The Falkirk FC Thread

Have had to take myself away from the topic since the game yesterday but I've settled down now so I can consider what went on. 

The first half was a shambles, and almost every player had a nightmare. Passing was slack and being picked up by Kelty. They kept pressure constant which we didn't know how to deal with and movement was slow. No one was creating new space with everyone standing waiting for the ball. Kelty on the other hand out played us at our own game, short, sharp and speedy passes that pushed forward. Seems like we have been good at that ourselves but don't seem to know how to deal with it when it happens to us. 

Second half was much better, more direct which helped eliminate their short, sharp passes and got us right into the game. Every player on the park was an improvement and can commend them on their heart going into it. Unfortunately too little too late, but based on that we should have deserved at least the 1 point. Oh well, onto next week which is now a must win.

Kelty done a number on Stephen McGinn yesterday easily his worst game for us. Nicky low constantly blocking either McGinns passing channel or stopping the ball getting to him at all.

A right hand side of Brad McKay and Craig McGuffie should never be seen again, Morrison and Oliver offered nothing yet Kennedy offered even less when he came on.

If I was to single anyone out for a MoM I would say McCann, I can help but think as much as it was a repeat of the away game we coped a lot better with the physicality of it in the second half first half we were a shambles.

Agyemans pace caused us the most problems but I thought McCann generally coped well with him the 3rd goal looked as if it took a bit deflection from where I was sitting.

Nesbitt done better than before and at least didn't shiftiest trying to get in about like the away game, Morrison largely ineffectual as was McGuffie tbs I couldn't really the subs were wrong we just didn't come out the traps like we did on Tuesday which I thought if we did then it would have been a different game.

Referee was poor and was surprised Higgy didn't get sent off for squaring up to the ref (plus his wee shove on him) but, as much as Kelty have beaten us twice I still don't think they are any great shakes which makes it even more frustrating being beaten by them. The time wasting again by Kelty was shocking.

I thought we might just nick a draw at the end as it looks like we had finally worked it out how to score against them, but they didn't give us time to pass also the high ball was another killer of the game instead of get the ball on the deck.

Have to say Yeats when he came on with Lawal was excellent, he put absolutely everything into the game and you could see it a mile off. Think his time off and being put back into his own position is going to do him really good, looking forward to that.

9 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Don’t think downing tools is any sort of issue. In the case of Nesbitt and McGuffie, it really is the case that both can be bullied out of games with little difficulty.

For my money, as long as they are playing, we run the risk of today happening all over again. Nesbitt buzzing about gives the illusion of contributing, but once he has been handed out a dull one, he’s done. McGuffie is most definitely in the same category.

Ah the old 'It's all Nesbitt and McGuffie's fault" line.  Do you keep these in a file somewhere ready to roll out when we lose?  I certainly didn't see you giving them any credit for our recent good run of form.

Anyone watching yesterday's game will know there were several who were worse than those two - Henderson, Oliver and Alegria (although the latter redeemed himself slightly with the goal).  Clearly M&S felt the same when they chose to keep them both on and our fortunes improved massively in the second period.

Edited by RC_Bairn

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

If I was to single anyone out for a MoM I would say McCann, I can help but think as much as it was a repeat of the away game we coped a lot better with the physicality of it in the second half first half we were a shambles.

Agyemans pace caused us the most problems but I thought McCann generally coped well with him the 3rd goal looked as if it took a bit deflection from where I was sitting.

Nesbitt done better than before and at least didn't shiftiest trying to get in about like the away game, Morrison largely ineffectual as was McGuffie tbs I couldn't really the subs were wrong we just didn't come out the traps like we did on Tuesday which I thought if we did then it would have been a different game.

Referee was poor and was surprised Higgy didn't get sent off for squaring up to the ref (plus his wee shove on him) but, as much as Kelty have beaten us twice I still don't think they are any great shakes which makes it even more frustrating being beaten by them. The time wasting again by Kelty was shocking.

I thought we might just nick a draw at the end as it looks like we had finally worked it out how to score against them, but they didn't give us time to pass also the high ball was another killer of the game instead of get the ball on the deck.

Have to say I disagree about McCann which might be an unpopular opinion. He has easily been one of our top players the last several games and yes he did play well yesterday and to the best of his abilities but I think he was no real match for Agyeman. Agyeman was faster and stronger and honestly McCann was just not quick enough to keep up and was being muscled out often. Think this might have been a game for Mackie purely for height and strength which may seem harsh as again McCann played well, but just think it was a poor match having him against Agyeman.

Just now, Jimmy1876 said:

Have to say I disagree about McCann which might be an unpopular opinion. He has easily been one of our top players the last several games and yes he did play well yesterday and to the best of his abilities but I think he was no real match for Agyeman. Agyeman was faster and stronger and honestly McCann was just not quick enough to keep up and was being muscled out often. Think this might have been a game for Mackie purely for height and strength which may seem harsh as again McCann played well, but just think it was a poor match having him against Agyeman.

