The Falkirk FC Thread

39 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

The way I see it - a disappointing performance where we didn’t reach anywhere near the heights we’ve reached in previous weeks, but nowhere as terrible as some are saying. It would be nice to win these games and solidify ourselves as title contenders, but given last year where we consistently folded in games like this, taking a point from a tough venue where we didn’t play very well is a pretty okay result. The league campaign is long and if we draw these games away and manage to beat them at home, we won’t be too far away at the end of it. We move on to Tuesday. 

Far too sensible.

2 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Edinburgh will not be a top 4 side come the end of the season Imo

Agreed. Whilst I don't think they'll be relegation candidates I don't think they'll be in the top 4. They offered nothing yesterday, parked the bus and were rewarded handsomely for their time wasting. They've scored more away goals than we have goals in total, yet you wouldn't think that.

I said before a ball was kicked that Airdrie, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Kelty H would all make the top 4. Kelty had a poor start but have started picking up wins, Airdrie have gone right off the boil, but I'd still expect it to be the same come the end of the season. I don't think Queens are consistent enough to keep up and I don't know if Montrose have enough to win more games than they draw (they'll beat us on Saturday no doubt).

5 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Agreed. Whilst I don't think they'll be relegation candidates I don't think they'll be in the top 4. They offered nothing yesterday, parked the bus and were rewarded handsomely for their time wasting. They've scored more away goals than we have goals in total, yet you wouldn't think that.

I said before a ball was kicked that Airdrie, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Kelty H would all make the top 4. Kelty had a poor start but have started picking up wins, Airdrie have gone right off the boil, but I'd still expect it to be the same come the end of the season. I don't think Queens are consistent enough to keep up and I don't know if Montrose have enough to win more games than they draw (they'll beat us on Saturday no doubt).

Kelties home form has been decent but their away results have been horrific. They will need to sort that out pronto to get near the top 4.

Of course, the league table at the end of the season will tell us all we need to know. What is objectively true is that after 10 games, we are 4 points better off than last season, so no doubt, an improvement.

Equally true though is that in two games against Montrose, one against Airdrie and one against DA, we have won none, and taken 3 points from a possible 12. That is way too similar to last season, and the season before that. There’s lots of games to put it right though, and we really need to. I don’t think we’ll get anywhere near the title if we don’t start winning those head to heads.

At last, midweek game when I’m up from Runcorn. COYB.
Just watched highlights, Morrison getting stick for the “Kennedy chance”,? If he’d  passed and Kennedy missed Morrison would have got slaughtered, or did I miss another chance?

Edited by RuncornBairn

14 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Of course, the league table at the end of the season will tell us all we need to know. What is objectively true is that after 10 games, we are 4 points better off than last season, so no doubt, an improvement.

Equally true though is that in two games against Montrose, one against Airdrie and one against DA, we have won none, and taken 3 points from a possible 12. That is way too similar to last season, and the season before that. There’s lots of games to put it right though, and we really need to. I don’t think we’ll get anywhere near the title if we don’t start winning those head to heads. of those games away from home.

Three of those games away from home.

First Montrose and Airdrie games came before we had anything like a settled team and we only drew away to THEM because of a really stupid penalty after a wonderful first half display.

Saturday not one of our better performances but were still worth at least a draw away to a difficult opponent.

Taking the glass half full viewpoint but we are clearly a vastly improved team this season.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Three of those games away from home.

First Montrose and Airdrie games came before we had anything like a settled team and we only drew away to THEM because of a really stupid penalty after a wonderful first half display.

Saturday not one of our better performances but were still worth at least a draw away to a difficult opponent.

Taking the glass half full viewpoint but we are clearly a vastly improved team this season.

Think DF has a point though. The 2 wins in our last 5 games came against teams that have been abysmal and are propping up the bottom of the table. If we want to win the league then we really do need to find a way of getting victories against the teams likely to win the title whilst continuing to see out matches against the rest. 

Hopefully Tuesday can get us back on track. Alloa have better form with 10 points out the last 5 compare to our 8 so will be another good test to see if we have what it takes to string the sort of results we need to win the title. 

32 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Think DF has a point though. The 2 wins in our last 5 games came against teams that have been abysmal and are propping up the bottom of the table. If we want to win the league then we really do need to find a way of getting victories against the teams likely to win the title whilst continuing to see out matches against the rest. 

Hopefully Tuesday can get us back on track. Alloa have better form with 10 points out the last 5 compare to our 8 so will be another good test to see if we have what it takes to string the sort of results we need to win the title. 

Basically my point is that it is too early to get worried about those results.

If we have failed to get a win against any of these teams by the new year then that would be a different matter.

