The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Your comment is far too over simplistic.

The size of the crowd is not directly related to players wages. Unfortunately we are currently being shafted by our local council with respect to costs of the stadium which is a huge burden on the club. A situation that directly falls on the incompetence of previous Board directors in agreeing a short term fix and selling the family silver.

if it weren’t for these onerous overhead costs, then your comments may have some merit.

Quoted this as I was just about to say the same.

Dunning's points are all fair, but completely miss the fact we are saddled with enormous overheads before we take in a penny.

It's a common error among fans of other clubs commenting. Understandable, though.

50 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's been discussed before. Obviously, these days you can support from abroad, by streaming, making donations, buying stuff and investing.

But they still weighed up the options and moved away, choosing not to go to games. That's not wrong, but it is a choice made in freewill.

This is too subtle a bait and simply will not get the rises it deserves. A real veteran at work. 

51 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Quoted this as I was just about to say the same.

Dunning's points are all fair, but completely miss the fact we are saddled with enormous overheads before we take in a penny.

It's a common error among fans of other clubs commenting. Understandable, though.

Agreed Ranaldo. This (not owning our stadium and the Council connection) is the biggest issue with the club and won't go away. Its my biggest issue with the future as well as the present of the club. Once survival is secured we need a long term plan to get the stadium back in Falkirk FC ownership. The councils have never needed money more than they do now (as do we!)

16 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Agreed Ranaldo. This (not owning our stadium and the Council connection) is the biggest issue with the club and won't go away. Its my biggest issue with the future as well as the present of the club. Once survival is secured we need a long term plan to get the stadium back in Falkirk FC ownership. The councils have never needed money more than they do now (as do we!)

I know it’s all a long way off and we don’t need the capacity but the best option might actually be building something on the east side we can use fully in our own right, we could then at no cost in theory only use the seats, changing rooms and kiosks in the main stand and not have to pay the council for use of the offices/boardroom/function rooms/catering facilities ect.  Main stand would be a big white elephant inside but that’s the councils problem, not being able to generate funds by utilising the facilities in that stand is a pretty decent funding stream we miss out on. The new deal the previous regime signed off on that changed the ownership structure of the stadium and in particular the main stand has been a massive hinderance to the club. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

16 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I know it’s all a long way off and we don’t need the capacity but the best option might actually be building something on the east side we can use fully in our own right, we could then at no cost in theory only use the seats, changing rooms and kiosks in the main stand and not have to pay the council for use of the offices/boardroom/function rooms/catering facilities ect.  Main stand would be a big white elephant inside but that’s the councils problem, not being able to generate funds by utilising the facilities in that stand is a pretty decent funding stream we miss out on. The new deal the previous regime signed off on that changed the ownership structure of the stadium and in particular the main stand has been a massive hinderance to the club. 

Think it was the previous previous regime or even the previous previous previous regime to be honest.

Clearly the stadium deal is far from ideal. However, we were able to make the resources available to support two 7th place finishes in the SPL under the same circumstances, including a football budget that would be equivalent to over £4 million now.

So to say a stadium deal agreed 20 years ago is the reason for our current issues is disingenuous in my view.

20 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Clearly the stadium deal is far from ideal. However, we were able to make the resources available to support two 7th place finishes in the SPL under the same circumstances, including a football budget that would be equivalent to over £4 million now.

So to say a stadium deal agreed 20 years ago is the reason for our current issues is disingenuous in my view.

Who said the stadium was the reason for our current issues? It’s just one issue amongst many that have been created over the last 10 years or so. The deal that was agreed 20 years ago is not the deal we currently have so your wrong there, when we were in the premier league making said mid table finishes we owned 51% of the stadium company. That deal was ripped up in order to write of debt the company had with the club coming of far worse than the council did leaving us with the council basically taking full ownership of all the facilities within the main stand, facilities the club have to now pay a fee to use. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

9 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I started watching Falkirk in 1969, just as I started high school. My pocket money and money I earned from my paper round took me to watch the Bairns, home and away, whenever I could afford it. I even managed to talk my parents into letting me miss school to go down to Coventry for the Texaco Cup game.

