The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Folk getting their knickers in a twist over losing to a much better side from a league above.

We’d have lost to Peterhead if we performed like that. It’s not the loss, or who we were playing that’s the issue. It’s the selection and performance that was the problem. 

What worries me is after years of watching inexperienced managers make the same mistakes over and over again we're now seeing McGlynn do the exact same thing. 

He's obviously still hamstrung with a fair few players who aren't good enough but it's on him if he continually starts them expecting different results.

Lawal's got that bit of magic in him so the more minutes he gets on the park the better, he's also much more likely to win the ball back than the powderpuff Nesbitt. Frustrates the living daylight out of me how soft he is.

Alegria's whole game is holding the ball up and bringing others into play which is why when he came on tonight the ball started sticking and we were far better for it so he absolutely needs to start when we're persisting with the one upfront.

Edited by FFC 1876

What a fucking stinking performance that was. Joke penalty or not, we never had a hope of winning that. Bizarre team selection and set up from McGlynn

Hopefully Hetherington and McGuffie never start for us again because both are utterly shite. 

Must have been our lowest attendance in years outside of friendlies to cap off a pish night. I suppose the only positive is a couple of days extra rest for the players before hopefully getting our season back in track next week.

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

That was fucking awful!

Not a chance that McGlynn's going to play Burrell and Alegria together now if he wasn't prepared to do it tonight.

Nobody really got pass marks, certainly not in the first half anyway. There was an improvement in the second although we never looked like scoring. PJ was like a rabbit in the headlights and his kicking was rotten. McKay was shite as was Mackie. Donaldson's good on the ball although he slows everything down. McGinn was ok but definitely needs a rest. McGuffie, Hetherington and Nesbitt were rank and Kennedy's the definition of a sand dancer. Nothing sticks with Burrell, Alegria's better in that one up role but, now that teams know exactly what to expect from us, they really should be playing together because we need to change something. Not going to happen though.

23 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

Was it no discussed on the last Falkirk Daft that we weren't far away from plugging the 400k gap?

They wish. Wonder why they had to issue those 25, 10 year season tickets?? Not even as if we are playing well either. One way to get the cash early. But surely would be better to try and get more fans joining the FSS or patrons group. Feel like you get more for your money with them than with a season ticket

11 minutes ago, Mon_Eh_Bairns2018 said:

They wish. Wonder why they had to issue those 25, 10 year season tickets?? Not even as if we are playing well either. One way to get the cash early. But surely would be better to try and get more fans joining the FSS or patrons group. Feel like you get more for your money with them than with a season ticket

Was at a sponsors do in the Westfield Lounge tonight. KJ spoke and indicated that the gap had been plugged. Next target is to raise extra revenue to build a buffer for next season.

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Was at a sponsors do in the Westfield Lounge tonight. KJ spoke and indicated that the gap had been plugged. Next target is to raise extra revenue to build a buffer for next season.

Good news, sounds like they know what they are doing 👏

That was honking. Right from the start the players looked miles off it. Couldn't make a simple pass and the game was done in the first 15 minutes. Improved a bit in the second half hard to have been much worse, but it's been done to death on here about Holt's signings and the vast majority are still killing us. I agree with others I'm not sure what McGlynn knows is his best side but it's death by a thousand cuts and I don't see much movement in January. Very much in the balance now. Be an exodus in the summer McGlynn might be part of it too.

Back to footy matters.  Some observations.

PJ Morrison was abysmal with his kick outs and could have cost us a few goals.

McKay is never a right back

You can't play Hetherington and McGinn in the same team. Both were rubbish tonight. I've said it before that McGinn can't run. If in doubt, have a look at their 3rd goal.

You can't play McCann and Kennedy together. McCann's wing back game is stifled with Kennedy hogging the wing. 

Nesbitt can't tackle a fish supper and in any physical game he disappears. 

Burrell is not a lone striker. He has pace but needs the right ball played behind the defence. He is most effective when played out wide. 

McGlynn got it totally wrong with his selection tonight. Played not to lose and the team didn't turn up till changes made in the 2nd half when they pressed much higher up the pitch. 

I'm still trying thaw out !

Grim stuff tonight but some of the comments on here a bit over the top.

Poor team selection and utterly predictable tactics from the Manager led to an awful first half.

McKay is not a right back, Mackie looked uncomfortable, Nesbitt, McGuffie and Heatherington are barely League One standard players and were completely outclassed tonight and Burrell is never a lone striker.

I would cut PJ  a bit of slack given it was his first game back after months out through injury and was thrown into the deep end tonight.

Dundee are vastly better than anything in our league but Peterhead would have caused us problems in that first half.

My main concern is that McGlynn seems far too set in his ways tactically, not unusual for him to use all five substitutes and continue with the same failing formation.

Not too keen on McGlynn's interview as for me the penalties a stonewaller, it's essentially the exact same thing we should have got a penalty for against Airdrie. Mccann was clumsy trying to recover and tripped him up from behind.

