The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

If the rumours are correct, no attempt was made to shift them as Mcglynn thought it would damage squad harmony.

If you managed any Championship, League 1 or League 2 side would you sign any of them, or take them on loan ?  We are unfortunately saddled with them until they are out of contract. You couldn’t give them away in a raffle. 

You would have been lucky if any club would have been prepared to pay 30% of their Falkirk wages.

44 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I don’t think the FSS membership is disappointing. The scheme is mere months old. Having been involved with other similar schemes at amateur sports clubs (50/50 clubs etc), it takes years to build these up.
Ideally you want a load of people getting a tenner taken out of their account every month and basically not noticing - that takes time, and to me we are well on track. If in 5 years we’re only at 1000 I’d be a tad disappointed.

That’s why I was pretty angry with the shouts of “it’s failed, we’ll have to pursue a different avenue” 

I agree, I think the numbers so far have been ok and the society is being well ran by good people however the numbers could be better when comparing to other clubs of similar size. I do think with time and effort we will get closer to the 2000 figure I think a club of our size should be looking at for a credible fan ownership/supporter society, the need for quick cash has frustrated some fans who have been trying to push the FSS. I’m sure given time it will grow organically to the levels needed it would just be nice if we could get there quickly for the clubs sake! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just noticed my second year subscription to FSS came out the bank this week, so hopefully be the same for more annual contributors around this time and the contributions will be higher next month. FSS need to make sure the annual contributors keep contributing given the initial two year commitment has ended. 

Edited by NUMBER 7

And of those clubs to which you refer, at least two of them would have long since been counting home attendances in the low three figure bracket if their support had had to put up with a fraction of the garbage served up on the park and the never ending horrendous mismanagement off it that we have had inflicted upon us. The continued backing of the Falkirk support for more than a decade of this nonsense has been absolutely ridiculous really. In that context , comparisons with other clubs, especially some of those you are probably thinking of, are completely redundant. There is no comparison.
Yeah, something to think about when any questions about fans putting their money into club comes up....

The FSS governship is not standing still, and were recently the guests of Foundation of Hearts at Tynecastle for discussions with both the FoH Board and Anne Budge.

FoH have been established since before the the Hearts financial meltdown and were of course, a key part of their resurrection (and their new stand). They put £120k a month into the club…..just incredible.

They are easily “best in class”, and are now open to helping FSS on an ongoing basis. While we could never match FoH in terms of cash raised, when you scale everything down to FFC numbers, it has shown that there is still significant opportunities for FSS to grow. Even reaching 10% of the FoH numbers is a great stretch target for FSS. FoH have 9,000 members (give or take).

9 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I live on the other side of the world and I know that the club is in dire straits so I’ve signed up to the FSS. How the f*ck can fans who live and work in the Falkirk area not know that we’re up shit creek without a paddle? What will it take for them to commit a decent wedge in reasonable numbers; a front page advert/plea in the Falkirk Herald? McGlynn, Smith and the Board standing in the centre circle at half time pleading their case for more help from the fans? We pride ourselves on being the best and most loyal of fans – our current situation and lack of support from the fan base suggests otherwise.

Re: the 600+ fans who have signed up to the FSS, and without knowing their personal financial situations, if everyone of us pledged £500 to some sort of fighting fund, that would make a big £300k dent in our £400k black hole.

I’ll pony up a monkey, anybody else? (if the missus finds out she’ll go fecking Tonto but what the hell).

And before anyone has a go, I’m not trying to be some sort of “I’m a better fan than you”, I’m only trying to help my club. And anyway, my 500 quid would be chickenfeed compared to what some P&B posters have done previously for the club.

I hope enjoy your life on the other side of the world. You certainly are not better. There are loads of us locally who do lots for the club, travel home and away, breath FFC. You enjoy your Melbourne fc or whoever you go to watch. A true Falkirk supporter will travel to Wick for an early Scottish Cup game, or Peterhead on a cold Tuesday night. Don't embarrass yourself by saying what is real supporters should do. Send over £25k to the club and you'll be close to my ten year expenditure supporting the club and every other supporter who travels home and away.

