The Falkirk FC Thread

This forum is a superb read. Beat Clyde 2-0 and we are gonna win the league. Lose 2-0 to Kelty and it’s a disaster.

As others have said, let’s see if we can beat Airdrie or Dunfermline first before we even think about finishing first.

I am happy we are creating lots of chances to win games and look to have a great spine, especially with Donaldson and McGinn. But let’s take into the games against our promotion rivals.

This forum is a superb read. Beat Clyde 2-0 and we are gonna win the league. Lose 2-0 to Kelty and it’s a disaster.

As others have said, let’s see if we can beat Airdrie or Dunfermline first before we even think about finishing first.

I am happy we are creating lots of chances to win games and look to have a great spine, especially with Donaldson and McGinn. But let’s take into the games against our promotion rivals.
Stop being rational and absolutely correct and just think about who we will be playing in our first Championship game next season which of course will tell us we are Prem bound.

2 hours ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

How many points did we have at the first 1/4 last season ?

Last season we had 14 points after 9 games, though 10 of those were from the first 4 matches. The year before we had 20 from the first quarter. Both ended up going terribly wrong and arguably the worst two seasons in the entire history of our club. For that reason I dont think anyone will be getting carried away 

9 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Last season we had 14 points after 9 games, though 10 of those were from the first 4 matches. The year before we had 20 from the first quarter. Both ended up going terribly wrong and arguably the worst two seasons in the entire history of our club. For that reason I dont think anyone will be getting carried away 

It does have a better feel now though mainly due to the man in the managers office 

55 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It does have a better feel now though mainly due to the man in the managers office 

I’ve got some criticism towards the BOD with transparency regarding our financial position but they played a blinder in appointing McGlynn and Smith.  Plaudits for that.

Edited by Dawson Park Boy
Grammar

12 hours ago, Trump said:

When you consider that Kelty have took all 3 points off Airdrie and drew with Dunfermline and until we played them were a bit of an unknown quantity to us, I think the style of play (we were bullied) standard of referee (he was shit) and a tighter park not to mention players being played out of position (McCann/Yeats) were a major factor in the loss of 3 points.  Airdrie were another team that played similar to what Kelty served up Bullied again and don't care what anyone says the state of the pitch at airdrie was woeful but on the other side of that argument both teams played on it and the home side won read into that what you will (they're used to how bad it is).

Style of play compared to the past few seasons is night and day, we still have players that hide right enough (Nesbitt doing a Telfer now and then) and shit out of tackles (again a Telfer) but its good to have a bit of a feel good factor about the club on the pitch, financial position might not be so good worse case scenario the vultures circling round the place for wanting to buy a club might takeover but best case successful team on the park is going to result in a better financial position. To last as long as we have full time in this league, given the away supports at the TFS says it all.  

The financial position though I wouldn't say we can blame the current board the previous incumbents with their disastrous decision making led to that not to mention appointments, paying off over 70 odd players (was it around that it was mentioned for player turnover) for termination of contracts and going by previous newsletters from the club stuff that's still being uncovered (advertising that hasn't/hadnt been paid for and Clarke Epos).

End of the day it could be better but we could be a damn sight worse.

Edited by AL-FFC

3 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

When you consider that Kelty have took all 3 points off Airdrie and drew with Dunfermline and until we played them were a bit of an unknown quantity to us, I think the style of play (we were bullied) standard of referee (he was shit) and a tighter park not to mention players being played out of position (McCann/Yeats) were a major factor in the loss of 3 points.  Airdrie were another team that played similar to what Kelty served up Bullied again and don't care what anyone says the state of the pitch at airdrie was woeful but on the other side of that argument both teams played on it and the home side won read into that what you will (they're used to how bad it is).

Style of play compared to the past few seasons is night and day, we still have players that hide right enough (Nesbitt doing a Telfer now and then) and shit out of tackles (again a Telfer) but its good to have a bit of a feel good factor about the club on the pitch, financial position might not be so good worse case scenario the vultures circling round the place for wanting to buy a club might takeover but best case successful team on the park is going to result in a better financial position. To last as long as we have full time in this league, given the away supports at the TFS says it all.  

