The Falkirk FC Thread

27 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I very much doubt you'll see us going anywhere in this league and putting ten men behind the ball no matter who we're playing it's just not mcglynns way of playing.   I'm quite happy to see us starting every game trying to roll the opposition over with attacking football my concern is more about game management. If it isn't working then don't just swap like for like which mcginn is far too keen on doing at times.  Against Dunfermline it was crying out for ola to come on then on Saturday we really needed hetherington or yeats brought on in the middle. To allow mcginn and Ola to play.  Subs can be poor and take too long but I could probably say that about a load of managers we've had.

My concern is mainly down to the way the manager can make five substitutions without altering the formation of the team.

A bit more flexibility needed imo.

4 hours ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Listened to the podcast earlier. The conclusions by the podcast guys at the end was about right. Plan A sounds great but is it achievabl?And although theres a loose plan B theres not allot of answers around it.

The directors speaking tried to show a balance of "this is pretty important" but also "dont panic". I'm wondering if it would make fans react more if they did call it out as pretty bleak and the doors will shut(if that is the case). They did call out cash reserves were finished if it wasnt for the Vaulks money 3 years ago, then then the covid grant(might have been something else in there). The drop in income continuing into last season from 2.2m to 1.3(even with crowds back) must be a worry. And they are gambing on the income to go back to pre covid levels while still increasing the playing budget this season on top of it.

Whats pretty clear is running a full time club at this level isnt sustainable season after season.

Some chat about some shareholder called Rawlins walking away due to an incident in a hotel. Was that the q/a with the fans that was videoed and made available that turned into a car crash? Also is he majority shareholder?

The stadium thing seems weird too. The club own the pitch, council the main stand(with dressing rooms etc) and a falkirk fan owns one of the stands. Btw who owns the away stand?

Personally one of the biggest things I took away from that podcast was how damaging the loss of Kieran Koszary (our previous commercial director) was in terms of loss of income.

Some of his ideas weren’t the most popular but to me almost anything is worth it to make more resources available for the first team. 

It was absolutely scandalous in my view for the previous board to give such an important role to a fan favourite with no sales experience at all.

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally one of the biggest things I took away from that podcast was how damaging the loss of Kieran Koszary (our previous commercial director) was in terms of loss of income.

Some of his ideas weren’t the most popular but to me almost anything is worth it to make more resources available for the first team. 

It was absolutely scandalous in my view for the previous board to give such an important role to a fan favourite with no sales experience at all.

Was it no him that didn't bother removing advertising boards long after the company had stopped paying for them though?  That and the jersey sponsor cockup said to me it was the right time for him to move on. Replacing him with Sammy though was definitely a major error though .

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy

I know Pars own Falkirk on the pitch, but is it true Falkirk own the pitch and the Council own the stands?, if that's indeed true, it's utter madness. 

20 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The Commercial Dept was left in a state of chaos after the departure of Koszsry due entirely to his unprofessional methods.

He was no loss to the club.

edit. Clearly a nonsense giving the role to McGivern who had zero commercial experience, very unfair on the man.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

24 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Was it no him that didn't bother removing advertising boards long after the company had stopped paying for them though?  That and the jersey sponsor cockup said to me it was the right time for him to move on. Replacing him with Sammy though was definitely a major error though .

My understanding is that a good number of the companies with advertising boards were providing other services to the club in return, so it wasn’t a case of them not paying.

14 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The Commercial Dept was left in a state of chaos after the departure of Koszsry due entirely to his unprofessional methods.

He was no loss to the club.

edit. Clearly a nonsense giving the role to McGivern who had zero commercial experience, very unfair on the man.

Yep- unprofessional methods like bringing in millions of pounds of commercial revenue to the club. 

No loss to the club my arse. 

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Things went downhill when AT left he was far more important if you ask me. 

AT had his own group of sponsors which had been built up and relationships grown over a number of years.

KK was all about the quick sale and to hell with any record keeping or relationship building.

Any competent and driven commercially trained manager would have successfully carried out the role and implemented the use of a CRM system.