Williamson's out with another injury, just pay him off in January instead of wasting another half a season treating him. 

Donaldson suspended for next week so it'll be a Mckay & Mackie partnership at centre back.

Result of no real interest but a worrying trend that we seem to be getting worse with every performance at the moment. 

Wanted Mackie back in at CB but by Christ he had a stinker tonight. Mcginn needs a rest, which should’ve been tonight. Yeats needs far more game time. Burrell 1 up top needs binned.

Alloa away then QOS at home - 2 wins or we’re suddenly really really struggling 

3 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

What worries me is after years of watching inexperienced managers make the same mistakes over and over again we're now seeing McGlynn do the exact same thing. 

McGlynn’s biggest fault at Raith was his steadfast choice of certain players, even when they weren’t producing. Combine that with the occasional attempts at tactically adjusting the starting lineup to “take advantage” of some opponents, and the last half of last season was a nightmare. On the other hand, he managed to get a tune out of some really mismatched parts more than a few times, I just don’t know if he has enough this season to make it happen.

“No Embarrassment” - from our manager John McGlynn.

If you thought that lasts display wasn’t embarrassing you shouldn’t be anywhere near this club. Not sure what game JM was watching but give me a break, we were abhorrently embarrassing over the piece (albeit slight improvement in second 45 when Dundee simply went into training mode) 

Recently posted about our next seven or so games, being critical, being realistic season could be over first week in January. Donaldson interview very worrying but truthful, and also refers to the importance of Alloa Queens & our fife neighbours. Nothing short of seven or nine points is needed and desperately needing at least three new faces, which we all know is going to be near impossible. 

I see in the Herald McGlynn talks about players playing themselves out of the team and the requirement for players to step up to the plate. It has taken him too long to learn that there are players in that squad who are incapable of that yet he has persisted with them. We need to see a bit of movement come January. We need a right back, a ball winning midfielder and a goal scorer. I don’t see it happening as we don’t have the cash and I think McGlynn would struggle to move any on.

We have definitely improved under McGlynn and he has brought in on the whole better players but he needs to find his best 11 quick and he needs to rethink his lone striker strategy, especially where Burrel is concerned. The worrying thing for me is we now look as likely to concede goals as we do score them.

Guest Back Post Misses
7 hours ago, Mon_Eh_Bairns2018 said:

They have been trying for months to get the FSS numbers up. 620 just is not enough to make a significant difference. It needs three times that IMO

Guest Back Post Misses
25 minutes ago, Springfield said:

“No Embarrassment” - from our manager John McGlynn.

If you thought that lasts display wasn’t embarrassing you shouldn’t be anywhere near this club. Not sure what game JM was watching but give me a break, we were abhorrently embarrassing over the piece (albeit slight improvement in second 45 when Dundee simply went into training mode) 

Recently posted about our next seven or so games, being critical, being realistic season could be over first week in January. Donaldson interview very worrying but truthful, and also refers to the importance of Alloa Queens & our fife neighbours. Nothing short of seven or nine points is needed and desperately needing at least three new faces, which we all know is going to be near impossible. 

Can’t see McGlynn getting fresh money but if he can get some out then he can hopefully get some in. But the squad needs 2/3 fresh faces. 

Let’s face it and if truth be told it’s increasingly like another one season down here.
There was some optimism way back when we played really well at our fife neighbours and really unlucky not to take the three points. For me we’ve regressed since that game albeit with one or two decent if not expected performances against teams with absolute respect we should be winning. We’ve no natural leaders, soft in tackles (Mackie exempt)and players that should be nowhere near the club. Yes it’s others BODs/managers players, but the current BOD have backed the new manager with additional funds so arguably we should be doing a hellava lot better.

Big pants time for the BOD - yes we’re financially on a knife edge but we desperately need minimum three players in, doing nowt and we’re facing another financially crippling season, as with this current lot we’re desperately short, or knock on Sandy/Martin door for a  soft loan, maybe we’ve already had the knock, but failure to do nowt in the transfer window gives me grave concerns.

Guest Back Post Misses
9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Let’s face it and if truth be told it’s increasingly like another one season down here.
There was some optimism way back when we played really well at our fife neighbours and really unlucky not to take the three points. For me we’ve regressed since that game albeit with one or two decent if not expected performances against teams with absolute respect we should be winning. We’ve no natural leaders, soft in tackles (Mackie exempt)and players that should be nowhere near the club. Yes it’s others BODs/managers players, but the current BOD have backed the new manager with additional funds so arguably we should be doing a hellava lot better.

Big pants time for the BOD - yes we’re financially on a knife edge but we desperately need minimum three players in, doing nowt and we’re facing another financially crippling season, as with this current lot we’re desperately short, or knock on Sandy/Martin door for a  soft loan, maybe we’ve already had the knock, but failure to do nowt in the transfer window gives me grave concerns.

I agree we need to get 2/3 people in January but let’s get some out that are just burning cash.