The Falkirk FC Thread

18 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I believe their is no extra fee for a televised match in this comp. 

In that case would the club not be best to leave the match to 10/11th Dec as scheduled? I'd imagine a Thursday night game would draw a smaller crowd and a corresponding drop in hospitality income etc. Only upside of a Thursday evening match on TV would appear to be the national exposure that televising the game would give the club.   

6 minutes ago, Brockers61 said:

In that case would the club not be best to leave the match to 10/11th Dec as scheduled? I'd imagine a Thursday night game would draw a smaller crowd and a corresponding drop in hospitality income etc. Only upside of a Thursday evening match on TV would appear to be the national exposure that televising the game would give the club.   

Very much doubt we can say no. 

9 minutes ago, Brockers61 said:

It’s no doubt in the cup rules you can’t say no 

39 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Price of the season ticket would be worth it for this alone, just to see the wee legend on the park kicking a ball again! Even if it was the cross bar challenge. 

In the unlikely event of Latapy and Stainrod being available we could have a legends half time crossbar or beat the goalie challenge. Crunchie, McWilliams, McGivern, Baptie, Geordie Watson, etc, etc.

I'm getting all excited!

On 05/10/2022 at 16:05, Scott said:

I finally signed up to FSS the other night after watching the Falkirk Daft podcast. There's a number of reasons why it's taken me so long to join such as going through a house move (waiting to see where I'd be financially), not really knowing enough of what's involved (slightly confused at all the different groups/legs of the stool/pledges etc etc) and perhaps being too lazy to look it all up (and seeing its not all that complicated at all).

The point I'm trying to make is perhaps the reason why the sign up numbers arent as high as we'd like is due to the message not getting out there to a broader audience of our fan base. I've got a lot of friends who are Bairns (in their 30s and 40s) but not all of them are totally aware of the FSS, whats involved and how simple it actually is. They're not all that active on social media and don't get to as many games as we used to but still very much have the club at heart.

I hope it doesn't come across as having a go, far from it as the guys involved are doing a great job but what I can remember of other teams pushing for fan ownership was there was a lot of publicity but it feels like our push seems kind of 'stop-start' in that we will hear updates from time to time resulting in small boosts to member numbers (the most recent of which gave me the bum booting to finally join).

Does anyone think that we'd have more success if we had more of a 'face'? Such as flags,advertising,badges,leaflets etc with the simple message along the lines of 'OWN OUR CLUB' with an identifiable logo that everyone will recognise and know when they see it what it means. 

I fear the noise from the latest message put out asking for more members will fizzle out again very soon and result in another going out in a month or so resulting in another very modest increase. It seems to me that even though we have a latent support of 5000, the message will only be reaching a small percentage of those and even then, its perhaps not entirely clear how straightforward it is.

I reckon a more visible, prolonged presence getting the message out there over multiple streams (newspaper, online, banners at games etc) could let more fans know we have a movement ongoing. I appreciate this is all easier said than done as would be very hard work, time consuming and costly but I feel the struggle we have getting more numbers is due to the message not being visible enough, if that makes sense.

I was quite grateful for this message as I thought it hit a few nails on the head. It has been difficult to persuade larger numbers to sign up, though I still don’t think we’re doing shockingly within the context we’re operating.  

We have done lots of comms: our own website and social media with posts reaching 3k+ regularly; hundreds of leaflets distributed at games, including hospitality, shop, Brockville Bar and elsewhere; mass emails to our lists and via the club; several Herald articles; Falkirk Daft podcast; newsletters; articles in each programme; several live events for members and non-members; talking at Biz club and other events; a stall in the main stand, and more. 

We’re obviously giving it more of a push this month, thus the competition and more comms that’s yet to come.  But it’s fair to say that a challenge is a simple one: resources.  We all have day jobs and there are fewer than a dozen of us, so there’ll always be a bandwidth issue. And leaflets, badges, banners and other paraphernalia all cost money.

A few of the guys have been dishing-out leaflets at each home game. I haven’t as I’ve missed a few games and, if I’m honest, I like getting pished with my pals on matchdays instead. But we’re heeding your advice about visibility and will do a big push at the Alloa and Kelty games, so would be really grateful if anyone could give half an hour of their time to help get leaflets in hands before each match. 

DM me or write to subscriptions@falkirksupporters.org if you’re up for giving us a hand leafleting these games - I’ll buy you a pint!

