The Falkirk FC Thread

41 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I've seen people claim that our number of members is embarrassing and I really don't get it at all. Over 600 people when it's just starting up is incredible, especially considering where we currently are. I'm signing up after work :)

I agree our initial numbers are impressive and to be applauded but I can also acknowledge that long to medium term the numbers also need to grow significantly for fan ownership to work properly. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Get Kai stuffed into a locker somewhere until midnight please John. 

Would that still stop him being able to go to America?

Their season hasn't started yet but personally think he'd be gone by now if he was going, he will be enjoying probably his best spell in the game to date at the moment

I see Conor McGrandles went on loan to Cambridge utd, the rumours may have had a hint of truth....till the cost of having him.  

Edited by MrDust

@LatapyBairn. is correct that we need to push FSS during season ticket renewal this summer, especially if we go up as there will be a feelgood factor that will benefit numbers. 

We also need to be more creative with FSS marketing, there should be perks/benefits that don't cost much to deliver e.g the right to vote on shirt designs and the likes and maybe discount perks triggered by length of FSS membership at club shop etc.  Get John McGlynn to face up the recruitment campaign and stories in the Herald etc. 

The best ownership model for me is a hybrid of fan ownership and deep pocketed investor though essential any investors have the clubs interests at heart.  Easier said than done to find that.  

4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Would that still stop him being able to go to America?

Depends on the wording of the recall clause in the loan deal we have with Rangers. 

No-one has ever recalled a player on loan to us outwith a transfer window, so my guess is that if we get past midnight then he's ours for the season. 

Possibly a question for Lewis to ask in his post-match interview after Kelty. 

It's Dundee that worry me. 

If he goes to America, hes making a choice to go and start a life there, possibly with an eye on staying there after football. Can neither conpete nor grudge that. Just dont want to see Dundee come in and whip him away. 

8 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

@LatapyBairn. is correct that we need to push FSS during season ticket renewal this summer, especially if we go up as there will be a feelgood factor that will benefit numbers. 

We also need to be more creative with FSS marketing, there should be perks/benefits that don't cost much to deliver e.g the right to vote on shirt designs and the likes and maybe discount perks triggered by length of FSS membership at club shop etc.  Get John McGlynn to face up the recruitment campaign and stories in the Herald etc. 

The best ownership model for me is a hybrid of fan ownership and deep pocketed investor though essential any investors have the clubs interests at heart.  Easier said than done to find that.  

Telling the story is definitely key.

Most supporters should know what the aims of the FSS are by now and there will have been a few rounds of directors being nominated from the membership - Hearing about the achievements that have been made as a direct result of FSS involvement might persuade people to join.

Also, some vox pops from the FSS demographic about why it's good to get involved and get some "real" voices to articulate why joining is important. No doubt all these avenues have been discussed but throwing it out anyways.

29 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I've got to say they have a far better way of dealing with pre contracts down south than they do up here . The SFA should take note but of course teams like rangers and Celtic wouldn't be happy as it would prevent them preying on the smaller clubs.

It's more of a hard cash market down south, someone earlier posting Nesbit Hibs to Millwall deal being a loan with view to buy, I don't think that's ever happened with a Scotland to England transfer, it's always show us the money.

The money down there is the only difference I see regarding pre contracts. The players at the top end generally leave when the £s suit them or they manufacture it to happen. 

17 minutes ago, MrDust said:

It's more of a hard cash market down south, someone earlier posting Nesbit Hibs to Millwall deal being a loan with view to buy, I don't think that's ever happened with a Scotland to England transfer, it's always show us the money.

The money down there is the only difference I see regarding pre contracts. The players at the top end generally leave when the £s suit them  manufacture it to happen. 

In England you can't sign another player from an English club  on a pre contract till they enter the last month of their agreement which is after the season has finished. It's to stop players on pre contracts signing for clubs they could then play against. Absolute common sense and the same ruling should've brought in up here.

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

To find another Sandy Alexander with deep pockets will be nigh on impossible. Yes, we need to increase the FSS membership, but to get over 600 in its first year is pretty good going. To put in over £7k a month is not to be sneezed at, particularly given our current financial issues.  The idea of fan ownership is twofold i) to try and generate regular income, which is happening (more would be better) and ii) to give all fans a say in the running of the club. We currently achieve that with Patrons and FSS being the majority on the BoD.

