The Falkirk FC Thread

Looking at those excellent pictures of the Aberdeen games there and all I could think of was "I miss grass!".

Just checked my stats for games I've watched against Aberdeen, probably one of the lowest teams I've seen us play against as I've only been once to Pittodrie but its a slightly better record than I thought, starting since the early 1990's I've seen us play them only 10 times - 1 away match, 9 home (which includes Ochilview) P10 W2 D2 L6 F8 A18.

I've been a defender of Mcglynn playing Oliver recently, however I feel he is most effective against teams playing very deep e.g. Peterhead and Clyde. Alloa were non stop pressing, especially throughout the first half and it looked like Gary was struggling. Burrell for me from now on unless someone better comes in.

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Looking at those excellent pictures of the Aberdeen games there and all I could think of was "I miss grass!".

Just checked my stats for games I've watched against Aberdeen, probably one of the lowest teams I've seen us play against as I've only been once to Pittodrie but its a slightly better record than I thought, starting since the early 1990's I've seen us play them only 10 times - 1 away match, 9 home (which includes Ochilview) P10 W2 D2 L6 F8 A18.

You miss it then you watch the highlights of the Scottish cup at the weekend. Most pitches looked like ploughed parks and that was whether it was Hibs or Arbroath. Maybe astro ain't that bad after all.

6 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Absolutely correct. Apparently, they were denied promotion twice before because of their stadium by the SPL (Solar Premier League) but managed to get promoted at the 3rd attempt while their stadium is being redeveloped. Everybody at the club went to the Mars Bar to have a drink to celebrate.

Bet they were over the moon😂

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

You miss it then you watch the highlights of the Scottish cup at the weekend. Most pitches looked like ploughed parks and that was whether it was Hibs or Arbroath. Maybe astro ain't that bad after all.

Yep. I spent yesterday with the womens team in Yoker who were playing on the only grass pitch in our league. The girls absolutely hated it. They were struggling to keep their feet and a few of them said afterwards that if they had to play on that every week they would give up the game. 

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Yep. I spent yesterday with the womens team in Yoker who were playing on the only grass pitch in our league. The girls absolutely hated it. They were struggling to keep their feet and a few of them said afterwards that if they had to play on that every week they would give up the game. 

I played on a grass pitch in Glasgow yesterday. One of only 2 in my league and it was absolutely fantastic. Compared to the stadium pitch it was an absolute pleasure getting stuck into a tackle and getting up with only mud on you and not the usual 3rd degree burns. 

3 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I played on a grass pitch in Glasgow yesterday. One of only 2 in my league and it was absolutely fantastic. Compared to the stadium pitch it was an absolute pleasure getting stuck into a tackle and getting up with only mud on you and not the usual 3rd degree burns. 

This. There is a new generation that barely play on grass now and aren't used to it, hence why they probably don't like it as much as plastic. Pretty much everyone I know prefers to play and watch football on grass, but I'm in my early fifties.

44 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

This. There is a new generation that barely play on grass now and aren't used to it, hence why they probably don't like it as much as plastic. Pretty much everyone I know prefers to play and watch football on grass, but I'm in my early fifties.

I play with a bunch of guys mostly in theirs 20's and we have only played 2 games on grass in the last 2 years. This includes the summer months. It's ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

I play with a bunch of guys mostly in theirs 20's and we have only played 2 games on grass in the last 2 years. This includes the summer months. It's ridiculous. 

I started back at 6 a sides last summer on plastic. I had 2 pretty bad injuries in 2 games. It was like playing on concrete with a carpet. Had to give up pretty much immediately. Appreciate each has their views on this but I'd rather play and watch football on grass. If there is good enough drainage and light they can even cope well in winter. Jim Dawson was brilliant with our grass pitches. Just a shame there was issues with the undersoil heating etc