The Falkirk FC Thread

The board sympathisers don't want to hear it but McGlynn is badly underperorming and the table shows it. The football on show may appear slightly better but league position it's just more of the same. Some fans say give him time, I say James fucking McPake is grinding out results at Dunfermline and fair play to them.

Edited by Hartleys18/19Army

Objectively Lee Miller and David McCracken have our best points record so far in league 1 in comparison to games played. Imo it is very poor for John McGlynn to have a worse record with the experience he has and backing he’s been given from the board.

I’m not arguing they were great managers but they went from being voted managers of the month to a fortnight later being out the door as the fans turned on them (largely due to a crazy number of injuries in my opinion). 

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The impression I always had is that bringing in someone with football knowledge above the manager was always part of the plan after Hartley's disastrous summer recruitment of 2018. Particularly as Alex Smith left that summer. 

It was certainly demanded frequently on here, with one poster banging on about "oversight" so frequently it became boring. At the time the only people at BOD level who thought they were football experts were a couple of directors whom most fans considered to be buffoons.

I have no idea why it took a year and a half to find someone. Possibly getting the knockback from Jim Jefferies had something to do with it. There's certainly no doubt that Gary Holt wasn't a success in the role. 

Having someone with football knowledge on the board makes sense but for a small club like ours to pay someone a decent salary in a DOF role made no sense to me. Admittedly I’m not a fan of that structure however to create a £50k role and offer it to a complete novice was ludicrous. 

4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The impression I always had is that bringing in someone with football knowledge above the manager was always part of the plan after Hartley's disastrous summer recruitment of 2018. Particularly as Alex Smith left that summer. 

It was certainly demanded frequently on here, with one poster banging on about "oversight" so frequently it became boring. At the time the only people at BOD level who thought they were football experts were a couple of directors whom most fans considered to be buffoons.

I have no idea why it took a year and a half to find someone. Possibly getting the knockback from Jim Jefferies had something to do with it. There's certainly no doubt that Gary Holt wasn't a success in the role. 

Is that a pop at me? From a guy who considered anyone in a consultancy role to be superfluous………manager, BoD, and that’s it. No better model possible…not ever. What utter guff.

Thankfully this BoD don’t need you churning out your apologist nonsense for them. 

Edited by Duncan Freemason

Yesterday confirmed that we need to somehow make use of the upcoming transfer window. Yes we’re skint yes we’ve players on contracts, but we need two, possibly three players in that can change this mediocre team.If Airdrie had a decent CF we’d be staring at another loss. McGinn Oliver Morrison we’re absolutely brutal. Said weeks ago time had caught up with McGinn, and with Nesbit and Oliver playing along side, teams are playing through us with ease. Thought we looked decent defensively, Mackie giving more of a balance, however we need a better balance in midfield. McCann was good, but another general lack lustre performance, that was supported by some horrendous refereeing.

Guest Brockvillenomore
4 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Miller and McCracken weren’t in charge last season as far as I can recall

I never said they were and that will be clear to even the most partisan and factional of observers. 

Guest Back Post Misses
7 hours ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

The board sympathisers don't want to hear it but McGlynn is badly underperorming and the table shows it. The football on show may appear slightly better but league position it's just more of the same. Some fans say give him time, I say James fucking McPake is grinding out results at Dunfermline and fair play to them.

This is the fans Board no one else’s . The largest shareholders (Patrons and FSS combined) voted 4 of the 5 in. If you want change join the FSS or the Patrons and lobby to have them removed or even better stand yourself and bring about the managerial change you seem to wish. 

Guest Back Post Misses

As far as the game goes you can’t keep missing chances like we did and expect to win. We need a clinical striker, making enough chances. 
Hogarth one save all game in the first 4 minutes shows how little Airdrie actually threatened. The Oliver miss is just unacceptable. 

30 minutes ago, Springfield said:

... McGlynns reaction to being asked about the transfer window. Was it a discreet dig or gesture to the BOD? 

A bit of both. Knows it's difficult for the board just now and the onus is on them to find funds, if possible.  Probably unlikely.

All JM can then do is try and shuffle his pack, whether that be getting deadwood out or choosing to jettison Hogarth, Alegria for others, for instance.

Guest Caractacus Potts
25 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

A bit of both. Knows it's difficult for the board just now and the onus is on them to find funds, if possible.  Probably unlikely.

All JM can then do is try and shuffle his pack, whether that be getting deadwood out or choosing to jettison Hogarth, Alegria for others, for instance.

He knew the job he was in for and received an extra £150k for his budget. Should have been enough to beat a rookie manager at Airdrie, who lost a lot of his best players. 

We need a right back. McKay was woeful in positioning yesterday, almost playing as a right sided CH leaving so much space for their left winger. We also need a hard man in the middle to put a tackle in instead of the powder puff we saw yesterday.

McGinn was really poor yesterday. Either he is carrying an injury or his legs have gone. Was painful to watch him trying to run around the park.  He was our one bright spark in midfield at the start of the season, so I’m not sure what’s gone wrong. 

