The Falkirk FC Thread

51 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Can’t be the only one who noticed Rowe and McCann drift into the middle while in possession with Kennedy and Morrison pushing right out wide especially in the first half.

McCann more so than Rowe but aye... Very noticeable

A good overall team performance in atrocious conditions. Rowe has brought a balance to the right side we’ve been sadly missing. Oliver gets it big from me but the last two games he’s covered every blade of grass. Although the league is tight after the top spot, there’s a slight gap appearing in the runners for qualifiers, and with Alloa games coming thick and fast, if we can look after these we,ll be in a good place. A box to box midfielder and two CFs and we won’t be far-away. 

Think people are missing the point of Oliver in this side. He’s not there to be a goal scoring striker he’s there to link up the play and bring the wingers into the game which I think he does very well. Although he doesn’t have the sharp finishing you’d expect of a lone striker, we wouldn’t have had half as many chances as we do with him not there.

47 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Another 2 assists for Nesbitt. That's him had his one good game in ten, two weeks running.

I have to admit, I've not been the biggest fan of Nesbitt since he came, but he's definitely played his best football the past few games, having Henderson and McGinn in midfield had allowed him to get further forward and he's doing brilliantly. Oliver was okay again today, I wonder if we can find someone in the market that can link up like him while also putting chances away, I'd like to see Yeats come on for McGinn the last 20 minutes similar to how Burrell comes on. 

That’s twice in a little over three weeks that we’ve put teams to the sword in the last ten minutes or so of the game.

That’s a great habit to have gotten into. Last season, we were throwing the towel in after half an hour.

Electing to play without a recognised CF and coming out of it 4 goals to the good is a pretty impressive bit of game management (regardless of the opposition).

27 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Think people are missing the point of Oliver in this side. He’s not there to be a goal scoring striker he’s there to link up the play and bring the wingers into the game which I think he does very well. Although he doesn’t have the sharp finishing you’d expect of a lone striker, we wouldn’t have had half as many chances as we do with him not there.

He's playing up front for Falkirk against some truly terrible opposition in the third tier of Scottish football. He should therefore be absolutely capable of scoring goals, and the fact that he isn't is the reason fans simply don't rate him. I cannot understand this "either or" type argument that his cheerleaders are putting forward. He should be able to do both. Juan Alegria, in the first home game against QOS in August, was on the park for about 55 minutes, during which he scored one, created another and never gave their centre halves a single moment of respite. He was superb that day, that was the standard, and whilst by no means consistent, he could offer a bit of everything, physicality, ability to hold up the ball and genuine threat to the opposition. Oliver lacks the latter and is no where near the same level. Not even close. Whilst you'll get away with that against a rancid Clyde team, you won't against any sort of semi-competent opposition. Alegria to Oliver is such a downgrade.

Oliver had a decent enough game today, but we've now got a far tougher run of fixtures on the horizon and far better is needed. Hopefully that is addressed this week with the addition of a proper centre forward, preferably one who is now miles down the pecking order at Tynecastle.