The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Donaldson's one yellow off being suspended, if it is still 5 these days. With Queen of the South & Dunfermline being our next two games after Kelty that's a worry.

As some have mentioned I thought the subs killed off the game last night. Didn't obviously matter in the end but it would have been nice to add another few goals. Even at 3-0 we could have trialled Alegria and Burrell up top together especially with Alegria on a hatrick. 

I would hate Donaldson to be suspended for the Pars game, I would rather him be out for QOS if he has to miss either.

I love the way he reacts to goal scorers during the celebration, he seems to be giving them a right good amount of praise, seen him do it a few times now. Team spirit looks excellent just now and that’s down to McGlynn and Smith.

Losing Donaldson for the Pars game would be devastating, he carries that back 4. No disrespect to Henderson and McCann who are both excellent but feel like Col is the leader that makes that back 4 so solid and fluid together.  Would hate to lose that especially for that game. 

13 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’ve been told that we’ve spoken to Calvin Miller as a potential signing. He’s a free agent. The guy who told me apparently knows his dad.

Absolutely  zero idea or confidence about how true this is or isn’t.

Would be a bit mental signing another left back given we already have 3 as well as Henderson who can play there.

27 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Would be a bit mental signing another left back given we already have 3 as well as Henderson who can play there.

Also apparently he’s not a left back but a winger however Brendan Rodgers tried to convert him.

Again, we have McGuffie and Kennedy for that.

Other interested clubs are Morton and Dundee.

Like I said, it could all be total crap.

29 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Especially as we have the best left-back in football since Paolo Maldini

Aye thought the subs disrupted the side more than improved .Didn't really see the point in bringing yeats on in a more advanced midfield role. I'd have rested him completely and given lawal more gametime to see what he can do. Hetherington brought on to shore the midfield up but if anything we were far more open after that.  Alegria excellent at holding the ball up but that isn't burrells strength he needs it over the top but we seemed to keep playing as if alegria was still on. A couple of better finishes and better decision making with the final ball and we'd have got a few more. Mcguffie trying to beat the defender with two players open on each flank was so bloody wasteful. Comfortable win. Special mention for yet another abysmal man in the middle. Even in games where they have little to do they seem to be able to feck up completely the few decisions they have to make.

Calvin Miller was a very decent player when he was young. He’s still only 24 and would’ve been part of the youth setup at Celtic when McGlynn was there. If McGlynn thinks he improves our squad then I’d be inclined to trust him at this stage, his signings have been good so far.

I would think we would need to get some players out to afford Miller’s wages

I don't think McGlynn will be in the market for any more defenders tbh. We've basically got two competent backs 4s already in [McCann, Donaldson, Henderson, Yeats] & [Sneddon, Mackie, McKay, Williamson] + Paul Watson, with a number of players that can play 2 positions so plenty of cover.

I'm happy with the squad we've got but if McGlynn can work his magic to bring in another winger/ striker to give us another option that would be great. With the Pars and Airdrie running such small squads at the moment you'd imagine both will be in a position to strengthen in January 

10 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I don't think McGlynn will be in the market for any more defenders tbh. We've basically got two competent backs 4s already in [McCann, Donaldson, Henderson, Yeats] & [Sneddon, Mackie, McKay, Williamson] + Paul Watson, with a number of players that can play 2 positions so plenty of cover.

I'm happy with the squad we've got but if McGlynn can work his magic to bring in another winger/ striker to give us another option that would be great. With the Pars and Airdrie running such small squads at the moment you'd imagine both will be in a position to strengthen in January 

Said weeks ago, if we could magic up another CF, we wont be far away. 

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Since the horrific loss to Airdrie we have played 9 games in the league and have taken 20 out of those 27 points. Amazing the difference having an actual football manager who knows a bit about tactics, formations and substitutions can have.

It's mental to think that just last season we had absolute weapons say that Sheerin and Rennie needed more time and that they would turn it around, even as it was becoming more and more obvious after each game that they were hopelessly out of their depth and incapable of turning it around.

Mind someone on here saying Sheerin should get a contract extension after 4 league games, while another was worried Aberdeen might swoop for Rennie:lol: This thread is always entertaining, if nothing else.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Since the horrific loss to Airdrie we have played 9 games in the league and have taken 20 out of those 27 points. Amazing the difference having an actual football manager who knows a bit about tactics, formations and substitutions can have.

It's mental to think that just last season we had absolute weapons say that Sheerin and Rennie needed more time and that they would turn it around, even as it was becoming more and more obvious after each game that they were hopelessly out of their depth and incapable of turning it around.

At least with Sheerin there was the odd sign of hope, followed by large quantities of incompetence - along with Holt jobbying up behind the scenes it was a recipe for disaster. Ended up on a win percentage of 35%

Rennie was backed well and picked his own players in January, did even worse at 29%

The vast majority of the players clearly weren't trying a leg and that was probably the biggest failure of both. Though signing guys like Jamie Wilson & Sammy Ompreon or ATS and blowing 3-4 wages on Leigh Griffiths clearly didn't help

McGlynn has come in (worth noting only 6 of his new signings actually started last night though the other 5 on the bench all look good/ able to contribute) and his is 53%. Or 60% excluding those first two games. As you say it has been night and day having someone in charge that can actually motivate players, recruit well and set out a game plan. Long may it continue.

Saturday will be a test of our character. The worst result of our season so far in my opinion was at Keltie. The team should be very keen to right that wrong. Lets see
They're rotten on the road and yous are very solid at home. Nothing less than a win would be a disaster tbh.

15 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Saturday will be a test of our character. The worst result of our season so far in my opinion was at Keltie. The team should be very keen to right that wrong. Lets see

No bigger test of character than a home game against a team that's got a 100% losing record on the road this season.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

... better decision making with the final ball and we'd have got a few more. Mcguffie trying to beat the defender with two players open on each flank was so bloody wasteful. ...

That was very frustrating, and he did similar in the 1st half. 

You'd think having scored a banger the Saturday before he'd have been willing to shoot but seemed hesitant. His teammates couldn't have complaints had he attempted to recreate his last at any point last night.

Ach, well! Splitting hairs tbh.

11 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

No bigger test of character than a home game against a team that's got a 100% losing record on the road this season.

Didnt they have a 100% losing record altogether before we showed up there with our pants round our ankles?