The Falkirk FC Thread

There's all guns blazing and then there's sticking ten men behind the ball. I've seen us play dunfermline more times than I could imagine and I've never seen either side ever set up like that. I've also seen us when we've had a side top of the league on a number of occasions and I've never ever seen us go to a side below us and stick ten men behind the ball.  Under Hughes or McCall that would never even have entered their heads. They would always take their rivals on head on no matter how many points we were ahead because they knew they had the better side and could outplay the other side comfortably.
Yet it took until injury time to register your first shot on target? Hardly played us off the park and we snatched the mother of all undeserved wins. Mcpake had Mcglynns number that day, stop crying about it [emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

There's all guns blazing and then there's sticking ten men behind the ball. I've seen us play dunfermline more times than I could imagine and I've never seen either side ever set up like that. I've also seen us when we've had a side top of the league on a number of occasions and I've never ever seen us go to a side below us and stick ten men behind the ball.  Under Hughes or McCall that would never even have entered their heads. They would always take their rivals on head on no matter how many points we were ahead because they knew they had the better side and could outplay the other side comfortably.

Tbh, everyone in Scotland knows how McPake sets his teams up. His style is industrial and has been since he moved into management. It’s maybe a bit dated but it’s working just fine this season.

His team are 7 points clear at the top of the league in Dunfermline’s first season in it so it’s evidently working.

Its not up to McPake to find another style that’s more pleasing on the eye / it’s up to other teams to find a way to beat it and so far only 1 team has.

I thought Dunfermline's play in that game wasn't exactly easy on the eye, but it was effective. They set up to counter-attack, played long balls and their players went down every time we so much as looked at their goal. 

It worked - against them we had a team capable of passing the ball around a bit and exerting a bit of pressure. But we never threatened their goal. The game could have gone another 90 minutes and we still wouldn't score. 

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Tbh, everyone in Scotland knows how McPake sets his teams up. His style is industrial and has been since he moved into management. It’s maybe a bit dated but it’s working just fine this season.

His team are 7 points clear at the top of the league in Dunfermline’s first season in it so it’s evidently working.

Its not up to McPake to find another style that’s more pleasing on the eye / it’s up to other teams to find a way to beat it and so far only 1 team has.

This guy gets it. 

I think every football fan wants to see their team winning and playing exciting football. 

I also think most of us at this level are more than content to take 3 points by any means necessary and anyone complaining about being hard done by can gtf. 

2 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Yet it took until injury time to register your first shot on target? Hardly played us off the park and we snatched the mother of all undeserved wins. Mcpake had Mcglynns number that day, stop crying about it emoji23.pngemoji23.png

It was a dreadful game and we were shite there's no arguement against that but the point in the statement is still true. Mcpake came  and stuck ten men behind the ball because that was he felt the only way his team could get something out the game. Ultimately we managed to hand him 3 points but he obviously wasn't confident enough to send his team out to match us in an open attacking game.  Was still very much up to us to play far better and we didn't.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Your right it's up to him to set his team up to get something from the game noone is arguing with that  The statement from the bod though  is saying that it's flattering for us that the only way he felt he could get anything was setting up with ten men behind the ball thus basically saying he can't match us in an open attacking match. I don't see what's wrong with saying that as it's hundred percent correct.   It was still our own failings that cost us a point and that needs to change.

20 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

It was a dreadful game and we were shite there's no arguement against that but the point in the statement is still true. Mcpake came  and stuck ten men behind the ball because that was he felt the only way his team could get something out the game. Ultimately we managed to hand him 3 points but he obviously wasn't confident enough to send his team out to match us in an open attacking game.  Was still very much up to us to play far better and we didn't.

McPake had a game plan to win the game and did so. That’s his job

I have absolutely no idea why he should be expected to change that game plan?     Maybe he had different game plans but felt the one he went for was the best, we’ll never know because it was clear from the first minute you had no idea what to do when your hoofs to burell were failing.

Edit- perhaps Falkirk can put a request in to the other managers to not use any tactics against them in case they work and make them all upset

Edited by parsforlife

Your right it's up to him to set his team up to get something from the game noone is arguing with that  The statement from the bod though  is saying that it's flattering for us that the only way he felt he could get anything was setting up with ten men behind the ball thus basically saying he can't match us in an open attacking match. I don't see what's wrong with saying that as it's hundred percent correct.   It was still our own failings that cost us a point and that needs to change.

Did you go to the earlier game at EEP? An entertaining game which both teams tried to win, but another that McGlynns' team failed to win. On that basis, it would appear that while McPake can adapt & change styles to suit certain games, McGlynn can't.

I know what you're saying and agree that the statement was simply saying teams are taking notice of us and know that we'll be a threat if they play against us in a certain fashion. It was maybe a misguided statement, although I think some folk are getting a wee bit over the top with their reactions.

