The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Brockvillenomore
17 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Filter that out to the game(s) against Dunfermline, Airdrie and Montrose, and it paints a different picture. In L1, we have always been decent at beating the minnows, but our stats against the upper half opponents is far from great, and up to now, the management team have been unable to turn that around (with the notable exception of FC Edinburgh and Alloa who have now snuck into 4th place).

Our failings are pretty clear……an inability to beat a good number of top half sides who in turn, have beaten us in both previous seasons and this one. I didn’t say McGlynn is defensive. I said he is cautious, and there’s a big difference between the two.

The killer stat is the 6 games against Dunfermline, Airdrie and Montrose. Zero wins, 4 points from 18, scored 2, conceded 7.

Substitute Dunfermline for Cove or Queen’s Park, and it’s so similar to last season…..it’s in these core games that we continue to fail……..plus a couple of Kelty curve balls obviously.

The discussion wasn't about form or comparisons between this and last season.

I responded to your view (1.) McGlynn’s primary aim will be to avoid defeat” on Monday, (2.) he’d take a point now, and (3.) he isn’t an adventurous manager  

The stats don’t support your view and there isn’t a big difference between “defensive” and “cautious” in football terms. They are one and the same. 

@bairn88 also make a good point btw. 

4 hours ago, Brockvillenomore said:

The discussion wasn't about form or comparisons between this and last season.

I responded to your view (1.) McGlynn’s primary aim will be to avoid defeat” on Monday, (2.) he’d take a point now, and (3.) he isn’t an adventurous manager  

The stats don’t support your view and there isn’t a big difference between “defensive” and “cautious” in football terms. They are one and the same. 

@bairn88 also make a good point btw. 

McGlynn’s primary aim for Monday is indeed to avoid defeat. If you can’t grasp that, then there’s little I can write here to change your mind.

Again, if you can’t see a difference between defensive and cautious management, there is nothing I can say to help.

Bairn88 makes a point you are always going to admire because it makes the point that you can point out the good stuff and ignore where Sheerin, Rennie and McGlynn have had consistent issues in (so far) never getting a win over the league’s better sides. This season’s one enigma is FC Edinburgh…….who tend to lose or win but seldom draw. I have no clear idea on why we seem to beat them reasonably comfortably, and others have issues, but they draw very few games, and it’s their ability to win games rather than draw them that is key to them being where they are.

You are also the same person that hit me with the stats to show how Rennie was improving us, and how I was looking at the wrong stats. Clearly you gave up on your set of stats pretty quickly.

Its a bit like the “most points from a losing position”. Klopp said that yes, it’s a stat, but maybe not a good one. It shows you are resilient, but it also shows you have defensive weaknesses. It’s a stat that any manager would seek to minimise by addressing whatever is going wrong defensively.”

The QotS game is a perfect example of that. Do you think McGlynn would keep the 5-2 result to put 3 points on the board, and also claim 3 points from a losing position, or win the game 3-0 and forego 3 points from a losing position? You have to be careful with them there stats, and ultimately, we all know the only stats that really matter.

Happy New Year to one and all.

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

You lot wouldn’t have any spare protest signs from the Coffee Magnate incursion, would you? Weird rumours over in Kirkcaldy on possibly parties behind this latest news,

If MC makes his Twitter public again and idiot fans start calling him Boss and sending pics of club crest haircuts be worried.

If he tries to palm off Keane tickets be very afraid.

He's got 2 coffee vans now and has just sold Trump Tower so he's pretty flush.      

5 minutes ago, Forever_Blue_ said:

🖋 📄... 👀 

On the one hand, if you genuinely know something, tell us.

On the other hand, if we have signed somebody new, maybe we should keep him under wraps until 2.00pm tomorrow?

Finally, if you're just f*cking about, stoap it.

Guest Brockvillenomore
13 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

McGlynn’s primary aim for Monday is indeed to avoid defeat. If you can’t grasp that, then there’s little I can write here to change your mind.

Again, if you can’t see a difference between defensive and cautious management, there is nothing I can say to help.

Bairn88 makes a point you are always going to admire because it makes the point that you can point out the good stuff and ignore where Sheerin, Rennie and McGlynn have had consistent issues in (so far) never getting a win over the league’s better sides. This season’s one enigma is FC Edinburgh…….who tend to lose or win but seldom draw. I have no clear idea on why we seem to beat them reasonably comfortably, and others have issues, but they draw very few games, and it’s their ability to win games rather than draw them that is key to them being where they are.

You are also the same person that hit me with the stats to show how Rennie was improving us, and how I was looking at the wrong stats. Clearly you gave up on your set of stats pretty quickly.

Its a bit like the “most points from a losing position”. Klopp said that yes, it’s a stat, but maybe not a good one. It shows you are resilient, but it also shows you have defensive weaknesses. It’s a stat that any manager would seek to minimise by addressing whatever is going wrong defensively.”

The QotS game is a perfect example of that. Do you think McGlynn would keep the 5-2 result to put 3 points on the board, and also claim 3 points from a losing position, or win the game 3-0 and forego 3 points from a losing position? You have to be careful with them there stats, and ultimately, we all know the only stats that really matter.

Happy New Year to one and all.

I’d wager JMcG’s “primary” aim for Monday is three points tbh.

Most of us would agree we’re defo a work in progress with some obvious weaknesses, but I’m optimistic we can push on. 

I’ve no idea if I’m the person who hit you with stats about MR and I cba looking back to be honest, but I do love a stat and it could well be guilty as charged.

Where MR is concerned he did improve our results in Jan / Feb but after a number of his signings got injured and dropped out of the team (Watson, Kabia, Mills and Jacobs) along with Morrison and Dowds, it wasn’t pretty.

In the end his stats from memory were about the same as PS overall,  but remember GH and PS had between them around 600 days, a blank canvas and a full summer transfer window to build a team and coach a playing style, MR had about 27 days in the January window with a squad and club in disarray.

More importantly, happy new year to you @Duncan Freemason and all Bairns fans, fingers crossed it’s a successful 2023. 

Edited by Brockvillenomore
I can't spell lol