The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

4bUV7Ls.gif.7a4a5cb13e43f8e4ddd14c69ec810ab3.gif

This one is unaware of Rennie Abel McLaughlin Markie Miller Gibson Hoggan Roxburgh Ferguson Shirra and Young how sad.

That team inspired a generation of fans and a standard every player and team since has been compared to. To give you an idea how good they were in 50 years since there are only about 5 - 6 players who would get in the squad.

You have to feel sorry for them

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Oh for a George Miller!

Low side foot drive to the left aimed just in from the rear stansion going in 2ft in from the post ball never over 1ft above the ground.

It was just taken if we got a penalty it was a goal and the opposition had the same mindset superb footballer.

I think I'm right in saying that he only missed one, against Dundee United I think, when he slipped as he hit it. 

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

This one is unaware of Rennie Abel McLaughlin Markie Miller Gibson Hoggan Roxburgh Ferguson Shirra and Young how sad.

That team inspired a generation of fans and a standard every player and team since has been compared to. To give you an idea how good they were in 50 years since there are only about 5 - 6 players who would get in the squad.

And yet between 1968 and 1975 we only managed to finish in the top half of Div 1 once (in 7th) and were relegated twice.   Even Yogi teams managed to finish in the top 7 twice 👀

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

16 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Because the chances of him being on the pitch when we get a penalty are slim(ish) so there's every chance we would need a back up anyway. Morrison takes our penalties and he's not been overly successful at them. 

If the three that I mentioned are shite penalty takers then you'd be right but all three are some of the better passers of a ball in the squad so I just don't see that being the case.

If your best penalty taker is on the pitch then he takes the penalty - simple as that.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

If your best penalty taker is on the pitch then he takes the penalty - simple as that.  

If Morrison had been on the pitch he would have taken it so, if he's our best penalty taker, then we're just not very good at penalties.

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

If Morrison had been on the pitch he would have taken it so, if he's our best penalty taker, then we're just not very good at penalties.

Was it not just the case that Oliver won the penalty so wanted to take it, and given we were 3 0 up already it wasn't contested? 

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

And yet between 1968 and 1975 we only managed to finish in the top half of Div 1 once (in 7th) and were relegated twice.   Even Yogi teams managed to finish in the top 7 twice 👀

From the players he mentions, IMO Rennie, Abel & Young were average, Roxburgh above average but McLaughlin, Markie, Miller, Gibson, Hoggan and Shirra were fantastic players. Ferguson wasn't a great footballer but his goal scoring record is fantastic. He certainly knew where the goal was.

8 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Was it not just the case that Oliver won the penalty so wanted to take it, and given we were 3 0 up already it wasn't contested? 

Aye, could well be the case. I'm more thinking of future games. I think every team should have a designated penalty taker who's likely to be on the pitch when it's awarded. Assuming they're good at penalties of course.

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

From the players he mentions, IMO Rennie, Abel & Young were average, Roxburgh above average but McLaughlin, Markie, Miller, Gibson, Hoggan and Shirra were fantastic players. Ferguson wasn't a great footballer but his goal scoring record is fantastic. He certainly knew where the goal was.

Spot on but as a team they were something special. Fergie also had the knack of winding up every opposition player on the park, he was sneaky bugger.

They would be in the top 6 in the present Scottish premier league no problem. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, could well be the case. I'm more thinking of future games. I think every team should have a designated penalty taker who's likely to be on the pitch when it's awarded. Assuming they're good at penalties of course.

I know it’s 17th century football, but as a wee kid, Doug Baillie was an intimidating penalty taker. I remember my Dad telling me of a conversation he had with big Doug regarding his penalty taking technique. Basically, Doug said “I take a big run up, and I am aiming to take the keeper’s head off his shoulders, so his head is what I aim for, and I just batter it. If I miss him, then the ball is in the back of the net. It’s as simple as that.”

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

But surely if your best penalty taker is on the pitch when a penalty is awarded, it makes sense for them to take it?

Let’s say under your argument Coll Donaldson is appointed ‘designated penalty taker’ but Gary Oliver (who I personally wouldn’t have starting) never misses a penalty. 

In a scenario where Oliver comes on as a sub and we get a penalty, why would we not want our best penalty taker taking penalties?

18 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

But surely if your best penalty taker is on the pitch when a penalty is awarded, it makes sense for them to take it?

Let’s say under your argument Coll Donaldson is appointed ‘designated penalty taker’ but Gary Oliver (who I personally wouldn’t have starting) never misses a penalty. 

In a scenario where Oliver comes on as a sub and we get a penalty, why would we not want our best penalty taker taking penalties?

Oh aye, I'm not arguing with that at all. If Oliver (or whoever else) is clearly our best penalty taker then he should be taking the penalties if he's playing. If he's clearly better than anyone else.

He's unlikely to be a starter once we get a settled eleven (if ever) so I think we need someone, who we know is going to start, to take the responsibility.

I wouldn't want a scenario where we get a penalty and the players don't know who's going to be taking it. At the moment Morrison is the go to guy but I don't think his record merits him being the obvious choice. That's why I think it should be one of the three that I mentioned, unless they are clearly pish at penalties, which I don't think would be the case. I remember thinking when we got a penalty and Muirhead was on the pitch it was almost a guaranteed goal.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Was there not an early 20th century PK taker we had where when we were awarded one, the captain would whistle and the full back (for it was he) used to run up from the half way line and smash it in?

Or am I going mad?

My first game was 1968 so before my time.

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Was there not an early 20th century PK taker we had where when we were awarded one, the captain would whistle and the full back (for it was he) used to run up from the half way line and smash it in?

Or am I going mad?

Doug Baillie was a centre half. There was another guy that my Dad spoke about (pre-war or even earlier) that my old man said took a big run up and battered it. When he missed at the Hope St end, the ball tended to end up on the far side of the railway tracks. Jocky Simpson(?). Something like that. I think it may be the case that he was before my Dad’s time.

Edited by Duncan Freemason