The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Also must be in the minority that quite likes Gary Oliver. He shouldn’t be starting every game but there’s definitely a place for him in our midfield. Progresses the ball very well and very good at keeping hold of the ball. 
If we can get a better option in then sound but if not I think rotating him, Hetherington and Yeats depending on who we’re playing and what kind of player we need in there is absolutely fine.

Don't disagree with this and don't completely disagree with your assessment of Nesbitt either. I think both would be perfectly acceptable as squad players. Nesbitt in particular I think could give us a different dimension coming off the bench, however, as far as the first 11 is concerned, I feel that Lawal is a better option and that we need a completely different type of midfielder in there too. A box to box Vaulks type to do McGinn's running and allow Lawal to concentrate on supporting the strikers would be ideal.

I think the main issue with either Nesbitt or Oliver comes when we need to depend on them as starters because for all their good points there are just as many drawbacks.

13 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

McCann is the only one of last season’s crew who is 100% worthy of the jersey. Other than him, the nearest is probably Morrison. Beyond that, then there is no-one from last season (other than McKay for obvious reasons) that should anywhere near TFS next season.

I remain convinced that we do not make real progress until McGuffie and Nesbitt are gone. Those two are founder members of the 21/22 failure club, and are still plying the self same nonsense this season.

I would be amazed if McGlynn doesn’t seek to sideline both asap. Doing that in January could well transform us imho.…….and just to echo other views on Wilson…….good luck to the lad. He is blameless in all of this. That he was signed at all was purely down to Holt and/or Sheerin……they are the two who determined him good enough, and it’s no surprise that neither of them are in decision making roles any longer.

Sadly, FFC paid the price for giving them the chance to demonstrate how woeful they really were. At least Sheerin had the integrity to publically accept he wasn’t up to it.

Agreed. 

Hetherington is just rotten and not a viable option in any side that wants to win the league.  Oliver is a bit better than mcguffie but like him is no use when the going gets tough. Nesbitt is the best of last year's strugglers and in the right midfield I'm sure would be ok.  We need someone to do McGinns dirty work and then I'd play lawal ahead of mcguffie or Oliver when fit and nesbitt.  Mcguffie and hetherington shouldn't be anywhere near the side especially if Oliver is on the bench. No point having him and mcguffie as options.

44 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Hetherington is just rotten and not a viable option in any side that wants to win the league.  Oliver is a bit better than mcguffie but like him is no use when the going gets tough. Nesbitt is the best of last year's strugglers and in the right midfield I'm sure would be ok.  We need someone to do McGinns dirty work and then I'd play lawal ahead of mcguffie or Oliver when fit and nesbitt.  Mcguffie and hetherington shouldn't be anywhere near the side especially if Oliver is on the bench. No point having him and mcguffie as options.

The thinking has to be what gets the best out of what we have.

That has to be 2 engine room players in the middle of the park signed in the transfer window. Let's be blunt FFC is seen as a side you can bully in the midfield and their right so address the issue and the benefits are obvious

1. Protects the defense but gives the likes of McCann the chance to overlap

2. Gets the best out of McGinn the most creative player on the books

3. Our lightweight forward players will be the same but with more chances created goals should come

8 hours ago, Russ said:

Not been on here for a few weeks but good to see that a few still think the player with the most assists in the league, and the 2nd most in the country, is shite and should be punted.

If you can’t see that we would be a far, far poorer team without Nesbitt in it, despite his flaws and lack of goals himself, then genuinely don’t think football is for you.

Wow. Just wow. The “assists” stats keeps on getting bandied about for a player who contributes as close to the square root of nowt as it’s possible to get. I take it seven or eight meaningful passes in 16 or 17 games by a full time pro against predominantly part time sides marks him out as a key component in our side.

Top tip……ignore his one pass every second game, and watch his meaningful contribution (and by that, I don’t mean running around doing nothing) over 90 minutes and you might see why he needs to be jettisoned as soon as possible.

I suppose it’s all about opinions, but I would be amazed if McGlynn doesn’t get rid of Nesbitt at the end of the season. I would have rated Telfer as a superior sand dancer type, and he hasn’t done much since leaving us, and Nesbitt will go the same way.

As far as gauging a player’s worth, I think I am just fine. A far poorer team without Nesbitt? Deary me. So last season, where would we have finished without Nesbitt’s contribution? A key member of our Bermuda Triangle midfield both then and now.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

4 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Just having a look at our upcoming fixtures and seems like we will have no home games for a 5 week period in the new year.

Won’t be ideal for cashflow.

You don’t half like to try and scare people by talking utter bollocks. By all accounts we have raised the cash to fill the hole for the season so 3/4 weeks without a game at home is irrelevant 

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You don’t half like to try and scare people by talking utter bollocks. By all accounts we have raised the cash to fill the hole for the season so 3/4 weeks without a game at home is irrelevant 

Really?

Just gone midnight here so it's Christmas Eve.

I'd like to wish all my fellow Bairns a Very Merry Navy Blue and White Christmas.

image.gif.44ba48a0ddbfe299fb6148ced61845fa.gif

Here's hoping that Santa comes early to TFS this evening and brings us a comfortable victory and 3 vital league points.

COYB!

3 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Good news.

when do you reckon the AGM papers will be coming out?

No idea. ZBairn posted on here that the hole had been filled. He said he was at a sponsors meeting before the Dundee game when members of the Board told the meeting that I am sure. 

54 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not trying to scare anybody. 5 weeks with very little income isn’t great for any business that depends on cashflow.

10 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Not trying to scare anybody. 5 weeks with very little income isn’t great for any business that depends on cashflow.

Irrelevant if the cash is there to cover it. Only an issue if there is not cash to cover that period