I can't completely agree with the bit where you say that McPake doesn't think he can match us in an open match. He may think that he can but he knows what his players strengths are and the point is that he didn't need to try to match us on that particular day as they were already 4 points above us. A draw would have done them just fine so he must have been creaming himself that we managed to play so ineffectively and they got all 3 points. This is basically what I was saying with the 'shitfest' comment that seems to have touched a nerve with certain people. McPake knows what his team is good at and sets them out to play to their strengths. I think they'll do so in most away games, winning most, losing very few. I actually think that they may have more trouble at home because they'll play a more expansive game and teams will be set up to play against that and hit them on the break. I don't think they'll lose many games at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost more at home than away.

Listened to the podcast earlier. The conclusions by the podcast guys at the end was about right. Plan A sounds great but is it achievabl?And although theres a loose plan B theres not allot of answers around it.

The directors speaking tried to show a balance of "this is pretty important" but also "dont panic". I'm wondering if it would make fans react more if they did call it out as pretty bleak and the doors will shut(if that is the case). They did call out cash reserves were finished if it wasnt for the Vaulks money 3 years ago, then then the covid grant(might have been something else in there). The drop in income continuing into last season from 2.2m to 1.3(even with crowds back) must be a worry. And they are gambing on the income to go back to pre covid levels while still increasing the playing budget this season on top of it.

Whats pretty clear is running a full time club at this level isnt sustainable season after season.

Some chat about some shareholder called Rawlins walking away due to an incident in a hotel. Was that the q/a with the fans that was videoed and made available that turned into a car crash? Also is he majority shareholder?

The stadium thing seems weird too. The club own the pitch, council the main stand(with dressing rooms etc) and a falkirk fan owns one of the stands. Btw who owns the away stand?

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

48 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Did you go to the earlier game at EEP? An entertaining game which both teams tried to win, but another that McGlynns' team failed to win. On that basis, it would appear that while McPake can adapt & change styles to suit certain games, McGlynn can't.

I have a worrying feeling this may be true.

Dunfermline are seven points clear of the field, I’ll say at some point between now and the end of the season they will be caught by someone, they may kick on again and win the league. They are grinding out results without being spectacular which is perfectly fine, however if they were to get a couple of back to back defeats their resolve would have its first real test and they might not have it in them to change their style

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy

Dunfermline apart from being the biggest team in this league (and from a city) are showing a real reslience absent in recent seasons. McPake is extremely enthusiastic, passionate and knowledgeable about the game. Being tactically astute means him and his No:2 are able to change and adjust our team to meet an oppositions style of play. We beat Falkirk fairly easily due to how we set ourselves up that day. Being honest we lapped up the pressure. Our fans were also in brilliant form, one of the best away supports in the country. We'll go about our business and we'll not get too uptight, bitter or jealous even if we do suffer a narrow defeat. I'm actually surprised at how your club and fans are still showing such an infantile hostility toward us after that game. Hate is corrosive guys. Here's a brief crowd scene to cheer you all up.

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I know what you're saying and agree that the statement was simply saying teams are taking notice of us and know that we'll be a threat if they play against us in a certain fashion. It was maybe a misguided statement, although I think some folk are getting a wee bit over the top with their reactions.

I can't completely agree with the bit where you say that McPake doesn't think he can match us in an open match. He may think that he can but he knows what his players strengths are and the point is that he didn't need to try to match us on that particular day as they were already 4 points above us. A draw would have done them just fine so he must have been creaming himself that we managed to play so ineffectively and they got all 3 points. This is basically what I was saying with the 'shitfest' comment that seems to have touched a nerve with certain people. McPake knows what his team is good at and sets them out to play to their strengths. I think they'll do so in most away games, winning most, losing very few. I actually think that they may have more trouble at home because they'll play a more expansive game and teams will be set up to play against that and hit them on the break. I don't think they'll lose many games at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost more at home than away.

His team were far more open at east end and it was a tight game but he knew they were going to struggle at TFS in a game like that with us at home so he didn't even attempt it.  They came for a draw we gifted them 3 points and that's that but the statement is correct they came to defend as did Edinburgh. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I have a worrying feeling this may be true.

I very much doubt you'll see us going anywhere in this league and putting ten men behind the ball no matter who we're playing it's just not mcglynns way of playing.   I'm quite happy to see us starting every game trying to roll the opposition over with attacking football my concern is more about game management. If it isn't working then don't just swap like for like which mcginn is far too keen on doing at times.  Against Dunfermline it was crying out for ola to come on then on Saturday we really needed hetherington or yeats brought on in the middle. To allow mcginn and Ola to play.  Subs can be poor and take too long but I could probably say that about a load of managers we've had.