The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, AGPar said:

.... too many of the current lot simply will not take us where we want to go.

Moving on players (and there's 2 or 3 of his own signings I would not be remotely sorry to see the back of) and freshening up the squad is a hell of a task, but every effort has to be made. Otherwise it's a fifth consecutive season at this level.

Spot on. Can't see a way this current collection is going to get promoted. winning the league is almost gone; we have never had the consistency (or quality) to go on any substantial win x 6 or x 10 run, which is what's needed.  Via the Playoffs seems just as big a stretch - we haven't shown the physical or mental strength to get tough and out-muscle anyone in L1, never mind the Championship.  To say January is make or break is a hell of an understatement.  

3 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Spot on. Can't see a way this current collection is going to get promoted. winning the league is almost gone; we have never had the consistency (or quality) to go on any substantial win x 6 or x 10 run, which is what's needed.  Via the Playoffs seems just as big a stretch - we haven't shown the physical or mental strength to get tough and out-muscle anyone in L1, never mind the Championship.  To say January is make or break is a hell of an understatement.  

Great post 

4 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Should they decide to see out their contracts it doesn’t really change anything, they will just be taking their contracted salary.

Should they strike a deal to leave early then no loss to the quality of the squad and potentially enough money freed up (probably need at least three of them to move on) to fund a new signing.

These fringe guys whose contracts are nearing their end will already be having serious conversations with their agents.

Do you need an agent when your next club is East Stirling and Lithgy Rose ?

Edited by Bairnschild

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Just been on the ‘Race to Administration’ thread on the Championship Forum. 

Did one of you shag that angry Morton fans mum/wife/sister or something ? There’s something about any chat about Falkirk that totally triggers the guy. He comes across as absolutely seething like he actually hates us 😂.

He does hate us, but then I think he probably hates everyone, himself especially!

7 hours ago, AGPar said:

Paying them a proportion of their wage - in return for nothing - between now and the expiry of their contracts is still preferable to paying them their full wage. 

But you said there would be no financial penalty to the club by having these conversations. 
Of course paying them off and bringing in better players is preferable but it costs money. 
It is not McGlynn being brave or not it the financials in the main IMO will drive these decisions 

Edited by Back Post Misses

16 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

There is a difference in making the hard calls and the affordability. 
If McGlynn could have do you not think he would have cleared virtually all of them last summer? Personally I do but finance dictated he was stuck with them. 

Six months left on contracts may make things a bit easier now hopefully. 

100%, and I think this is evidenced by his release of telfer who was the only one of those out of contract even though he was the best out of that bunch. 

6 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

But you said there would be no financial penalty to the club by having these conversations. 
Of course paying them off and bringing in better players is preferable but it costs money. 
It is not McGlynn being brave or not it the financials in the main IMO will drive these decisions 

Eh? Who said anything about "paying off players"? It certainly wasn't me anyway.

The idea that McGlynn simply sitting down with a few players for an honest conversation about their future would automatically, inevitably lead to the club being disadvantaged on a financial level is simply nonsensical. There are numerous possible outcomes to such a scenario, none of which would leave the club any worse off, and some the opposite. 

As I said previously Mcglynn was loathe to push harder to get players out the door in case it affected team morale too much even though one of the caveates in him getting the extra money in his budget was that it would be ballanced out by players moving on too.  He's obviously been in discussion with the board over January moves or he wouldn't be looking at options but who knows whether he needs to move players on or not to facilitate that. If he does I'm sure he realises that to have a chance of pushing the pars we need players in badly and will have to make some tough decisions on who is told they can move on.  Sometimes you have to move on one of your better players to improve the side. I wonder if Morrison would have a few suitors. He has scored a few worldies which would perhaps sway someone else to take a chance on him. 

54 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

As I said previously Mcglynn was loathe to push harder to get players out the door in case it affected team morale too much even though one of the caveates in him getting the extra money in his budget was that it would be ballanced out by players moving on too.  He's obviously been in discussion with the board over January moves or he wouldn't be looking at options but who knows whether he needs to move players on or not to facilitate that. If he does I'm sure he realises that to have a chance of pushing the pars we need players in badly and will have to make some tough decisions on who is told they can move on.  Sometimes you have to move on one of your better players to improve the side. I wonder if Morrison would have a few suitors. He has scored a few worldies which would perhaps sway someone else to take a chance on him. 

Tbh is there any player I’d be upset/angry to see go in a week or so - it’s a big NO

24 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Tbh is there any player I’d be upset/angry to see go in a week or so - it’s a big NO

Well I certainly wouldn't want to see the likes of Donaldson, McGinn or, especially, McCann lining up against us!

Also, whilst he's very infuriating, Morrison would no doubt tear us a new one if playing against us.

2 hours ago, AGPar said:

Eh? Who said anything about "paying off players"? It certainly wasn't me anyway.

The idea that McGlynn simply sitting down with a few players for an honest conversation about their future would automatically, inevitably lead to the club being disadvantaged on a financial level is simply nonsensical. There are numerous possible outcomes to such a scenario, none of which would leave the club any worse off, and some the opposite. 

It is not nonsensical at all. I am agreeing with you about having those conversations but the reality is if you want shot early it will cost you money, unless you can find a loan to the end of the contract. They players are not going to walk away for nothing 

Letting go of a better player to improve a side is far and away one of the most difficult things to get right. The manager is a genius if it works, and a clown if it doesn’t. In truth, it can only be accurately gauged if that’s the one and only change that is made.

Simply put, it’s easy to say “well how has QP or the Pars or Airdrie or Montrose or Cove Rangers  got on without having a Telfer or a Morrison in the side”? The answer is of course, “really well.” Thing is, it’s never that simple.

What is crystal clear is that it still feels like we are miles off it……..but we might actually only be three players away from being transformed into something pretty decent. That’s the kind of hope we’ve been clinging to for a few years now, and it would be a brave manager to release one of our better players while the four or five amigos who are never going to get a game remain on the books.

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Letting go of a better player to improve a side is far and away one of the most difficult things to get right. The manager is a genius if it works, and a clown if it doesn’t. In truth, it can only be accurately gauged if that’s the one and only change that is made.

Simply put, it’s easy to say “well how has QP or the Pars or Airdrie or Montrose or Cove Rangers  got on without having a Telfer or a Morrison in the side”? The answer is of course, “really well.” Thing is, it’s never that simple.

What is crystal clear is that it still feels like we are miles off it……..but we might actually only be three players away from being transformed into something pretty decent. That’s the kind of hope we’ve been clinging to for a few years now, and it would be a brave manager to release one of our better players while the four or five amigos who are never going to get a game remain on the books.

JJ was a master at doing this.  Moving on players like Neil Duffy, Eddie may etc and bringing in players that would improve the side as a whole and often a good chunk of cash so we always seemed to be better off. May to Motherwell to bring in Kirk, mcgrillen and 250k was brilliant business especially when some of that money then brought in mojo. The best managers can wheel and deal and mcglynn has been very good at it in the past so hopefully he'll be able to conjure up some magic in January one way or another.