Basic stuff.

20 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

AT had his own group of sponsors which had been built up and relationships grown over a number of years.

KK was all about the quick sale and to hell with any record keeping or relationship building.

Any competent and driven commercially trained manager would have successfully carried out the role and implemented the use of a CRM system.

Basic stuff.

I'm not going to comment on who's good or bad at their jobs, because I know all the current and previous commercial staff and have no issues with any of them. I don't want to take sides.

As for their individual competence, I'd suggest it depends on what measure you use. Stories about their alleged strengths or weaknesses posted on an anonymous online forum don't really count for me.  I'd say there is only one measure that matters - the annual commercial income as reported each year at the AGM. 

I suspect the figures before, during and after KKs tenure would be illuminating but as I don't have them to hand I'd be interested to read them if you or anyone else can supply.  

10 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'm not going to comment on who's good or bad at their jobs, because I know all the current and previous commercial staff and have no issues with any of them. I don't want to take sides.

As for their individual competence, I'd suggest it depends on what measure you use. Stories about their alleged strengths or weaknesses posted on an anonymous online forum don't really count for me.  I'd say there is only one measure that matters - the annual commercial income as reported each year at the AGM. 

I suspect the figures before, during and after KKs tenure would be illuminating but as I don't have them to hand I'd be interested to read them if you or anyone else can supply.  

Reasonable post.

For once I am actually ITK but probably have said too much already so I will drop the subject and bite my tongue  if there are any more revisionist posts.

I’ve had dealings with most of the Commercial Managers since 1996, all easy enough to talk to, possibly as they were generally wanting something from me. However after a meeting with KK when he was co-opted onto the board he said Mark Campbell was the “Real Deal” and what the club needed. This after I’d seen Mark Campbell once in behind the goals the previous Saturday looking like a gypo, I realised we had folk on the board talking out their arse.

7 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I actually think that they may have more trouble at home because they'll play a more expansive game and teams will be set up to play against that and hit them on the break. I don't think they'll lose many games at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost more at home than away.

Obviously you don’t watch us every week,  but your goal against us is the only counter attack goal we’ve conceded all season.  The games we play more expansively tend to be based on opponents rather than home or away.   We went to peterhead with the wings backs high, no defensive DM and even our wide center backs bringing the ball high up. Indeed our 2nd was an assist from fisher.  

Whilst we always base ourselves on being defensively strong there is clear changes week to week.   it’s far too simplistic to split it to home or away, I’m not even sure mcpake considers it.

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Obviously you don’t watch us every week,  but your goal against us is the only counter attack goal we’ve conceded all season.  The games we play more expansively tend to be based on opponents rather than home or away.   We went to peterhead with the wings backs high, no defensive DM and even our wide center backs bringing the ball high up. Indeed our 2nd was an assist from fisher.  

Whilst we always base ourselves on being defensively strong there is clear changes week to week.   it’s far too simplistic to split it to home or away, I’m not even sure mcpake considers it.

Fair enough. You'll know better than me as I assume you see them every week.

6 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Reasonable post.

For once I am actually ITK but probably have said too much already so I will drop the subject and bite my tongue  if there are any more revisionist posts.

From what I was told when  KK left, your posts are spot on. 
The decision to appoint Sammy was just stupid, no sales/commercial awareness but believe is was carried out to get some unity with the support. A decision Deans and co got horribly wrong. 

Tommy Hutchison 

Former Alloa, Blackpool, Coventry, Man City, Burnley, Swansea and Scotland player Tommy Hutchison will be at Recreation Park for the game against Alloa.

It will be the first time he has been back to Alloa for 50 years. He will be meeting fans, having photos taken and signing copies of his book before the game.

Any Falkirk fans travelling to the game will be very welcome to come over and say hello.

If you are not at the game but would like a signed copy of Tommy’s book, you can have one delivered by using the form below.

Hutch' order form

Edited by Mr Magic

12 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Aye you kinda reminded me of that actually. The new guy they said had no sales experience and wasnt from Falkirk so had so network. Not entirley sure how he was qualified for the role