The issue of historical debt is well documented and we have done well this season between Patrons, FSS, those willing to give loans and increased commercial activity...not to mention retention of season ticket numbers / fans attending, which is pretty amazing given the fact of how we have performed the last few seasons. 

Hopefully we can run at a more stable fiscal situation next season if we get promoted. 

However, one point I would like to make though, is that we have not yet addressed the situation of our overheads. That is what is crippling the club financially...... not the income we generate. We seriously need to look at where we can reduce costs. We need to see where we can work more efficiently with less staff. We need to have words with the councIl. We need to get SA to agree to donate the SS back to the club (I think he has now almost received in rent what the cost of building was). There needs to be more creative thinking in how we can achieve less outgoings than what we currently pay.

26 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

To find another Sandy Alexander with deep pockets will be nigh on impossible. Yes, we need to increase the FSS membership, but to get over 600 in its first year is pretty good going. To put in over £7k a month is not to be sneezed at, particularly given our current financial issues.  The idea of fan ownership is twofold i) to try and generate regular income, which is happening (more would be better) and ii) to give all fans a say in the running of the club. We currently achieve that with Patrons and FSS being the majority on the BoD.

The issue of historical debt is well documented and we have done well this season between Patrons, FSS, those willing to give loans and increased commercial activity...not to mention retention of season ticket numbers / fans attending, which is pretty amazing given the fact of how we have performed the last few seasons. 

Hopefully we can run at a more stable fiscal situation next season if we get promoted. 

However, one point I would like to make though, is that we have not yet addressed the situation of our overheads. That is what is crippling the club financially...... not the income we generate. We seriously need to look at where we can reduce costs. We need to see where we can work more efficiently with less staff. We need to have words with the councIl. We need to get SA to agree to donate the SS back to the club (I think he has now almost received in rent what the cost of building was). There needs to be more creative thinking in how we can achieve less outgoings than what we currently pay.

Do you seriously think that there are staff cuts to be made?

The club is hugely dependent on volunteers already.

24 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Falkirk Council have the club stitched up regarding the stadium and they know it. So there can be no savings from that direction.

Standard lease plus the running costs which they decide and that is where they make the money. Staff costs, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and services all with what will be a massive markup. Goodness knows what the increase will be with 11.3% inflation.

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Do you seriously think that there are staff cuts to be made?

The club is hugely dependent on volunteers already.

Possibly.

To have a CEO on around (rumoured) £50k for a club our size and turnover is perhaps a wee bit excessive.

I think we depend on many volunteers but I'm not convinced that the full time admin staff  we have are possibly as efficient as they could be. We have 2 in retail and ticketing. Our ticketing system is now pretty much automated and we have passed a bit of our shop sales over to Greaves (another potential loss of cash given over to someone else that I wouldnt have, if I'm being honest). I'm not sure what else they do during the week. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

According to the website we also have 5 in operation, plus 2 in Commercial (who we really need !!! )

It's only one facet of where we should maybe look at cost savings !

7 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Possibly.

To have a CEO on around (rumoured) £50k for a club our size and turnover is perhaps a wee bit excessive.

I think we depend on many volunteers but I'm not convinced that the full time admin staff  we have are possibly as efficient as they could be. We have 2 in retail and ticketing. Our ticketing system is now pretty much automated and we have passed a bit of our shop sales over to Greaves (another potential loss of cash given over to someone else that I wouldnt have, if I'm being honest). I'm not sure what else they do during the week. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

According to the website we also have 5 in operation, plus 2 in Commercial (who we really need !!! )

It's only one facet of where we should maybe look at cost savings !

Why don’t you drop the CEO an email with your thoughts and ask him what the employees actually do.

8 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Why don’t you drop the CEO an email with your thoughts and ask him what the employees actually do.

I might just actually do that next time I personally see him.

Do you have any other questions that you would like asked when I'm at it .....or are you absolutely happy with the way the club currently operates ? 

4 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

The club made an operating loss of 1.2 million in the previous year! I actually think getting that down to 400k in the space of 6 months while still being able to fund a decent side on the park is quite good going. Hopefully that improvement continues and they have ideas and strategy to continue to grow our income, simply cutting the playing budget is to simplistic and will actually only make the problem worse, if there is a lack of product on the park it drives turnover down, discourages sponsorship, hospitality and crowd numbers inevitably drop. We need to be creative and find a way to close the funding gap that isn’t simply cut cut cut. If we are not competitive on the park the whole business model collapses. 

Sense is not a thing people are used to but panic is