I'd have Ayr as marginal favourites but both teams will be happy with that draw.

Edited by lanky_ffc

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

... Negative - just watched their managers cringeworthy pre match speech, sometimes it’s better to leave what worked against Aberdeen alone. Players actually looked embarrassed.

I did find it odd they were televising it again seeing as both Mick Kennedy and the players said it's pretty standard fare for most games.

One for Darvel fans to ponder but did it  work against them ultimately as he knew he'd need to top the Aberdeen one in some respects and "please" the audience.

We'll never know what McGlynn said exactly but it's left me buzzing this morning 🤗

31 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I did find it odd they were televising it again seeing as both Mick Kennedy and the players said it's pretty standard fare for most games.

One for Darvel fans to ponder but did it  work against them ultimately as he knew he'd need to top the Aberdeen one in some respects and "please" the audience.

We'll never know what McGlynn said exactly but it's left me buzzing this morning 🤗

Maybe it’s five years in the wilderness really sinking in. Just a slight chink that we’re 90 minutes away from Hampden which if someone had said a few months back, I wouldn’t have believed. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Ayr game weekend 11th March. Due to play Montrose away. Interesting that we’ve now got two games that now need scheduling midweek. My guess is that it will suit Fife to keep on running down games. I’m assuming the protocol is fully with the home club to set a date ? 

I think both clubs may have been waiting to see if you’d progress in the cup first. Fully expect that game will be announced this week at some point for a midweek in March. 

43 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I think both clubs may have been waiting to see if you’d progress in the cup first. Fully expect that game will be announced this week at some point for a midweek in March. 

This would have made sense earlier in the cup competition when both clubs being eliminated would have opened up a weekend to play the game but at this later stage, league 1 doesn’t bother taking the cup weekends off. 

Dunfermline absolutely mustn’t be allowed to drag it into April and get the last derby of the season at EEP. It must be played before the 8th April game at TFS. 

Quite an exciting end to the season coming up for us with an opportunity to earn the right to play at Hampden and then likely playoffs after that. It’s the first time in years that Falkirk fans are approaching the run in with anything but utter dread. 

15 minutes ago, Donathan said:

This would have made sense earlier in the cup competition when both clubs being eliminated would have opened up a weekend to play the game but at this later stage, league 1 doesn’t bother taking the cup weekends off. 

Dunfermline absolutely mustn’t be allowed to drag it into April and get the last derby of the season at EEP. It must be played before the 8th April game at TFS. 

Not exactly. If BBC Scotland fancy sticking you on the telly again for a fee then you’ll not be wanting that midweek will you?

Edit - and I’d be shocked if this game didn’t go ahead before 8th April. We’ve already established no more Saturdays free so it’s going to be a midweek.

Edited by The Toun Clock

11 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Call to ALL Falkirk fans who are buzzing about the Cup 1/4 final.

If you want to see your team get this sort of game on a regular basis, if you possibly can, get your hand in your pocket and join FSS. We can be a club for the fans run by the fans and the good times can be regular. You know it makes sense. COYB

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I thought Darvel’s manager’s arrogance or naivety cost them. “Oh we play open attacking football no matter who we play” played into our hands. Where have we struggled this season? When teams have sat in, given us the ball and said come and break us down. Darvel pushed on, left loads of space down the flanks and in behind and it was always going to cost them as our pace just killed them. 

They had their time in the spotlight and well done Darvel in their cup run a remarkable achievement. Their manager milked it and hoped for a complacent Falkirk turning up. 

Unlike Aberdeen Falkirk came out the traps and the rest is history.

Just glad the games over.

I can't remember the last time I watched a full re-run straight after coming home from a match.

Well done to the whole team and coaching staff for doing a professional job, if there had been any passengers we would have been another scalp for them and it was easy to see how they had got to this position.

It was great to see us playing as a unit for a whole match and I wouldn't be too hard on the keeper for their goal, that was a tough one and he had a great game.

That speech though, GTF!

Edited by Sarcastic Bairn