The Falkirk FC Thread

I think if we missed out on the playoffs then serious questions would have to be asked but I'm still confident that we will make the playoffs comfortably and then Who knows. The main thing if we don't go up is that we have something to build on for next season and are heading in the right direction.

9 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Because some posters, not all, are relentlessly anti club/manager/board in every post they make in here. 

And some are diametrically opposite. Yet never, ever questioned about their partiality. Or accused of having a particular agenda. Strange.

33 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I think we need to have a look at this 8 wins from 16 or 17 whatever it is. Not all are down to McGlynn. Was it McGlynn’s fault that Henderson dived in away at Dunfermline that would have saw us win? Was it McGlynn’s fault that McGinn gave the ball away in a dangerous area against Airdrie or Oliver’s miss that would have saw us win? Was it McGlynn’s fault that we couldn’t defend one Clyde attack in the second half that would have saw us win? Was it McGlynn’s fault that we conceded Kelty’s only shot of the second half that would have got us a draw? No. He can’t be accountable for situations within games. This is on the players and players alone. By god, the last two season’s teams would have crumbled at 2-0 down to Kelty or 2-1 then 3-2 down to Clyde away. Of course he can be blamed for certain defeats, particularly last Thursday night for example, but this McGlynn should be doing better than 8 wins from x amount of games without context is ludicrous IMO.

I know what you're saying and you're right in that anything can happen in a match. Very fine margins and all that. Individual errors will affect all teams, some more than others though.

McGlynn is responsible for signing and coaching the players though so he's got to accept his share of the blame when the players he puts on the pitch feck things up.

Similarly, he should accept a good slice of the praise in improving individual players and the team in general.

9 minutes ago, AGPar said:

And some are diametrically opposite. Yet never, ever questioned about their partiality. Or accused of having a particular agenda. Strange.

Never questioned by whom? Me? If I think someone's wrong in what they're saying I'll tell them. I can't speak for anyone else however.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

Why? Why does someone making what seem fairly reasoned comments - whether you happen to agree with them or not -  about the performance of the manager to date mean they must have an axe to grind? Or "an agenda"? Or any of the other accusations that are routinely thrown in the direction of anyone who is not relentlessly pro-club/manager/board in every post they make on here. Bizarre.

This.  Time we started questioning the 'agenda' of those posters who won't utter a single word of criticism in order to keep their mates on the board in a position of power.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I think if we missed out on the playoffs then serious questions would have to be asked but I'm still confident that we will make the playoffs comfortably and then Who knows. The main thing if we don't go up is that we have something to build on for next season and are heading in the right direction.

This is where I am too. I think we'll comfortably make the playoffs but even I'd we didn't somehow manage that I'd still give McGlynn another season

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I think that's fair on the basis that I think we pretty much all wrote off a title challenge this season before the first game, and some of us IIRC said we would do well to make the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

For me, folk can post what they want, a lot of the board stuff gets tedious as f**k but a line should be drawn at the relentless borderline doxxing of a certain  poster, who absolutely is not treated fairly on here. 

He can be called out of course, and iv disagreed with him on various things iver the last few seasons but often it's below the belt. 

All this agenda chat is such rubbish. It is obvious when someone is supporting the board no matter what and it's obvious when someone will take any opportunity to tear them down. But both have good points either way and trying to have everyone ignore arguments because of "agenda" is just as bad. If someone is spouting nonsense they should be called out on it, agenda or no agenda. But just because someone is constantly critical doesn't mean they don't  have a point every so often. 

I honestly don't think paying off McGlynn at the end of the season would make any sense. If we are considering paying him off it's because we have another season yet again in league one which is already a bit of a financial disaster in itself. To add a pay off on top of dealing with another year of lower income would seem completely irresponsible to me financially. Then who do we hire to replace him that is a step up? Who would want to manage a potentially part time/hybrid team in league one that changed manager every 6 months - 1 year the last several seasons. 

For that reason I think McGlynn would have to really disasterously and royally mess up for me to remotely consider a pay off being a good option. 

