The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Absolute rubbish. What more do you want McGlynn to do? One piece of poor defending all game cost us. The chances, he has us playing an attacking style of football which sees us create plenty of chances, what more do you want? Him to come on and score ffs? Doesn’t help when the officials miss at least one blatant penalty. If that game had finished 3/4-1 to us no one could have complained. 

We’ve dropped far too many points overall this season. Mcglynn has been well backed by the board and the results aren’t justifying that at the moment Imo.

Guest Ecosse83

Another frustrating day for us. A few positives though in Mackie and Kennedy. Mackie looks a better option for me now than Henderson! 

There has been improvement but it’s stalled a bit now. Time to be realistic though and remember where we have been the last few seasons! 

Edited by Ecosse83

We’ve dropped far too many points overall this season. Mcglynn has been well backed by the board and the results aren’t justifying that at the moment Imo.

I said the same thing a few weeks ago. We are no longer title contenders and I won’t consider us so unless we overhaul Dunfermline….that could only happen if the Pars collapse so highly doubtful.
Our best hope remains the play offs, but I wouldn’t be confident as we tend to have too many poor performances amongst the good.
Three wins in our last eight league games, not quite enough for the title sadly but I expect us to make the playoffs…..

What game was Mcglynn watching today? Sounds a bit delusional in that post match interview [emoji2357]
He’s the best manager we have had since Houstie. However I’m beginning to think we have stretched his capability to the limit and making us better still (which we need to be to go up automatically), may just be a step beyond him.
However some of his substitutions baffle me, and probably also cost us vital points…..

Guest Caractacus Potts
31 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

He’s the best manager we have had since Houstie. However I’m beginning to think we have stretched his capability to the limit and making us better still (which we need to be to go up automatically), may just be a step beyond him.
However some of his substitutions baffle me, and probably also cost us vital points…..

Not sure how to quantify that as Miller and McCracken had better results over the same amount of matches. Not saying they’re great managers or McGlynn is poor but still has a lot to prove in being a good Falkirk manager. His win rate in the league is only marginally better than Sheerin’s. 

Guest Brockvillenomore
12 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Not sure how to quantify that as Miller and McCracken had better results over the same amount of matches. Not saying they’re great managers or McGlynn is poor but still has a lot to prove in being a good Falkirk manager. His win rate in the league is only marginally better than Sheerin’s. 

This was the table after 17 games last season. 

55BB5C39-D523-42AF-B4D0-0F88F4E06890.jpeg

Guest Caractacus Potts
17 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

This was the table after 17 games last season. 

55BB5C39-D523-42AF-B4D0-0F88F4E06890.jpeg

Sheerin was sacked after 16 games. 

He won 6 in 16 which is 37.5%.

McGlynn has won 8 in 17 and has a 47%.

Made an error with my calculation before so it’s not marginal as first thought but just pointing out that it’s really not an amazing record especially considering McKinnon had 60% and M and M had 67% as a win rate from League One matches. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Always thought the abuse they got on here was mostly unwarranted and had more than a few run ins on here as a result. We could have gone up that first season had it not been for COVID.
They certainly were not helped when they had a few poor results the following season and I suspect severely undermined when Holt arrived which destroyed their credibility……

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Always thought the abuse they got on here was mostly unwarranted. We could have gone up that first season had it not been for COVID.
They certainly were not helped when they had a few poor results the following season and I suspect severely undermined when Holt arrived which destroyed their credibility……

Yeh bringing in Holt was an absolute disaster of a move. I think the wheels were starting to come off from M and M but couldn’t understand the logic in bringing in Holt while they were still there. Terrible decision amongst many by the last board. 

2 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

Another frustrating day for us. A few positives though in Mackie and Kennedy. Mackie looks a better option for me now than Henderson! 

There has been improvement but it’s stalled a bit now. Time to be realistic though and remember where we have been the last few seasons! 

Promotion is a must this season, failure not an option unfortunately.  

Guest Brockvillenomore
17 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Sheerin was sacked after 16 games. 

He won 6 in 16 which is 37.5%.

McGlynn has won 8 in 17 and has a 47%.

Made an error with my calculation before so it’s not marginal as first thought but just pointing out that it’s really not an amazing record especially considering McKinnon had 60% and M and M had 67% as a win rate from League One matches. 

I wanted to give John’s full league record. 
There is an improvement across the board with last season, but I agree it doesn’t compare with a Declan McManus inspired 19/20 season when he scored 24 goals across all competitions over a season cut short because of COVID. 

He needs time and another two windows, IMHO. 

McGlynn has steadied the ship, but I’m not convinced he has what it takes to make us outstanding.

Nesbitt can’t tackle a fish supper and McGinn was woeful today as he has been for the last few weeks. No idea why Ola wasn’t started. 

The only positive thing is that the teams around us are just as bad and it could all go the wire.

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Yeh bringing in Holt was an absolute disaster of a move. I think the wheels were starting to come off from M and M but couldn’t understand the logic in bringing in Holt while they were still there. Terrible decision amongst many by the last board. 

The impression I always had is that bringing in someone with football knowledge above the manager was always part of the plan after Hartley's disastrous summer recruitment of 2018. Particularly as Alex Smith left that summer. 

It was certainly demanded frequently on here, with one poster banging on about "oversight" so frequently it became boring. At the time the only people at BOD level who thought they were football experts were a couple of directors whom most fans considered to be buffoons.

I have no idea why it took a year and a half to find someone. Possibly getting the knockback from Jim Jefferies had something to do with it. There's certainly no doubt that Gary Holt wasn't a success in the role. 

A couple of posts saying McGinn was poor today.

Certainly at fault at the Airdrie goal but that apart I thought that he had his best game for several weeks.

Particularly effective in the first half, though it could be that age is beginning to catch up with him as he fell away later on, perhaps he was maybe just knackered after carrying Oliver and Nesbit.

We would definitely be poorer without him

Edited by Reggie Perrin