You my friend are a stayaway fan, and not a supporter

2 hours ago, Bairnschild said:

I hope enjoy your life on the other side of the world. You certainly are not better. There are loads of us locally who do lots for the club, travel home and away, breath FFC. You enjoy your Melbourne fc or whoever you go to watch. A true Falkirk supporter will travel to Wick for an early Scottish Cup game, or Peterhead on a cold Tuesday night. Don't embarrass yourself by saying what is real supporters should do. Send over £25k to the club and you'll be close to my ten year expenditure supporting the club and every other supporter who travels home and away.

I started watching Falkirk in 1969, just as I started high school. My pocket money and money I earned from my paper round took me to watch the Bairns, home and away, whenever I could afford it. I even managed to talk my parents into letting me miss school to go down to Coventry for the Texaco Cup game.

Once I left school and started working I continued to follow the Bairns all over Scotland, car sharing with friends, midweek games up in Aberdeen etc. I was once able to boast that I had been to every ground in Scotland but with some clubs getting new stadiums and the likes of Annan coming into the league it means that I can no longer make that claim.

My job took me down south in the late 80s but I still traveled up regularly, either on my own or with some of my new friends, both home and away. Games against the likes of Motherwell, Hamilton, the Arse Cheeks and the Edinburgh clubs were actually easier for me to visit than Brockville. So, I continued to follow the Bairns in person for the next 20 years until another job took me overseas in 2009.

So, for 40 years, from 1969 to 2009 I’ve watch my club in the flesh as much as possible, the Scottish Cup Finals in 1997 and 2009, all the Challenge Cup Finals etc. Whenever I am home on holiday I always take in a game or 3, home and away.

Don’t you dare lecture me on my lack of support for the club, your 10 years of support is f*ck all.

Pr*ck!

Edited by Bairn in Exile

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I started watching Falkirk in 1969, just as I started high school. My pocket money and money I earned from my paper round took me to watch the Bairns, home and away, whenever I could afford it. I even managed to talk my parents into letting me miss school to go down to Coventry for the Texaco Cup game.

Once I left school and started working I continued to follow the Bairns all over Scotland, car sharing with friends, midweek games up in Aberdeen etc. I was once able to boast that I had been to every ground in Scotland but with some clubs getting new stadiums and the likes of Annan coming into the league it means that I can no longer make that claim.

My job took me down south in the late 80s but I still traveled up regularly, either on my own or with some of my new friends, both home and away. Games against the likes of Motherwell, Hamilton, the Arse Cheeks and the Edinburgh clubs were actually easier for me to visit than Brockville. So, I continued to follow the Bairns in person for the next 20 years until another job took me overseas in 2009.

So, for 40 years, from 1969 to 2009 I’ve watch my club in the flesh as much as possible, the Scottish Cup Finals in 1997 and 2009, all the Challenge Cup Finals etc. Whenever I am home on holiday I always take in a game or 3, home and away.

Don’t you dare lecture me on my lack of support for the club, your 10 years of support is f*ck all.

Pr*ck!

I thought his comment was tongue in cheek initially. 

If not, then that is a wild take.

12 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

If the rumours are correct, no attempt was made to shift them as Mcglynn thought it would damage squad harmony.

Yet he was quite happy to let telfer, who had just won player of the year, go as his contract was up, but thought na I will keep Ross, Wilson, hetherington as those guys play such a big part in squad harmony..... Pish

Also all of this 'im a bigger fan than you' bollocks is cringe. None of us should have to seek validation in supporting our team.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is there any genuine chance you lot end up part time/hybrid if you fail to get promoted this season?

Feels unlikely any club can sustain 3/4 years of full time football outwith the top 2 tiers due to the prize money/gates involved.

That's the thing, on the face of it there's no reason Falkirk shouldn't be able to pay decent full-time wages, even accounting for years of receiving considerably less prize money than other full-time sides: the larger income at the gate should more than bridge that gap. The only reason a club averaging 3000+ can't break even in League One is through choice, gross incompetence or both.