Re: some of the recent posts, maybe the club could get some sort of legends match organised to raise funds? Perhaps an 80s team v 90s team or 90s v 2000s? A tenner a skull to get in, the cash going to a good cause. I am sure that some of our past favourites would give of their time gladly to help the club. I am also certain that a lot of fans would turn up to watch one of these. It would be great to see the likes of Crunchie, Russell, Gunner, Big Crawf, Super Sam or God back in the Navy Blue!

Edited for an afterthought.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

Guest Back Post Misses
3 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Re: some of the recent posts, maybe the club could get some sort of legends match organised to raise funds? Perhaps an 80s team v 90s team or 90s v 2000s? A tenner a skull to get in, the cash going to a good cause. I am sure that some of our past favourites would give of their time gladly to help the club. I am also certain that a lot of fans would turn up to watch one of these. It would be great to see the likes of Crunchie, Russell, Gunner, Big Crawf, Super Sam or God back in the Navy Blue!

Maybe he would donate his fee from the night he is having ..,……. aye right ! 

Guest Back Post Misses
11 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

I believe their is no extra fee for a televised match in this comp. 

Not sure that is correct 

2 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

Jamie Swinney, sadly, confirmed it was right on Twitter last night. The BBC cash goes into the overall competition pot he said.  

Which is extremely unfair as it's only the clubs that are getting shown live that can be adversely affected crowd wise by the fact it's on TV.

12 hours ago, StuartA said:

I was quite grateful for this message as I thought it hit a few nails on the head. It has been difficult to persuade larger numbers to sign up, though I still don’t think we’re doing shockingly within the context we’re operating.  

We have done lots of comms: our own website and social media with posts reaching 3k+ regularly; hundreds of leaflets distributed at games, including hospitality, shop, Brockville Bar and elsewhere; mass emails to our lists and via the club; several Herald articles; Falkirk Daft podcast; newsletters; articles in each programme; several live events for members and non-members; talking at Biz club and other events; a stall in the main stand, and more. 

We’re obviously giving it more of a push this month, thus the competition and more comms that’s yet to come.  But it’s fair to say that a challenge is a simple one: resources.  We all have day jobs and there are fewer than a dozen of us, so there’ll always be a bandwidth issue. And leaflets, badges, banners and other paraphernalia all cost money.

A few of the guys have been dishing-out leaflets at each home game. I haven’t as I’ve missed a few games and, if I’m honest, I like getting pished with my pals on matchdays instead. But we’re heeding your advice about visibility and will do a big push at the Alloa and Kelty games, so would be really grateful if anyone could give half an hour of their time to help get leaflets in hands before each match. 

DM me or write to subscriptions@falkirksupporters.org if you’re up for giving us a hand leafleting these games - I’ll buy you a pint!

What's the latest with the new  fss fans rep it's been quite a while now since Douglas resigned unfortunately. Are we anywhere near getting a replacement?

18 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

What's the latest with the new  fss fans rep it's been quite a while now since Douglas resigned unfortunately. Are we anywhere near getting a replacement?

Can only elect a replacement if there's someone willing to step up and do it. The last note they sent out, on Wednesday, was asking anyone interested to put their name forward.

Guest FFC1965

Moving the Dundee game to Thursday 8th was a sensible move even without TV coverage.  

Saturday 10th has two World Cup Quarter Finals kicking off at 3pm & 7pm.  Friday 9th also has two QFs with same KO times which I assume has been taken into account when moving the game to the Thursday rather than Friday. 

Sunday would have made more sense to me (no World Cup games on telly as "competition") but what do I know. 

I was kind of hoping for a super saturday with Falkirk v Dundee at 1pm then England crashing out the World Cup over a few beers but there we are.    

9 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Would be great to see but not sure it would be that easy to organise.

As BPM stated on Falkirk Daft, we tried to get a reunion of Too Near the Keeker vs a Falkirk select for some half time entertainment at the opening of the KM Stand. Thought it wouldn’t be hard to get 6 ex players but there wasn’t many if any that seemed to keen on a 10 second run in.

For 11 aside you’d probably need a squad of at least 20 for each team and then maybe a few more as there are bound to be several that can’t make it on the day.  

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Kenny J was certainly very vocal in wanting the msg influence in the club removed. 

Cheers 

Interesting that he sees fit to give you a green dot but not to reply to  my post right enough