There’s a want from everyone whether a supporter, on the  BOD, work in the club shop, playing for one of our schools/community teams for the team to do well. Can’t argue that after the complete abhorrent shite over the past couple of years, there’s been improvement. However we’re half way through season and the stats are at best average. M&S had the budget stretched and for me the 12 brought in are at best average. Not all signings work out, but if anyone thinks that average players win titles or get promotion your watching the wrong sport. I’ve no inside information or ITK, but with the recent plead for cash, it’s likely we’ll see little changes in players coming/leaving, in a very difficult window. Will this squad do it? I’ve grave concerns. Said earlier minimum of seven points in next three games needed (probably nine if we have any will for promotion) will the players who know they’ve little chance of a new contract roll up their sleeves and give it there best - McKay apart as guaranteed one more year - Morrison Nesbit McGuffie Hetherington Williamson (out again) that’s my concerns…. 

My biggest concern is that we aren’t far off becoming an established L1 club. Board, support, management team……no-one wants that to happen, and yet we never seem to get away from that becoming a reality.

Clearly we aren’t going to get promoted automatically this season, and our only realistic hope is via the play offs……a scenario that McGlynn has a zero success rate in achieving. I think his last attempt against QotS ended up with a comprehensive first leg defeat at home 0-3 that effectively killed the tie.

The only upside to the play offs is that you need to win two from four games or three games from six as a minimum in order to get through on aggregate. Of what we have seen this season, can we do that? I think so, but equally, there’s the just as real likelihood that no, we just aren’t up to that sort of challenge. If you look at Dundee’s results this season, even the poorest sides in the Championship have given them a run for their money over two games, whereas we have been swatted aside with absolute ease. 

Simply put, we probably have too few players really up for that sort of challenge. Of course, there’s always the January transfer window, but unless we bring in a RB, a CF and some sort of midfielder to bring Nesbitt’s time in the starting XI to an end, we will struggle.

6 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

So do you think we should get rid just now then or at the end of the season? Spend thousands on a pay off then start all over again. How long do you feel we should give the new guy? Should it be 'right mate, 6 months and if we're not top of the league, you're out' or maybe a full season instead? Remember that he would have to bring in his own squad and they would need to hit the ground running.

The only type of manager we could hope to attract under those conditions would either be a Sheerin type punt or a Yogi type who nobody else would want IMO.

If we fail to go up I would honestly get rid at the end of the season. Even allowing for the dross that we had left over from last season both ourselves and Dunfermline should be miles ahead of the rest of the teams in this league. Dunfermline are achieving that, sort of, while we under McGlynn’s management aren’t. And you can’t blame everything on the left over players, some of McGlynn’s team selections, tactics and stubbornness have contributed to our performances and league position.

A lesson learned for the board in giving out a 2 year contract. I don’t think that McGlynn would have been too difficult to deal with, he was obviously desperate to leave Raith Rovers and I’m sure that we could have negotiated a 1 year deal with him. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. Everybody rightly praised the board for only giving Rennie a 6 month deal, surely we can get somebody new in on a 1 year deal? These are tough times for everyone, a 1 year deal is better than no deal.

55 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

If we fail to go up I would honestly get rid at the end of the season. Even allowing for the dross that we had left over from last season both ourselves and Dunfermline should be miles ahead of the rest of the teams in this league. Dunfermline are achieving that, sort of, while we under McGlynn’s management aren’t. And you can’t blame everything on the left over players, some of McGlynn’s team selections, tactics and stubbornness have contributed to our performances and league position.

A lesson learned for the board in giving out a 2 year contract. I don’t think that McGlynn would have been too difficult to deal with, he was obviously desperate to leave Raith Rovers and I’m sure that we could have negotiated a 1 year deal with him. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. Everybody rightly praised the board for only giving Rennie a 6 month deal, surely we can get somebody new in on a 1 year deal? These are tough times for everyone, a 1 year deal is better than no deal.

Don't forget the two-year contracts dished out to Sean Mackie, Liam Henderson and Finn Yeats - none of whom have set the heather on fire or could be described as first choice starters.  Seems its not only Gary Holt who was handing out deals to guys not up to the required standard.

Guest Back Post Misses
12 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

Don't forget the two-year contracts dished out to Sean Mackie, Liam Henderson and Finn Yeats - none of whom have set the heather on fire or could be described as first choice starters.  Seems its not only Gary Holt who was handing out deals to guys not up to the required standard.

Correct it was 

26 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

Bearing in mind that he's building a squad, not just a first 11, I don't see anything wrong with any of them. Would I rather we had better? Of course I would, but in the 3rd tier of Scottish football? Gie's a break man.