The Falkirk FC Thread

51 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Long way to go, they won’t win every game between now & May plus we’ll beat them twice too imho. 

But Monday is up first & we need to take care of that lot first. 

15 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

We can only beat what is put in front of us,we will not win every game but neither will Scumfermline.Let's see what happens.

Love the optimism of posters but that lot have just won having been 3 down (and out) then awarded their 5th pen of the season and playing 10 men who capitulated.

We can only dream of benefitting from those types of decisions and scenarios happening to us between now and the end of the season. 

Agree with McGlynn that performance needs to start dictating results, starting at Darvel.

We've not got the same mentality as Fifers as Tuesday showed that we're more likely to crack than they are sadly.

Edited by Blame Me

Tuesday’s draw at Alloa would have been a major boost for them, and being 3-0 down to Airdrie yet still finding a way to win the game is absolutely the hallmark of a team likely to win the league.

McGlynn has improved us a lot, but there was far too much that needed improving for it all just to fall into place within a single season. McGlynn is a decent manager, but he isn’t a miracle worker. He was awarded the L1 title in the Covid shortened season, and won the old L2 title at the 3rd attempt. To actually win L1 over a full season is much new territory for him as it is for us.

All we can do is hope for the best either by winning the title (unlikely), or by getting up via the play offs (a bit more likely). I haven’t paid much attention to the tail end of the Championship, but it’s maybe worthy of a bit more attention now.

6 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

some superb straw clutching on this thread this evening

That’s actually fair comment. Since Hartleyball, we have become pretty good at seeking out straws. We use the word “if” a bit too much, but hey, let’s just see how the rest of the season rolls out.

30 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

This week has been a bit of a boot in the plums but it’s all about promotion and if we achieve that through the playoffs then job done.

Ultimately agree with this - if we have to go up through the play-offs, so be it, it would be mission accomplished. Obviously a much more risky and difficult route though, and for all the improvements we’ve made, any season Falkirk spend in League One without gaining promotion can’t go down as anything else other than a failure.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

2 hours ago, Blame Me said:

that lot have just won having been 3 down (and out) then awarded their 5th pen of the season and playing 10 men who capitulated.

We can only dream of benefitting from those types of decisions and scenarios happening to us between now and the end of the season. 

What a lot of tear stained pish. 

6 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

some superb straw clutching on this thread this evening

I know you WANT that to be true but I'm not really seeing it. 

Much more in the way of pragmatism than straw clutching tbh. 

It's not over, and we still need to be on it, but yesterday was the turn into massively nlukely territory and so it looks very much like the playoffs for us, is pretty much the prevailing opinion no?

We will almost certainly be in the playoffs. Any hopes of league titles were unfortunately scuppered in the first half of the season with some horrific results against Airdrie and Kelty. Games against Dunfermline will always be 50/50 or thereabouts, but those games mentioned are really what killed us. 

That being said, there is plenty to be optimistic about. We’ve lost 4 games all season, are unbeaten since November, are unbeaten away from home since September and are scoring more goals than almost every other team in the league. Squad strength has undoubtedly increased over the January period. Assuming we don’t massively cock-up the next few weeks, I think we’re going to be in really strong position if we can indeed get to the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

Not saying DAFC will collapse like we did although we hope they do but remember we were 9pts clear at the end of March a couple of years back. Anything can happen, loads of football to be played. 

Remember though we lost nearly 40% of our games that season. Dunfermline’s current team just don’t lose games and don’t know when they are beaten. They appear to be strong mentally and although as you say it’s still possible I think it’s unlikely they’ll let a 7 point lead slip. I’m not being negative btw as we are a vastly improved team I’m just giving my own opinion.

Whats really positive is that we are in a really strong position for the playoffs and if we don’t go up this season I’d expect us to continue to improve for next season under McGlynn and Smith.

10 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Scumfermline

Poor show that.

Look yesterday was a freak.  "Never knowing when you're beaten" is one thing but yesterday was an exceptional set of circumstances that will probably never be repeated. I had no confidence at 3-0 that we would get anything from the game.

7 points is definitely not unassailable however there is now immense pressure on you guys to win every single game. We do have a bit of breathing space that allows us to relax slightly. 

There's definitely points to be dropped by both sides.