The Falkirk FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

This is definitely the case. In that initial Covid interupted season and the one after the standard was terrible. You still have Falkirk, Airdrie, Montrose, Peterhead and Clyde, and you could substitute Raith for Dunfermline. Apart from that East Fife, Dumbarton, Forfar and Stanraer have been replaced by Kelty, Alloa, Queen of the South and Edinburgh who will all have far bigger budgets than those 4 and all be chasing promotion.

As you say the mid to lower table is so much better now. For most of those 2 seasons I'd say most Airdrie fans wanted Murray out and we were awful to watch, yet we ended up finishing 3rd and then 2nd. Our current side is much better than those ones but is struggling due to the higher quality of the league.

I think any points comparisons between those seasons and this are almost meaningless.

I think the league has been improving for a while. The Airdrie side that finished 3rd in 16/17 were dreadful and the Brechin team below us were even worse, as seen by their points total the following season. As you say, we were pretty average throughout 19/20 and then dreadful for over half of 20/21 too yet still made the play-off final. 

I think Falkirk this season are clearly much better than the last few seasons. They’re not perfect and it might take another year to try and build a better team but I’m certainly a lot more concerned about playing this team than I ever was about the last couple of seasons.

We arguably have the best team we have had since coming down. I think that's at the very least a point that can be debated. We probably have the best manager we have had. But this side, and you can apply this to Dunfermline too, aren't routinely pumping anyone. 
McKinnon and M&M got on the the right end of a few thrashings. Absolutely no one in this league looks like you could hit them for 5 or 6, and Dumfermline, Edinburgh, Airdrie, Montrose, Alloa and Queens, even though we have beaten the latter two reasonably comfortably, are not teams you hit for 5 or 6. And then you have league newcomers Kelty who have clowned us twice. 
I would say the gap between top and bottom is less, and the teams nearer the bottom are way more competent than they were 2/3 years ago. 
I'm not saying the quality of the league is suddenly amazing or anything like that, I'm saying there are less routine tankings being dished out. 

Maybe it’s a good time to point out that yesterdays opponents were beaten 6-0 AT HOME to Edinburgh City a few weeks back then won their next home league game 5-0….

This is definitely the case. In that initial Covid interupted season and the one after the standard was terrible. You still have Falkirk, Airdrie, Montrose, Peterhead and Clyde, and you could substitute Raith for Dunfermline. Apart from that East Fife, Dumbarton, Forfar and Stanraer have been replaced by Kelty, Alloa, Queen of the South and Edinburgh who will all have far bigger budgets than those 4 and all be chasing promotion.
As you say the mid to lower table is so much better now. For most of those 2 seasons I'd say most Airdrie fans wanted Murray out and we were awful to watch, yet we ended up finishing 3rd and then 2nd. Our current side is much better than those ones but is struggling due to the higher quality of the league.
I think any points comparisons between those seasons and this are almost meaningless.

You could also point out that the bottom two this season are significantly adrift of the rest but we still managed to drop 2 points to Clyde last week which finished our automatic promotion hopes….

I like McGlynn a fair bit and think we’d struggle a get a better manager in the position we’re currently in. He still has my full backing and think he undoubtedly needs time to build a team fully in his own image, and we should give him that time. However, I don’t think it’s out the question that he has made some baffling tactical decisions. Anyone watching the game yesterday could see that the game was slipping away from us in the second half and that we were losing grip in the middle of the pitch, and he took far too long to change it. 8 wins out of 17 in League One, with 8 points from a possible 18 in the last 6 league games, are hardly brilliant records either. I think we’ll make the playoffs this season, but given the financial state we’re in we really need to go up this year. I think we’ve definitely improved (although comparing to last season annoys me a little because it’s such a low bar), but I’m still not entirely convinced this team has the mentality needed to get through the tough times both during games and in the longer season. Time will tell.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

If the financial situation is as stark as made out then McGlynn will be getting no money this January and very likely losing more players than he can bring in during the summer if we stay down.  

For now we're stuck with the players we have and he needs to find a way to use them more effectively.  2 up front would be a start.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

Just watched the highlights. No idea if the early penalty shout on Burrell was a penalty or not, if anything I thought that the keeper may have got a touch on it. Alegria should have possibly got a shot away before he was fouled for the second shout but it was most definitely a penalty. Defender blatantly pushed him to the ground. The ref. showed what he thinks about players pushing though when he ignored the two handed shove by Ballantyne on Burrell in the first half.

