The Falkirk FC Thread

Another episode in the bag last night. Hope you are all enjoying/getting something from the podcasts but if not & think we could tweak something or mix it up, just let us know on here or via the social accounts.

Thanks to the 1500-2000 of you who listen/download/watch every week 💪🏼

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I obviously wouldn’t be paying him off at this stage- my response was to the argument that he’s already ‘earned another season’.

Hopefully we’ll see an improvement over the second half of the season but I would seriously be looking at options if this doesn’t happen.

Since 1990 the only managers we’ve had in charge for a reasonable period of time have been Jefferies, Totten, Yogi and Houstie - you see the pattern there ?

I can’t understand why so many of our fans want a new manager what feels like every 5 minutes.

24 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The Patrick strip was fantastic, and it was the 1st one I owned. The shorts were ok but the red socks were superb. They had red/white turnovers and the Patrick logo on the outside.

The away Patrick strip was a cracker as well if I remember correctly. White with blue, pretty much just a reverse of the home.

11 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Since 1990 the only managers we’ve had in charge for a reasonable period of time have been Jefferies, Totten, Yogi and Houstie - you see the pattern there ?

I can’t understand why so many of our fans want a new manager what feels like every 5 minutes.

Plus people need to stop comparing McGlynn's Falkirk with last season's team (after the equivalent number of matches played).

Instead, compare his team with the absolute fucking state that was FFC in April & consider the improvement.

3 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I would want to see a win rate better than 8 from 17. That for me simply isn’t good enough for any team hoping to gain promotion.

You say we’ve gone off the boil “in recent weeks” but actually we’ve struggled to put a run of wins together at any point of the season and there have been a good number of poor results and performances.

In my view it would be grossly irresponsible to offer an extension based solely on what we’ve seen so far. It may well be that there’s an improvement over the second half of the season (hopefully there is) but I just can’t see a strong argument for giving him another season at this stage when previous managers have been sacked with a better or similar points record.

If we finish 3rd but our points total in the 2nd half is much better than the first half, would you think he would be worth an extension at that point?

An opinion on our team performance this season.

Given our accomplishments (!) thus far in 22-23, there is little difference between recent seasons in League 1. This is despite McGlynn (as seen from a squad list a page or so ago) having been able to bring enough players to shape his squad.
For me, the Dundee game last week epitomises the main problem. Asking players of moderate ability to play out from the back against faster, stronger opponents playing a pressing game, is utter folly.
The current team do this game after game - for Dundee substitute any of the current League 1 top 5.

The common denominator is this 4-2-3-1 system. I hate it.

The arrogance of manager after manager who insist our team play in this style despite our players lacking the required skill, pace and strength for it to succeed has been the root of our demise.
Sure, against noticeably weaker teams - usually part-time ! - we look title contenders but……

4-2-3-1 : inevitably ends with a punt up the field to the “1”, a ludicrous move especially when the lone striker is usually a man (Burrell) who excels at runs down the channels but who can’t trap a bag of cement.
And, it’s not just Falkirk (Argentina v Holland anyone?). 

There remains a snobbish attitude that football can only be played in “the correct manner” and any hint of playing to strengths (e.g height) is accompanied by media and coaching derision.
Until we have a manager willing to row against the tide (such as Holland in that last, epic 10 minutes) mid table League 1 will be achieved season after season.
And then……..

Edited by HonestAl

11 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

An opinion on our team performance this season.

Given our accomplishments (!) thus far in 22-23, there is little difference between recent seasons in League 1. This is despite McGlynn (as seen from a squad list a page or so ago) having been able to bring enough players to shape his squad.
For me, the Dundee game last week epitomises the main problem. Asking players of moderate ability to play out from the back against faster, stronger opponents playing a pressing game, is utter folly.
The current team do this game after game - for Dundee substitute any of the current League 1 top 5.

The common denominator is this 4-2-3-1 system. I hate it.

The arrogance of manager after manager who insist our team play in this style despite our players lacking the required skill, pace and strength for it to succeed has been the root of our demise.
Sure, against noticeably weaker teams - usually part-time ! - we look title contenders but……

4-2-3-1 : inevitably ends with a punt up the field to the “1”, a ludicrous move especially when the lone striker is usually a man (Burrell) who excels at runs down the channels but who can’t trap a bag of cement.
And, it’s not just Falkirk (Argentina v Holland anyone?). 

There remains a snobbish attitude that football can only be played in “the correct manner” and any hint of playing to strengths (e.g height) is accompanied by media and coaching derision.
Until we have a manager willing to row against the tide (such as Holland in that last, epic 10 minutes) mid table League 1 will be achieved season after season.
And then……..