There's often a logic given to full-time teams in League One that losses are inevitable and just getting over the line to promotion one year will fix it all with increased prize money, but this also ignores that building a credible promotion winning League One squad shouldn't need top end Championship/lower end Premiership wages to be thrown around. Obviously Falkirk could actually afford to pay more than several Championship clubs within their means, but regardless of which board, managers or Directors of Football are to blame they've  somehow managed to launch such stupid money around to run at a substantial loss without even a playoff place to show for it.

To some extent you can see how a club ends up in that position, as convincing players with Championship offers to drop to League One is pretty much always going to require a financial incentive. If you're Aidan Nesbitt or Stephen McGinn and you have a couple of Championship contracts on the table, it's going to take a significantly better offer financially to convince you to drop to League One instead. There's one of the problems: some of the players they've gone and paid a premium for to beat Championship sides to signings are mediocrities anyway. If you're throwing good Championship money around - which to some extent Falkirk could afford to do - in League One the players getting it need to be tearing the league apart, and too many of them haven't.

Then there's the other kind of player where they're just spending more money than they need to for the sake of it. Craig McGuffie gets released by Morton and has no full-time clubs other than Falkirk interested. This isn't a McGinn or Nesbitt scenario where a good offer is needed to make League One more appealing, no one in the Championship wants him and Falkirk are his last chance saloon in full-time football. He gets an increase on what he was earning in the Championship anyway, money which either didn't need to be spent or could have been used to attract a higher calibre of player that Championship clubs actually want. It's hardly on the same level as Rangers telling Kevin Kyle to name his price, but it's still needless, reckless spending.

Any club getting those crowds could break even and sustain full-time football, just not full-time wages that are higher than some Premiership clubs as they do now. Whether being full-time rather than hybrid is actually a model which attracts the best squad possible when you'd also have the financial clout to cherry pick the best part-timers is another issue.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Correct. Anyone wanting to dole out lectures on what makes a good fan is having an absolute laugh.

It's been discussed before. Obviously, these days you can support from abroad, by streaming, making donations, buying stuff and investing.

But they still weighed up the options and moved away, choosing not to go to games. That's not wrong, but it is a choice made in freewill.

It's been discussed before. Obviously, these days you can support from abroad, by streaming, making donations, buying stuff and investing.
But they still weighed up the options and moved away, choosing not to go to games. That's not wrong, but it is a choice made in freewill.
With respect sarge.... Haven't you got people to bait in Ukranian War thread?

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

With respect sarge.... Haven't you got people to bait in Ukranian War thread?

I start at 9.00.

9 hours ago, Bairnschild said:

This is the biggest piece of drivel I have seen here in a long time.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

That's the thing, on the face of it there's no reason Falkirk shouldn't be able to pay decent full-time wages, even accounting for years of receiving considerably less prize money than other full-time sides: the larger income at the gate should more than bridge that gap. The only reason a club averaging 3000+ can't break even in League One is through choice, gross incompetence or both.

Your comment is far too over simplistic.

The size of the crowd is not directly related to players wages. Unfortunately we are currently being shafted by our local council with respect to costs of the stadium which is a huge burden on the club. A situation that directly falls on the incompetence of previous Board directors in agreeing a short term fix and selling the family silver.

if it weren’t for these onerous overhead costs, then your comments may have some merit.

Never liked this I am a real fan because...argument....

Every household has different things going on in their life, whether that be family, illness, jobs, studying, location, differing financial priorities to name but a few.

I have a friend who isn't really into football, lives in Sydney but has been to a couple of Falkirk games with me over the years. He calls himself a Falkirk fan, he doesn't put much if any money into the club but he looks for our result before anyone else's and if in the country would come to our game before the Old Firm or anyone else's. 

In the 40 or so years I've been going to games, some seasons I've gone home and away to about 50 games and other seasons I have been to 1 or 2 games. In my opinion I have always tried to be decent to people who try and go to Falkirk games, no matter how many games they go to or how or how they don't contribute. The important thing is that we should be inclusive with people who want to support our club before any other club. It's how you will encourage them to engage in future, get their friends and family to engage. Just because someone can't make games now because of where they live, their health, or their financial position doesn't mean they don't love the club and won't come back to games in the future (or contribute financially).

Edited by bridge of allan bairn