The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I'd argue FalkirkTV is in the top 10 of live coverage and highlight packages in Scotland - and absolutely the best outside the premiership - so long as you mute it.

It’s the Co commentator that agitates my nips.

Shouty person who adds nothing to the experience.

Who is he?

3 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Who is he?

Stuart Mccafferty. 

I think it's an excellent service, the commentary at times can get annoying but it would't be a simple task trying to remain unbiased whilst watching us play. 

Also easy to forget how much the FTV boys are giving up in order to put the streams on every week.

Am I correct in thinking that while we have to pay for the FTV service that the co-commentators work on a voluntary, unpaid basis? If that indeed is the case, maybe we should cut them a bit of slack? Or somebody else could always volunteer to do it?

Anyway, FTV is the only way that I can see us play for most of the season, unless I am back home for a couple of weeks holiday, so I am extremely grateful that the facility is there, no matter who the commentators are. Before that I was like @Long Suffering Bairn, relying on Sky Sports or the SPFL website for live text updates. As @Bairney The Dinosaur says, there is always the mute button.

23 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Who is he?

Maybe just don’t say anything at all if you haven’t got anything nice to say.

Needless comment.

Have to say criticising the two commentators for a couple of repetitive phrases or offering opinions on their team as we literally sit here and do every week when they are showing up to every game, no matter the distance, offering their media expertise and technical knowledge... For free... to make sure those who can't make it can see the game feels more than harsh. They are fans the same as we are and want to talk about potential changes/improvements the same way everyone on here does (and most fans do). Can only say to them: thanks for the service. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Have to say criticising the two commentators for a couple of repetitive phrases or offering opinions on their team as we literally sit here and do every week when they are showing up to every game, no matter the distance, offering their media expertise and technical knowledge... For free... to make sure those who can't make it can see the game feels more than harsh. They are fans the same as we are and want to talk about potential changes/improvements the same way everyone on here does (and most fans do). Can only say to them: thanks for the service. 

Easy to sit having a pop behind an anonymous username though. These guys, as a result of what they do, are putting themselves out there too which shouldn’t be under-estimated.

27 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Yes. The two part-time media two staff take the kit to and from the games and usually edit the highlights. One of them operates the camera and the other does media stuff like tweeting during the game and putting out the team lineups. 

Stuart and Lewis do the commenting and most of the technical stuff involved involved in setting the thing up. FFCTV wouldn't be where it is today without the two of them and the humongous amount of hours that they've put in every week for years. 

I agree and it is a thankless task for them at times. 
I think it is fair to say at times they are a touch negative but after years of us being shit it is difficult not to be. I actually want them to be bias in our favour TBH, it is our clubs product. 
Personally I would like an ex-player on Co - comms from time to time to freshen it up. They bring an experienced eye to the game. 
However it is a service I find invaluable due to location and it is always there so it is by and large a good service and they put in a great effort to get it on even in difficult circumstances. I even sponsored it for a couple of years and provided clothing the guys still wear in crap weather. 

I also wonder why we don’t have a full game replay somewhere - even if it was just for subscribers? Maybe the guys could explain why? 

On a more humorous point when I watch I stream it to my TV. The dog gets up and leaves the room every time he hears Lewis’s voice 🤣.  

9 hours ago, Big chungus said:

I do agree with the point about Burrell being very effective coming off the bench. Whereas, Gary Oliver most likely, wouldn’t be. However, I make that 9 goals in all competitions for Burrell this season. Our second highest goal scorer just behind CM7. Considering he’s played about 10 games less that’s pretty good going. Therefore, imo it would be daft leaving him on the bench. All being said and stating the bleedin obvious we do need to sign another striker.

Burrell has scored 5 from the bench this season and has started one more game than sub appearances.

Perhaps the manager has got it right after all Burrell hasn't played much first team football in his career so far

He is a talent but I don't think him starting yesterday would've made any difference, it may have cost us not having him to come on.

I understand some of the frustrations with the commentary however the overall output by Falkirk TV is way better than pretty much everyone outwith the the Premiership. Most of the other teams charge for a motion sensor camera with no camera, it’s like watching CCTV of a game!

20 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I even sponsored it for a couple of years and provided clothing the guys still wear in crap weather. 

I also wonder why we don’t have a full game replay somewhere - even if it was just for subscribers? Maybe the guys could explain why?  

Yeah, I've got photos from this season which show that your FFCTV branded jackets, polos and t-shirts are still being worn years after you supplied them. 

Not sure about the replays; I'm sure it's do-able but whether people would want to sit through 90 minutes rather than just the highlights is maybe debateable. 

Just now, Bainsfordbairn said:

Yeah, I've got photos from this season which show that your FFCTV branded jackets, polos and t-shirts are still being worn years after you supplied them. 

Not sure about the replays; I'm sure it's do-able but whether people would want to sit through 90 minutes rather than just the highlights is maybe debateable. 

I guess it would be good for anyone who missed the game and didn’t watch the stream. 

Guest Brockvillenomore
3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You’re last sentence answers your question perfectly.

The beauty of being a football fan is that you think you’re an expert.

Thats what it’s all about!

Yes and no. I separated the two comparisons on purpose. I do feel that anybody representing the club should be held to a different standard than the punters. 

@Bainsfordbairn gets it spot on in his posts. Factual, supportive of the club and his colleagues , praises positive aspects but is silent and non judgemental when things aren’t going so well.

I’m not devaluing the Falkirk TV lads who give up their free time and work their socks off, it’s a thankless task and it’s easy to criticise.  I defo wouldn’t have said anything but felt the time was right when somebody else did. 

My point is, I rely on Falkirk TV a lot and in the last year or so, the tone has changed and at times, the commentary can be judgemental and critical without giving a balanced view. 

31 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I agree and it is a thankless task for them at times. 
I think it is fair to say at times they are a touch negative but after years of us being shit it is difficult not to be. I actually want them to be bias in our favour TBH, it is our clubs product. 
Personally I would like an ex-player on Co - comms from time to time to freshen it up. They bring an experienced eye to the game. 
However it is a service I find invaluable due to location and it is always there so it is by and large a good service and they put in a great effort to get it on even in difficult circumstances. I even sponsored it for a couple of years and provided clothing the guys still wear in crap weather. 

On a more humorous point when I watch I stream it to my TV. The dog gets up and leaves the room every time he hears Lewis’s voice 🤣.  

I've always found Lewis is the opposite of negative, clinging on to how many chances we have had, penalties/goals we should have had and generally over estimating how we should be winning 16-0. I feel if we got beat 5-1 Lewis would still mention we had 5 chances today to win the game.

The above is not a criticism it's how he is about Falkirk, we all have our traits regarding our club but we ain't volunteering to travel and set up equipment all over the country in all weathers that our country brings. They have never looked out the window and said nah I won't bother today it's too wet. 

I can't thank them enough due to my location, yep mistakes happen with human error but I'd prefer that than the camera that followed the ball/bald heid. I'd have struggled to watch that week in week out and can't believe clubs are still using it.

Full game replay might be down to a storage issue cost. I don't think you'd get much interest in watching yesterday's 90 again and only the big games and high scoring games would get the traffic.

Guest Ecosse83

Listen to the live streams of other clubs the commentary is worse than ours, it’s almost as if some folk need something to constantly moan about 😂

I suppose that’s what happens when we are winning games of football!