The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Context. 

Yes, enter and hope to do well but I would still put the league ahead of the cup.

What would you rather have, us getting promoted this season OR beating Darvel in the next round of the cup?

I think beating Darvel is irrelevant to how we will do in the league. No reason to choose one over the other. There is absolutely no correlation between them.

Somebody mentioned a 60k difference (excluding any TV money) between beating and losing to Darvel. 

That equates 240 season ticket sales or the equivalent of about 416 extra FSS memebers for a year donating £12 a month. 

Breaking it down like that into numbers we can all associate with surely we can see the importance of winning the game now that we are in a position to do so.

16 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

What would you rather have, us getting promoted this season OR beating Darvel in the next round of the cup?

Why does it have to be one or the other? I'd view both as perfectly realistic objectives. 

If they aren't, just shut the doors and forget the whole enterprise.

You'd genuinely think we were facing a trip to the Etihad or Bernabeu the way some are going on.

I fully expect us to both beat Darvel and get out out of this utter shit tip of a league at the fourth time of asking.

Anything less is failure.

10 hours ago, Rennieball said:

Listening to Goodwin's interview, doesn't appear to have done his homework at all. Didn't know what division Darvel were in, called them a junior side, couldn't name their centre backs etc. Surely, if anything, McGlynn won't be that stupid. Most of these clubs will be still seen as junior clubs for a while yet I'd think. In fact quite a number in that league still have juniors in their name.

25 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The bookies will certainly have us as favourites but I think the football community itself will heavily fancy darvel to turn us over.

No they won’t 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Darvel in the cup - you heard it here first.

Have never laughed so hard for ages at Darvel knocking out Aberdeen,

Could not have happened to a more deserving bunch of whinging cheats.

Did I ever tell you about a game at Brockville against them?

Tell us about that game, please. Are you thinking of the League Cup win in 1971?

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

No, that's ok Uncle Albert. You told us about it once...

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Was that in 1957 in the lead up to winning the cup?

15 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

Latest episode of the podcast has dropped this evening already. We discuss;

🔵 Scottish Cup draw 
⚪️ Win over Alloa 
🔵 Preview FC Edinburgh &
⚪️ All the rumours including Kai Kennedy heading to the USA 👀 & George Oakley signing ✍🏻

🔵 PLUS the Winner of the VIP tickets for “The Night with Russell Latapy” is announced. 

15FC7E0A-2A9A-4B0A-AC8D-72B6149E027B.thumb.jpeg.be9374320c5f1681f7be9c84105e0919.jpeg

Who was playing operation in the background?

Time marches on.  I appreciate that its hard to get players in during January and that kneejerk signings are not needed.  However, from  what I can see we currently have a squad of 21.  From that:

Three are currently injured (Williamson, Watson and Lawal)

One is considered too young and raw to play (Carroll)

One is not wanted (Malcolm)

One is in danger of being recalled  from  his loan (Kennedy)

With the Cup and rescheduled matches coming up, the squad is very, very thin.  I want the correct signing but we are running into danger of defeating ourselves before we even get on the pitch.   Suspensions and injuries are going to have a major impact

15 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Given the figures on daft next round of the cup we get 40k for going out but if we get through to the quarters and go out then its 100k that adds a good bit to the finances, cup run is a wee bonus but i would rather we got out this sh*tty league.

I've stated in a previous post that I think that our priority should be getting promoted but let's see if our game against Darvel can actually work in our favour re: success in the league campaign. We are guaranteed 40k if we lose to Darvel (one new player coming in?) but we get 100k (3 new players coming in?) if we beat them and get through to the quarter finals. So, do we stick or twist? Do we work on the basis that we won't progress in the cup and sign one decent new player? Or, do we take a gamble and assume that we are going to beat Darvel and spend the 100k that we haven't got yet?