Agreed on this, McCann wouldn’t commit himself forward enough yesterday for me and that in part was due to leaving Agyeman and trying to catch up with him if we lost the ball, now that might be McCann or perhaps it was the manager telling him to not commit forward.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

A guy behind me said much the same about playing Mackie tight on Agyeman. As said McCann was pulled inside out, I put it down to Keltys short passing and the others performing so badly in first 45

1 minute ago, RC_Bairn said:

Saw McGlynn exchanging some words with a fan behind the dugout in the first half yesterday.  Anyone know what was said?

I heard McGlynn shout back "It's the same team as Tuesday" but didn't hear anything else. Assuming someone potentially calling out having McGuffie/Morrison and Nesbitt being in and McGlynn arguing the same team won on Tuesday? Best guess anyway! 

46 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

Ah the old 'It's all Nesbitt and McGuffie's fault" line.  Do you keep these in a file somewhere ready to roll out when we lose?  I certainly didn't see you giving them any credit for our recent good run of form.

Anyone watching yesterday's game will know there were several who were worse than those two - Henderson, Oliver and Alegria (although the latter redeemed himself slightly with the goal).  Clearly M&S felt the same when they chose to keep them both on and our fortunes improved massively in the second period.

Tbh I just don’t see what Mcguffie contributes in most games. Nesbitt has been better recently but still lacks end product at times for me.

The key point is we know a midfield 3 of Nesbitt, Mcguffie and Morrison always has the potential to go missing, particularly in games which turn into a physical battle like yesterday. 

I would have Kennedy in for Mcguffie next week and I’d also take Nesbitt out for Lawal.

16 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

We gave the sort of midfield and defensive performances that was pure 21/22 season. Why? Because Kelty bullied them. No great football, just a bit of grunt and that’s Nesbitt and McGuffie done.

Thing is, I think we might be more susceptible to that kind of performance than we realise. If McGuffie and Nesbitt both play, the Kelty manager can’t be the only one realising that giving those two a dunt early on kind of ensures that both fade out of the game, and our midfield becomes McGinn and Yeats.

Three truly dire performances now. I just don’t know if McGlynn has the players or set up to stop it from happening again. Today wasn’t a blip…..it is a characteristic of our team that we have to hope McGlynn and Smith can eradicate.

Sometimes you can only piss with the cock you have, there's no doubt McGlynn has been hamstrung a bit with what he inherited, I just don't get why some get picked almost every week when they have done little to merit it. The end of this season hopefully sees the majority of Holt's signings away apart from McCann and McKay. Just slightly terrified that McGlynn might take a brain fart and offer one or two new deals. 

I actually thought McCann dealt well with Agyeman yesterday. He didn’t commit himself forward as much, however, I’d say that was common sense as Agyeman was clearly going to cause us issues. There was one specific time in the first half that Agyeman knocked it past McCann and he managed to get back and use his strength to get the ball back so I wouldn’t say he was turned inside out by him. 

Yeats needs to start in midfield. He is everywhere and for a guy his size he isn’t afraid to get stuck in. 

Ola just looks like he has that touch of class and like many I’ve been desperate to see more of him so hopefully he gets his chance. 

McGlynn needs to find a way to play both Alegria and Burrell as I thought they caused their defence a lot of issues, however, that might not work every game

15 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Wasn’t the problem that our Navy blue and light blue both clashed home colours? That was even pointed out by some on here before we even played a game. 

Sure Kelty’s away top would have been fine if they had it. In any case it’s not the biggest issue about today.

That was there away top.

I think Oliver, McGuffie, Nesbitt, Morrison etc have all contributed well at times this season but I think it’s clearly obvious when it’s going to be a bit more of a physical battle we have to sacrifice some of them. Kelty bullied us at their place so I don’t see why yesterday would have been any different. 

It’s difficult for a manager to change a winning team as we played well on Tuesday night but it has to be a case of horses for courses. It was clear after 10mins yesterday that we were getting bullied so it should have been changed before half time.

32 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I actually thought McCann dealt well with Agyeman yesterday. He didn’t commit himself forward as much, however, I’d say that was common sense as Agyeman was clearly going to cause us issues. There was one specific time in the first half that Agyeman knocked it past McCann and he managed to get back and use his strength to get the ball back so I wouldn’t say he was turned inside out by him. 

Yeats needs to start in midfield. He is everywhere and for a guy his size he isn’t afraid to get stuck in. 

Ola just looks like he has that touch of class and like many I’ve been desperate to see more of him so hopefully he gets his chance. 

McGlynn needs to find a way to play both Alegria and Burrell as I thought they caused their defence a lot of issues, however, that might not work every game

Having twinkleshite Mcguffie playing most or all of a match whilst Burrell and lawal get 20 min cameos does stick in the craw a bit. Hopefully the end of that 

Potter got his tactics spot on. To me it shows we don't have good enough players to play the same 11 every week as other sides work you put. Agyeman wide right stopped McCann getting forward and his height and pace gave us problems with him cutting inside.  They bullied us in the middle of the park first half and with McCann shackled it meant Mackay was out width and he just isn't a good enough footballer to do that.  The changed made a huge difference but by then the damage was done unfortunately.