I could just about see where you're coming from if we played 4-2-3-1, but we don't.

Guest Back Post Misses
4 hours ago, Zbairn said:

What would be quite nice from the club, if they were to post online various strip designs from O'Neills and let the fans choose by a vote.  Particularly since we can get a bespoke strip. Maybe even get some designs from the fans in :)

Better that than have one (or two) at the club deciding ! 

Oh f**k no. Remember the monstrosities at East Fife and Firhill with that?

It is not difficult. Navy Blue top with white trim, White shorts (you can have a little blue in the piping or something), red socks.

Away reverse top and shorts with white or navy socks. Job done 

Guest Back Post Misses
4 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’d be wanting to see significantly more from him before making that decision. As was pointed out on Falkirk Daft last night, our previous managers have all been punted with very similar points records to Mcglynn so far, never mind given contract extensions.

He has been given the opportunity to bring in a significant number of players yet we have won less than half of our games in league 1. Nothing there yet to suggest he should be given an extension for me- hopefully that will change over the second half of the season.

He has another season in his contract. Failing an absolute collapse of M&M, Sheerin and Rennie proportions I hope we  stick with McGlynn. 
No matter what his critics say he was saddled with a load of garbage by Holt with only McCann and Morrison (not a Holt signing) who are near the standard required. 

I suppose people must be expecting more of a collapse to come... Muscle memory I suppose, but I'd guess there are way more players in that dressing room who have the pride to not let that happen. 

So with that in mind, I am going to suggest that in no part of M&Ms (even the start when they were chasing Raith), Sheerins or Rennies reigns, do their teams get anything other than fucking skelped off this version, or any other we have seen of McGlynns. 

McGlynns side on their worst day has more at the very least more defensive nous, a surer goalkeeper, a midfielder or two who doesn't hide, a flash of genuine (for the level talent ,Lawal btw), genuine pace up front and a physical option.  

We have been fucking grim of late in patches, but iv already said my piece in the Airdrie thread that I believe this is the best League 1 we have faced by a mile. 

M&M have us nowhere near Dunfermline, and probably still getting bodied QoS etc. 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

He has another season in his contract. Failing an absolute collapse of M&M, Sheerin and Rennie proportions I hope we  stick with McGlynn. 
No matter what his critics say he was saddled with a load of garbage by Holt with only McCann and Morrison (not a Holt signing) who are near the standard required. 

Yes, there are duds left over from last season but he has been given substantial backing by the board and allowed to bring in 12 of his own players. Add McCann and Morrison to those and there should in my view be a team capable of better than 8 wins from 17 in league 1.

I wouldn’t be looking to sack him at all but for me, if there is no improvement over the rest of the season in terms of points gained and runs of wins, I would look for a replacement for next season.

If he is punted it will be due to his stubbornness and sticking with players who are consistently poor.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Morrison is down with the rest of the jobbers. He gets an easy ride from too many in our support.

A lot of chat over the past couple of days about the points comparison after 17 games on previous seasons. Many surprised that mcglynns record is very similar to sacked managers as it feels like we've done better 

I haven't looked at it, but my guess is that our goal difference might be better at plus 11 this season versus those seasons. So maybe we've been winning games more comfortably and losing by less when we lose that would explain the slightly better feeling this year than others? Apologies if I'm completely wrong re the goal difference.

We also have what feels like the nucleus of a decent side compared to the previous few seasons. It just needs the right formation and starting eleven and a plan b when plan a isn't working.

Bottom line for me is that my gut feeling is the same as it was this time last Christmas. Scrape into the Play-offs in May and hope for a miracle. I don't see that changing. Even if we do have marginally better players than last year, Dunfermline have shown more bottle and it will take some collapse to catch them ( or Edinburgh).

Edited by latapythelegend

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Spot on. Our worst league position in 40 odd years, there lies the difference between previous managers taking over a squad. To turn that round in one transfer window after being left with the Holt Hangover is a hard ask for anyone. 

12 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

We also have what feels like the nucleus of a decent side compared to the previous few seasons. It just needs the right formation and starting eleven and a plan b when plan a isn't working.

If we aren't getting those things right doesn't that suggest that we need a new manager who knows what he is doing then? 

Or have I been whoosed?

Edited by Bairn in Exile

Guest Back Post Misses
15 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Morrison is down with the rest of the jobbers. He gets an easy ride from too many in our support.

I said near the standard required