I do think it's pretty harsh to include the first two games against Montrose and Airdrie. Since then we've made 5/6 changes to the starting line-up. Alegria had only been in the door for about 5 minutes and we hadn't even signed Burrell

After those 2 games we were 5 points behind Dunfermline, and had closed it to 2 points before playing one of our trickiest matches of this quarter. Now in the next block of fixtures we've got Edinburgh at home along with Dunfermline and Airdrie. Still early days but from what I've seen so far we've finally assembled a side capable of improving on our usual string of draws and defeats in these types of games.

My main concern is simply how (un)clinical we have been so far. Dunfermline went to Alloa on Saturday and scored 3 goals from 3 shots on target. There are a lot of tough matches in this league and that is exactly the kind of ruthlessness you need to show to win promotion.

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

14 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I do think it's pretty harsh to include the first two games against Montrose and Airdrie. Since then we've made 5/6 changes to the starting line-up. Alegria had only been in the door for about 5 minutes and we hadn't even signed Burrell

After those 2 games we were 5 points behind Dunfermline, and had closed it to 2 points before playing one of our trickiest matches of this quarter. Now in the next block of fixtures we've got Edinburgh at home along with Dunfermline and Airdrie. Still early days but from what I've seen so far we've finally assembled a side capable of improving on our usual string of draws and defeats in these types of games.

My main concern is simply how (un)clinical we have been so far. Dunfermline went to Alloa on Saturday and scored 3 goals from 3 shots on target. There are a lot of tough matches in this league and that is exactly the kind of ruthlessness you need to show to win promotion.

Dunfermline played Edinburgh and Alloa were at home to Airdrie on Saturday?

29 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Exactly.

If we have one failing this season it is our wastefulness in front of goal.

1 hour ago, RuncornBairn said:

At last, midweek game when I’m up from Runcorn. COYB.
Just watched highlights, Morrison getting stick for the “Kennedy chance”,? If he’d  passed and Kennedy missed Morrison would have got slaughtered, or did I miss another chance?

Morrison wouldn't or certainly shouldn't have been slaughtered if he'd passed the ball. Kennedy possibly would have been because he was in a very good position to score however. I think Morrison was caught in two minds as there was a defender in close proximity and he may have felt that a pass would have been intercepted. Remember he's only got a second or two to think about it.

Despite the fact that he's clearly a greedy player, I'm sure if there was simple pass on for a Kennedy tap-in he would have squared it.

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

If we have failed to get a win against any of these teams by the new year then that would be a different matter.

I agree it is early doors but if we were to lose and Dunfermline win in our next fixtures then a 7 point gap suddenly starts to feel insurmountable. 

I can see other teams adding in January when clearly we don’t have the funds so we really need to keep hot on the heels of DAFC. We can’t afford too many points lost even if a point a Montrose, when all things considered, isn’t too bad a result. 8 points out of the last 15 simply isn’t good enough form to win the league.

The good thing is that I feel confident we can dispatch Alloa tomorrow which is more than can be said for previous seasons. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

The wastefulness seems to just be poor decision making. Which I feel we'll get better at. The amount of chances we're creating is frightening. I feel sooner rather than later it's all going to click and someone's going to get an absolute doing. (Hopefully 5th November lol). 

7 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

How far ahead of Partick were we in the M&M season come January? Pretty sure it was something like 9 points before we shat the bed. 

The league was suspended In January due to Covid. In our second and final game that month we beat Montrose 2-0 to go four points clear. 

We started to fall apart a month earlier though. On 20th December we were unbeaten in the league and Partick lost on the Saturday. Had we beaten Airdrie on the Sunday, we would have gone ten points clear. 

We lost 2-0. Then followed that up by only drawing with Partick at home, despite Rudden being sent off with half an hour to go. And lost the next game to East Fife who were bottom of the league. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
28 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

How far ahead of Partick were we in the M&M season come January? Pretty sure it was something like 9 points before we shat the bed. 

We had a monumental downfall, no doubt about it(Holt didn’t help!).

These things can happen but the point is we are not on top of the league and nor are we the most in form team. Need to change that to climb to the top and capitalise on any poor results from Dunfermline. 

Hopefully back to winning ways tomorrow and onwards to what should be a huge game at TFS at the start of next month vs the Pars. I don’t think any less than 9 points from our next 3 will do if we want to have a chance of overtaking them that day 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

55 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I agree it is early doors but if we were to lose and Dunfermline win in our next fixtures then a 7 point gap suddenly starts to feel insurmountable. 

I can see other teams adding in January when clearly we don’t have the funds so we really need to keep hot on the heels and can’t afford too many points lost even if a point a Montrose, when all things considered, isn’t too bad a result however 8 points out of the last 15 simply isn’t good enough form to win the league.

The good thing is that I feel confident we can dispatch Alloa tomorrow which is more than can be said for previous seasons. 

My big fear is that because we are so much better than we were last season that we might sleepwalk into scraping into the play-offs because we're not as good as we think we are! As you say Caractacus, our present form is mid-table at best and we really need to put a string of wins together, not "results", i.e. draws.