Somebody mentioned to me yesterday that McGinn had 4 or 5 touches on the ball before giving it away for their goal and I agreed because it looked that way at the time. He actually touched the ball twice then was short with a back pass to McCann. That was the only time that I remember him making a mistake yesterday despite folk saying he was bad and that his legs have gone, in fact I remember him making some very accurate passes, one in the 2nd half to Kennedy (I think) was sublime.

We had more than enough chances to win the game, Oliver's sitter being the best one of course. I think we've got to try to get a striker in in the window to give us more options up there but we obviously need to try to get one or two out before we can do that. The only player that I can think of that other clubs may be interested in is Watson. Maybe try to loan him to Hamilton or something?

Guest Back Post Misses
38 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

You could also point out that the bottom two this season are significantly adrift of the rest but we still managed to drop 2 points to Clyde last week which finished our automatic promotion hopes….

And Peterhead drew at EEP. McGlynn shagged your Mrs? 

Guest Back Post Misses
9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Is 8 wins from 17 in league 1 good enough in your view?

No it is not but until we get shot of most of Holt and Sheerin’s shite it is going to be up and down imo and will cut the manager slack till then 

2 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I’m waiting for you to blame the ref and missed chances but ofcourse the blame must lay at McGlynns door. Shouldn’t rely on the ref to beat Airdrie and McGlynn picked the team, 7 of whom he signed. 

Is 8 points in the last 6 acceptable?

Well of course the missed chances cost us because we would have won otherwise. Never read anything so ludicrous. He set us up in a way where we attacked them. He can’t control the players, it’s not fifa.

18 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

No it is not but until we get shot of most of Holt and Sheerin’s shite it is going to be up and down imo and will cut the manager slack till then 

I like McGlynn but this is just nonsense.  Only 3 of the starting 11 yesterday were signed by Holt/Sheerin.  McCann has arguably been one of our better players this season, the other two (McKay and Nesbitt) could have easily been switched out with Yeats and Lawal who both sat on the bench.  This is John McGlynn's team now and he should be held accountable for it.

19 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I agree but he has been given the backing to bring in 12 of his own players and would’ve been well aware of the circumstances when he took the job. There is also no evidence he has actually tried to move on any of the dross. 

I wouldn’t be sacking Mcglynn but equally I don’t think 8 wins from 17 is anywhere near good enough with the backing he’s had.

Our next 4 league games are crucial in my view- more dropped points and we could easily find ourselves outside the playoff spots.

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I agree but he has been given the backing to bring in 12 of his own players and would’ve been well aware of the circumstances when he took the job. There is also no evidence he has actually tried to move on any of the dross. 

I wouldn’t be sacking Mcglynn but equally I don’t think 8 wins from 17 is anywhere near good enough with the backing he’s had.

Our next 4 league games are crucial in my view- more dropped points and we could easily find ourselves outside the playoff spots.

Really hoping that we can get on a decent winning run, not convinced we’ve got players who actually have the leadership qualities, to get us there. Mackie looks like the only guy to take a burn on his arse……..

Guest Back Post Misses
9 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

I like McGlynn but this is just nonsense.  Only 3 of the starting 11 yesterday were signed by Holt/Sheerin.  McCann has arguably been one of our better players this season, the other two (McKay and Nesbitt) could have easily been switched out with Yeats and Lawal who both sat on the bench.  This is John McGlynn's team now and he should be held accountable for it.

It’s not nonsense because he has 13 players filling out a squad. Imagine if he had 7/8 of those filling the squad creating competition for places ? You need to look further than just the starting line up. 

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

It’s not nonsense because he has 13 players filling out a squad. Imagine if he had 7/8 of those filling the squad creating competition for places ? You need to look further than just the starting line up. 

I do feel sorry for the signed players with no future but being held back through the reasonable security of a contract in these times but no other takers in the market. Take the likes of Snedden, Ross, Wilson left clubs where they were playing hoping to step up a level and ended up in limbo that could end their careers

Guest Ecosse83
49 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not a great argument considering those players are keeping Mcglynn’s signings out the starting 11

That said Mcglynn 100% needs time, the club has been a shambles for years and he’s not came through the door with a magic wand. I get the impression they quite don’t know 100% what their best team is yet, if we hit a bit of form for 10 games or so that will see us challenge!