Once I left school and started working I continued to follow the Bairns all over Scotland, car sharing with friends, midweek games up in Aberdeen etc. I was once able to boast that I had been to every ground in Scotland but with some clubs getting new stadiums and the likes of Annan coming into the league it means that I can no longer make that claim.

My job took me down south in the late 80s but I still traveled up regularly, either on my own or with some of my new friends, both home and away. Games against the likes of Motherwell, Hamilton, the Arse Cheeks and the Edinburgh clubs were actually easier for me to visit than Brockville. So, I continued to follow the Bairns in person for the next 20 years until another job took me overseas in 2009.

So, for 40 years, from 1969 to 2009 I’ve watch my club in the flesh as much as possible, the Scottish Cup Finals in 1997 and 2009, all the Challenge Cup Finals etc. Whenever I am home on holiday I always take in a game or 3, home and away.

Don’t you dare lecture me on my lack of support for the club, your 10 years of support is f*ck all.

Pr*ck!

10 years is a good length of support. My claim was over the last 10 years, but I myself have been going since the 70s.

I understand if your job takes you elsewhere, and that your love of FFC comes second to that.

I have turned down large contracts from abroad, but hey we are all different.

Enjoy your sunny weather, and I will enjoy ploughing my earnings and travelling to support the Bairns

42 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Who said the stadium was the reason for our current issues? It’s just one issue amongst many that have been created over the last 10 years or so. The deal that was agreed 20 years ago is not the deal we currently have so your wrong there, when we were in the premier league making said mid table finishes we owned 51% of the stadium company. That deal was ripped up in order to write of debt the company had with the club coming of far worse than the council did leaving us with the council basically taking full ownership of all the facilities within the main stand, facilities the club have to now pay a fee to use. 

This. There have been a raft of poor decisions in the past ten years or so that have taken us to our current position, however, owning our own club from top to bottom imo is the single biggest long term thing that needs addressed. It's been well documented how well the likes of st Johnstone do income wise from their stadium in a provincial town with good transport connections. We are very similar and potentially larger if done right. 

The academy is the other thing that as soon as it gets back to where it was the better. Appreciate strides are being made here.

Build these two foundations and everything else will come.

Dear P&B,

After the death of my wife, her funeral clashed with an evening game in Airdrie. I asked my daughter to represent me at the funeral. This caused me no end of grief, and I was effectively shunned by my family.

Now it seems that I am not a real fan either because I didn’t attend an away game in Peterhead as my daughter (who was back from New Zealand for 5 days) wanted me to go to Mull with her to scatter my wife’s ashes.

I just can’t win. It’s a tough life being an unvalidated FFC fan.

3 hours ago, Zbairn said:

incompetence of previous Board directors in agreeing a short term fix and selling the family silver.

You wouldn't see the current Falkirk board selling of future income for a short term fix that's for sure! 

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That's my step sorted. Or rather, my kids step. Hopefully this makes me a real fan.

Anyone know how many steps are in the #KM7?

Dunno but apparently they've split it into levels. Where I wanted mine around Row N is in the 4th level and they're still selling steps in the 3rd level so I think they must be selling fast. 

To be honest, £50 for 5 years is cheap. Maybe do it per season?

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Has anyone got factual information on the stadium deal. Shafted is commonly used on here, be good to know what we actually contribute?

It’s predominantly the main stand that’s the issue, the club only own the pitch and external part (the seated bit). We have use of the changing rooms ect but all the cash generating facilities within the stand I.e. office space, catering facilities, corporate boxes, function lounges ect the council own and run so we now need to pay them a service charge every time we use these facilities. The north stand is the clubs and SA ownes the south stand which he rents back to the club. I’ve no idea how much these council service charges actually are for the main stand but have heard repeatedly over the years it costs us a significant amount. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.