The Falkirk FC Thread

Really pleased for Aidan Nesbit yesterday.

Has taken some (unjustified IMHO) stick over the last few weeks and months. Always shows for the ball, not only has he the most assists in the whole league I'd argue it would have been double that if over this season some of the sitters he has laid on for teammates had been put away. Also scored the winner v Hibs in the cup and 2 very important goals yesterday when we were struggling for strikers against a team we hadn't beaten in 7 games. Really important win and a monkey off our back. It's possible also that yesterday he was playing in a more advanced role which suits him better rather than gathering the ball 25 yards from our goal all the time.

On a larger note, McGlynn working some magic letting players go this window, if we can get 2 or 3 decent players in then its game on for the rest of the season. The football being played now compared to previous seasons is night and day.

14 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Really pleased for Aidan Nesbit yesterday.

Has taken some (unjustified IMHO) stick over the last few weeks and months. Always shows for the ball, not only has he the most assists in the whole league I'd argue it would have been double that if over this season some of the sitters he has laid on for teammates had been put away. Also scored the winner v Hibs in the cup and 2 very important goals yesterday when we were struggling for strikers against a team we hadn't beaten in 7 games. Really important win and a monkey off our back. It's possible also that yesterday he was playing in a more advanced role which suits him better rather than gathering the ball 25 yards from our goal all the time.

On a larger note, McGlynn working some magic letting players go this window, if we can get 2 or 3 decent players in then its game on for the rest of the season. The football being played now compared to previous seasons is night and day.

Think any signings will be loans.

Once the certainty of what league we are going to be playing in next season is known. The club will be in a position to sign the best quality player at that level.

I know that this will sound naively simplistic but since we put Henderson into the midfield, somebody who has a bit of a physical presence, we have played better. He can impose himself while releasing the likes of Nesbitt and Kennedy to be a bit more creative. So many teams in league 1 are full of giants, just look at Montrose yesterday, so I hope that any new signings, whether loanees or permanent signings, also carry a bit of a physical presence. It doesn't look as if Alegria is coming back anytime soon so a big, bustling CF to replace him would be nice. A good big un is always better than a good little un.

1 hour ago, Just a bairn said:

I wasn’t sure about Kennedy but he has started to play very well. A real positive from the last few weeks. He has much more to his game than than Morrison IMO. 

I do have concerns over the CB position. Mackie is a strange player. Sometimes he has a relatively sound game with nothing overly concerning (like QOTS), then there are games like yesterday where he hoofs random passes to nobody, gives away daft fouls and panics the whole back line. I don’t think he is the answer unfortunately. I think McKay overall is more solid than him but that’s not saying much. 

I’d like to see what level Watson is at when he returns from injury, although to be honest I reckon he’ll go out on loan and we won’t see him play again for us. 

A fit Watson alongside Donaldson would be our strongest CB pairing.

I like Mackie at centre back beside Donaldson, my only dislike is the fact he goes ball daft every now and then which leads to him being well out of position or commiting a needless foul. 

I actually thought he was lucky with just a yellow yesterday as his tackle seemed quite high.

Guest Ecosse83
13 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I know that this will sound naively simplistic but since we put Henderson into the midfield, somebody who has a bit of a physical presence, we have played better. He can impose himself while releasing the likes of Nesbitt and Kennedy to be a bit more creative. So many teams in league 1 are full of giants, just look at Montrose yesterday, so I hope that any new signings, whether loanees or permanent signings, also carry a bit of a physical presence. It doesn't look as if Alegria is coming back anytime soon so a big, bustling CF to replace him would be nice. A good big un is always better than a good little un.

Sometimes it the simple things in life that make the difference

Should be having a look at Matty Yates for next season, 20 year old striker at Stenny who's an absolute nuisance. 

9 goals and 5 assists last season for Stranraer.

Currently on 6 goals and 8 assists in 19 games for a poor performing Stenny.

53 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

A fit Watson alongside Donaldson would be our strongest CB pairing.

Emmmm not sure about that. Watson left and no one batted an eyelid plus he is right sided 

Guest FFC1965

Ive looked at the ghost goal about 20 times.  It appears to me that the ball bounces up and makes contact with the net (so by definition over the line) and then bounces out.

Id wondered initially if the movement of the net was by Rowe falling into it but you can freeze the video and see the ball bulging the net above the height of the bar. 

Ive never seen anything like this since the universal removal of stanchions (which the old fart in me misses, gave each ground a bit character - I particularly liked Hampdens which went back so far it was a different postcode)

Anyhow, I came away yesterday liking the fact that we seem to have a lot more steel about us - Montrose wanted to fight rather than play football and we coped with it.  Last season we'd have dropped points.  Two good recruits and we can give DAFC a run for their money.   

2 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

A guy who played most weeks in the league above for the champions isn’t good enough for us 🤣behave. Maybe he won’t be the same after the injury but he will be our best CB after Donaldson, that there is no question. 

He is 32 and just coming back from an ACL injury. Time will tell.

14 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's not in. You can see it move in front of the bar, and players crashing into the net simultaneously cause it to move.

Note our players just get on with the game apart from one I think.

I thought at the time it was a goal however after multiple replays at various speeds and I totally agree with you.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I thought at the time however after multiple replays at various speeds and I totally agree with you.

Yeah, it’s a near X Files moment, but at no point do I see the ball behind the crossbar, so I am pretty sure the ball never crossed the line.

Thankfully, it wasn’t a deciding moment in the game.