Have to disagree with BPM re Airdrie not doing much. Hogarth might only have had one save to make, but there were a few that whizzed narrowly past the post. On another day they could have scored 3 or 4. The long ball caught us out so often in the first half.

Finally…..that referee was absolutely atrocious. I need to see the Algeria penalty again as it looked a stonewaller at the time. 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

As far as the game goes you can’t keep missing chances like we did and expect to win. We need a clinical striker, making enough chances. 
Hogarth one save all game in the first 4 minutes shows how little Airdrie actually threatened. The Oliver miss is just unacceptable. 

But that was McGlynn’s fault mind. The fact Airdrie have pumped us several times over the years however our goalkeeper has faced two shots and they’ve got a draw due to our wasteful finishing. Miller and McCracken🤣bottled it against Airdrie to go 10 clear, lost to East Fife in the worst game I think I’ve ever seen live and lost a 7 point margin to take us on the verge of not being in the play offs (holt completed the job) and STILL people mention them on here🤣 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, Tea and Busquets said:

But that was McGlynn’s fault mind. The fact Airdrie have pumped us several times over the years however our goalkeeper has faced two shots and they’ve got a draw due to our wasteful finishing. Miller and McCracken🤣bottled it against Airdrie to go 10 clear, lost to East Fife in the worst game I think I’ve ever seen live and lost a 7 point margin to take us on the verge of not being in the play offs (holt completed the job) and STILL people mention them on here🤣 

I thought we were seeking a manager who could beat Airdrie at home and aspire to gain more points than previous managers? 

Surely at some point McGlynn has to bear some responsibility for our poor form? 

8 points in the last 6 is the exact same number of points Sheerin amassed in his last 6 in charge. 

There have been plenty of comparisons about how much better McGlynn is than previous managers so surely it’s only fair to compare when things haven’t been going so well? 

Oliver and McGuffie are like looking at the same player both rubbish and need dropped totally out the squad. Mackie should keep his place in defence and Henderson ( When Fit ) should move into Midfield. Find a way of getting Ola Algeria and Burrell in the starting 11 and we’ll start winning consistently. 

13 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Sheerin was sacked after 16 games. 

He won 6 in 16 which is 37.5%.

McGlynn has won 8 in 17 and has a 47%.

Made an error with my calculation before so it’s not marginal as first thought but just pointing out that it’s really not an amazing record especially considering McKinnon had 60% and M and M had 67% as a win rate from League One matches. 

It doesn't look great but for me the difference is that McGlynn is having to build up from one of the worst seasons we have had after years of mismanagement, so for me comparing like for like points/win rate etc is too oversimplistic. Especially with 14 of the squad already signed so it's difficult to build from scratch exactly what you want. Also comparing the league tables this season and last, points may not be that different or far off but look at the goal difference. Shows already what kind of improvement there is. 

I will give him a bit more time for that reason and think it's far too early to be against him just yet. Saying that lawal coming on that late in the game is shocking, he had one bad game and Oliver scores against Wick and that is deemed enough to take Lawal's spot? Also Morrison needed off far earlier but bringing McGuffie on as a replacement is just nowhere near an improvement. Desperately hoping for some movement in January with players out as well as in.

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

It doesn't look great but for me the difference is that McGlynn is having to build up from one of the worst seasons we have had after years of mismanagement, so for me comparing like for like points/win rate etc is too oversimplistic. Especially with 14 of the squad already signed so it's difficult to build from scratch exactly what you want. Also comparing the league tables this season and last, points may not be that different or far off but look at the goal difference. Shows already what kind of improvement there is. 

I will give him a bit more time for that reason and think it's far too early to be against him just yet. Saying that lawal coming on that late in the game is shocking, he had one bad game and Oliver scores against Wick and that is deemed enough to take Lawal's spot? Also Morrison needed off far earlier but bringing McGuffie on as a replacement is just nowhere near an improvement. Desperately hoping for some movement in January with players out as well as in.

I get where you’re coming from but at the time we would have been saying the same about McKinnon and Miller and McCracken. They all came in to try turn things on the back of our worst seasons in recent history but weren’t cut much slack. 

Edit: For stats McGlynn has 1.8 goals/game For and 1.17/game Against.

For comparison Sheerin had 1.25 For and 1.43 Against. Before the Queens game it was 1.25 Against. 

Definite improvement from Sheerin but that shouldn’t be hard. On the other hand M and M had 1.75 For and 0.78 Against so really he’s currently trailing behind M and M on GD. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

48 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I thought we were seeking a manager who could beat Airdrie at home and aspire to gain more points than previous managers? 

Surely at some point McGlynn has to bear some responsibility for our poor form? 

8 points in the last 6 is the exact same number of points Sheerin amassed in his last 6 in charge. 

There have been plenty of comparisons about how much better McGlynn is than previous managers so surely it’s only fair to compare when things haven’t been going so well? 

Was it McGlynn’s fault yesterday that we didn’t win ?