The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I realise funding is an important issue.   I have no money so can't contribute to the club.  I can't even afford to go to games anymore and that is not likely to change.  My priorities at the moment is keeping warm and buying food.   I am reduced to "watching" our games on BBC live text.  I fully accept this is no-one's fault other than mine, but I find it depressing seeing people talk about large sums of money while I am sitting here with no heating until 6pm.

I do hope we sign someone today, take my find of it for a little while.

On the topic of signings, I heard that Hearts are happy for Henderson to sign for Falkirk on loan, as well as a handful of other clubs, some in the Championship. I suspect the player is holding out to see what happens in regards to other clubs coming in for him.

8 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

If you listen to McGlynns post match interview on Saturday from about the five minute mark, he goes into detail with the issues they're having. Reading between the lines of what he said, I got the impression that signings are more likely to happen towards the end of the window rather than the middle. 

Not that it stops folk tweeting the club every day asking for signings, as if that will make a difference. 🙈

@Bainsfordbairn show us the pen.

29 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

Noone other than members of the Patrons group have been willing to stand for the Fan Director positions.

In my personal view n the long term I would like someone with a different background to stand ( this is absolutely not a criticism of the current fan directors who are working hard behind the scenes) but despite actively asking such people none was willing to stand for the positions. 

You can’t change things if no one is willing to take on the work. And our current directors are doing well. 

I thought the most recent director was not a patron? Or is he? 

32 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I realise funding is an important issue.   I have no money so can't contribute to the club.  I can't even afford to go to games anymore and that is not likely to change.  My priorities at the moment is keeping warm and buying food.   I am reduced to "watching" our games on BBC live text.  I fully accept this is no-one's fault other than mine, but I find it depressing seeing people talk about large sums of money while I am sitting here with no heating until 6pm.

I do hope we sign someone today, take my find of it for a little while.  Just ignore me, I guess I am feeling sorry for myself today.

Really sorry to hear, I know there might be more important things to think about but I am sure the club have a fund to help people getting tickets for games if it's not something they can afford. I donated to this fund when I bought my season ticket so I know it exists and think it's still in action. If it's something you look forward to and would like to attend maybe worth sending an email? 

Edited by Jimmy1876
Clarification

14 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Or perhaps some sort of study to better understand where our overheads sit amongst those of our competitors. We have been unable to best several L1 clubs these past few years all of whom operate on half or less of our turnover.

Now the Launderers might not be the perfect example, but other than that which goes unspoken, how is it a club with a core support of 800 (on a good day) outperform us with monotonous regularity. Like us, they occupy an ostensibly council owned facility, but pay rent on a sliding scale depending on what league they are in (in the top flight, it’s peppercorn, in the lower leagues, it’s half of sod all). All this in exchange for providing the good people on their council with a nice hospitality box.

They have a Trust that puts in less than £2k per season…..they have nothing like FSS.

We seem to be stuck with massive overheads. Doubtless there are reasons why.

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

The big reason livi are ahead of us isn't just finance though it's recruitment it's as simple as that. Whoever handles it is lightyears ahead of what we've been like over the past 4 or 5 years. They sign good players and sell a number on for very decent sums of money which can then be reinvested.  Lyndon dykes for instance they got a fortune in for him and will no doubt get a wad of cash for nouble.  If our recruitment had been half as good we wouldn't be struggling in league one.

Re the financial part of things, one key aspect of the club which has changed is our level of sponsorship. Time was our name was mud, and rightly so, among the local and wider business community due to spectacular financial mismanagement. We now have a dedicated Business/Commercial manager who has helped ensure that we have lots of really good sponsorship deals.

Re the recruitment side, the manager has a good record of finding gems but almost as importantly, he isn't slow in getting rid of dead wood/disruptive influences. If a player says they want to leave (i.e Shaun Byrne), steps out of line (i.e Scott Robinson) or a mixture of the two (Anthony Stokes), then no matter how they are performing or their standing in the dressing room he will get rid pronto.

47 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Family and personal finances are the main contributors to the take-up

Rightly so these are a priority in particular with people coming off the Electricity and Gas fixed deals and finding that outlay doubling and more throw into that job insecurity with the loss of employment protections caution is understandable. 

The take-up so far should not be looked on as disappointing

Of course it is disappointing. Tops 15% of the support is rubbish 

59 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Hoping to start a bit of a distraction from all the chat going on here.

I'm personally quite worried about the next month or so as I can't see us beating Alloa 3 times in such a small amount of time. Especially considering it's a Brian Rice side. Really need another striker in for a better chance at winning all 3 I think. Obviously very hypothetical, but if offered, would people be happy with losing in the cup but taking 6 points from them in the league?

No. 

Get a win in the cup and a Premiership side in the next round can easily be the difference between signing a good striker and not. 

Also we dispatched Alloa comfortably back in October. They were poor. 

57 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Hoping to start a bit of a distraction from all the chat going on here.

I'm personally quite worried about the next month or so as I can't see us beating Alloa 3 times in such a small amount of time. Especially considering it's a Brian Rice side. Really need another striker in for a better chance at winning all 3 I think. Obviously very hypothetical, but if offered, would people be happy with losing in the cup but taking 6 points from them in the league?

Catch 22 with the cup game, win and get one of the ugly sisters next away and perhaps the purse strings might be loosened. 

We could also win two league games v Alloa and still not win the league.

We need a few additions to the team for sure to be successful in the play offs, if that is the route we have to take.

Sadly it's Dunfermline's league to lose as it stands 

55 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I have nothing in the diary other than an under 17 friendly tomorrow night, Alloa on Saturday and a trip to Clydebank with the womens team on Sunday. Sorry. 

ahhh

That must mean the 3 new signings are getting paraded at Alloa prior to the game. Thanks BB

36 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Catch 22 with the cup game, win and get one of the ugly sisters next away and perhaps the purse strings might be loosened. 

We could also win two league games v Alloa and still not win the league.

We need a few additions to the team for sure to be successful in the play offs, if that is the route we have to take.

Sadly it's Dunfermline's league to lose as it stands 

I make it 12 of our last 14 draws in the cup have been away from home - pretty incredible