The Falkirk FC Thread

There is certainly a danger in just looking at statistics. Just looking at the assists table for example, you’d see Nesbitt with the most assists in the league and assume he’s been much better than Morrison this season.

I think most people who have seen the two play would tell you that Morrison actually contributes significantly more in most games than Nesbitt.

14 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

You'd have to be mad to want to move on Morrison. Pace, unpredictability, decent number of goals, all like hen's teeth down here. 9 other teams would piss themselves at us if we took a few grand for him at this stage.

I wouldn't want to lose him. As I said, when he performs the team tends to do well. His inconsistency is a bugger right enough.

I suppose it depends on how much a 'few grand' would actually be? As things stand with our financial situation I'm sure that anything approaching £100k would probably get him. 

10 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I wouldn't want to lose him. As I said, when he performs the team tends to do well. His inconsistency is a bugger right enough.

I suppose it depends on how much a 'few grand' would actually be? As things stand with our financial situation I'm sure that anything approaching £100k would probably get him. 

I thought the black hole had been covered? Surely if things were bad we wouldn't be bringing in a boy from Coventry we'd simply be seeing players go and noone coming in. I also  can't see mcglynn being overly happy if Morrison is sold and it still  gives him no more budget to play with. The bod would surely see that as a pretty suicidal move if we want to go up.

Talk about getting rid of Morrison at this stage is crazy stuff. We need to go up this year, selling your top scorer for peanuts? Come on. 
What we need is to get someone to play along side him and go two up top and give the guy a bit of support. 
End of season if failure to achieve promotion then fair enough.  There’s a lot more need to go before Callumn Morrison I’m afraid!

Edited by bejazz1

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

We can argue and debate stats all day long, Morrison consistently blows hot and cold, more cold for me, and like many of the players over the past few seasons have kept us in league one. If there’s any possibility we can bring better in, sorry  I wouldn’t be hung up with Morrison leaving. 

if you mean kept us in league one by picking up that injury (2 seasons ago?) and then our season going straight to shite after it you are correct. we are a different team without Morrison. not a very good one.

38 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I thought the black hole had been covered? Surely if things were bad we wouldn't be bringing in a boy from Coventry we'd simply be seeing players go and noone coming in. I also  can't see mcglynn being overly happy if Morrison is sold and it still  gives him no more budget to play with. The bod would surely see that as a pretty suicidal move if we want to go up.

Aye, but I assume they'll be thinking of next season's shortfall already. I'm not saying he wouldn't be allowed to replace Morrison but I do think they'd have one eye on next year and the probability of having no other transfer receipts to help. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm not arguing otherwise.

You asked what my idea of a creative player is and I gave you examples of that type of player (IMO). Morrison doesn't fit my idea of a 'creative' player. Doesn't mean he hasn't got more assists. Nowadays, if Michael Higdon's big arse had laid the ball on a plate for someone else to score rather than going in, it would be classed as an assist. I don't think of Michael Higdon being a creative player. 

There's not necessarily a direct connection between being 'creative' and assisting in a goal.

Not always but it is at least some evidence. The most of which is just from Morrison playing, he creates chances for himself and others by drawing opponents to him and opening up space to create a shot for himself or play in someone else.

Whether it’s creative or not is up for debate but he is definitely effective. 

4 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

I think as soon as Morrison left the usual suspects on here who would be happy to let him leave would start moaning after a few games. They would then proceed to rip into the board for letting him leave 😂

Yes he his inconsistent at times but letting him leave at this stage of the season would be lunacy! 

Now you’re just making things up…..😀

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

We are a better team with Morrison in it of that I have no doubt.

It’s all very well saying that we could use the funds to bring in a replacement however there is no guarantee the replacement will hit the ground running if at all.

My preference would be to keep him.

You have to keep him unless you are getting money and a replacement who is just as good. 

If McGlynn moves him on, il trust that there is a squad strength related motivation to do so. There's absolutely simple footballing reason to do it that anyone can convince me of unless it's part of a larger plan that necessitates the sale of one of very few playing assets we have. 

Morrison MIGHT be unique as being a player who, shipping that one out opens up for 2 in. It has to be something along those lines if we are entertaining it. 

………and I doubt very much if Dundee or anyone else would be offering £100k or anything close to it.

This would be your typical £30k offer. It’s no secret that we are skint, and any offer will be based on that fact.

10 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

………and I doubt very much if Dundee or anyone else would be offering £100k or anything close to it.

This would be your typical £30k offer. It’s no secret that we are skint, and any offer will be based on that fact.

Indeed. Agreed on all counts. Has anyone at Tier 3 level ever gone for a sum of £100k? 

Morrison has his faults (a frustrating inconsistency to beat his man 1 on 1, or get his cross beyond the first defender, his once-a-month good game) but no doubt he can make an impact at this level, does draw defenders out, and tbf does seem to have reined in his blinkered glory-hunting tendencies from earlier in the season to shoot wildly from any angle instead of laying the ball on a plate for a team-mate (ie at Dunfermline, at Montrose, etc).  If he could maintain his  display from the QotS game over the 2nd half of the season, or at the very least up his effectiveness ratio from once-a-month, then absolutely keep him.       

It’s highly unlikely we’d be able to replace Morrison with someone better (or even of similar quality) in that position.

However, it’s well documented that there are gaps elsewhere in the squad and if Mcglynn feels he can improve these with the funds, it might still be worth moving Morrison on if it improves the squad overall.

Multiple pages for what I believe is a very unlikely rumour. Did we have this many when he was rumoured to be going to Hamilton? 

In saying that we had hundreds for he who must not be named, but I think that one was credible.

Wish there would be rumours for others leaving instead to be honest, what happened with the 4 who were due to join the fire service?

21 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Indeed. Agreed on all counts. Has anyone at Tier 3 level ever gone for a sum of £100k?   

I think Morton bought Chris Templeman from Brechin for £200,000 in the early 2000s. I think both were in the third tier (Brechin may have been promoted and Morton passed the other way? So it depends on your definition I guess).

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I think Morton bought Chris Templeman from Brechin for £200,000 in the early 2000s. I think both were in the third tier (Brechin may have been promoted and Morton passed the other way? So it depends on your definition I guess).

Aye but that was after Morton had one of their better days at the bookies.