The financial position though I wouldn't say we can blame the current board the previous incumbents with their disastrous deacon making led to that not to mention appointments, paying off over 70 odd players (was it around that it was mentioned for player turnover) for termination of contracts and going by previous newsletters from the club stuff that's still being uncovered (advertising that hasn't/hadnt been paid for and Clarke Epos).

Agree pretty much with this but I would say the Airdrie game came too soon for us.

We are vastly stronger than we were going into that game whilst they have only brought in the mighty Telfer and ATS.

Many Dunfermline fans are more than a little surprised that they are still unbeaten and like Airdrie their squad lacks any depth.

I’d far rather be in our position  than either of theirs to be honest, not being complacent by any means but we should be thinking of winning this league not settling for a play off place.

25 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The financial position though I wouldn't say we can blame the current board the previous incumbents with their disastrous decision making led to that not to mention appointments, paying off over 70 odd players (was it around that it was mentioned for player turnover) for termination of contracts and going by previous newsletters from the club stuff that's still being uncovered (advertising that hasn't/hadnt been paid for and Clarke Epos).

I don't think the new board are immune from criticism over the financial position.   They increased the playing budget in January to bring in Rennie's duds (some of them on decent money - Griffiths and Watson for example).  They also further increased the playing budget this year and I'd assume we're paying for the new training facility at Little Kerse.  Hardly prudent financial management.  Don't forget the finance guy on the board walked away a few months ago!

10 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

I don't think the new board are immune from criticism over the financial position.   They increased the playing budget in January to bring in Rennie's duds (some of them on decent money - Griffiths and Watson for example).  They also further increased the playing budget this year and I'd assume we're paying for the new training facility at Little Kerse.  Hardly prudent financial management.  Don't forget the finance guy on the board walked away a few months ago!

Don't talk shite.

The Board operate a tight ship and are careful with the money. They'll get: Fuxxake, where are all the new players that we need?!! Where’s the ambition?!!

The Board give the manager a decent budget in the hope of getting promoted. They get: Imprudent management!! Why are you squandering the money?!!

They're between a rock and a hard place.

OK, what do you suggest that they do?

11 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

I don't think any board will be immune from criticism I would take this season as a last throw of the dice to get promoted and throwing everything we have at the playing side to go up then accept our lot in life as being stuck in this league for longer than anticipated. You can also take the January signings in a few ways as well a gamble to get rid of Sheerin and Holts duds by replacing some dross the only issue with that being players downing tools on Rennie (which again is been a recurring theme over the seasons) players downing tools on Houston, Hartley and Rennie I won't add Sheerin into the mix or McKinnon. but players downing tools to get shot of manager is the main reason we are stuck in this league and the wrong managerial appointments or gambles on agents throwing players at us (Hartleys duds.

Whatever way we look at it we are gambling whether it being fan ownership, investing in playing staff (though I have more faith in McGlynn and Smith than any other we have had so far in regards to signings). but by what's been posted or put into the public domain there has been a lot of skeletons in the closet that has masked over the way the clubs been run and unfortunately someone has to take ownership of that and are tarred with being partly to blame with being at the helm in the current plight. 

3 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Don't talk shite.

The Board operate a tight ship and are careful with the money. They'll get: Fuxxake, where are all the new players that we need?!! Where’s the ambition?!!

The Board give the manager a decent budget in the hope of getting promoted. They get: Imprudent management!! Why are you squandering the money?!!

They're between a rock and a hard place.

OK, what do you suggest that they do?

I've just given you several examples where money has been squandered.  If that's what you call a 'tight ship' then I hope I never set sail with you.

I'm not disputing they gave a decent and enhanced budget this season.  But here we are 1/4 of the way through the season and we're hearing the money is running out.  Hardly wise decision making?

What do I suggest they do?  Upping the budget in January was a mistake, as is paying for a new training facility.

Tell us, oh wise one, why did the finance director resign?

6 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

I've just given you several examples where money has been squandered.  If that's what you call a 'tight ship' then I hope I never set sail with you.

I'm not disputing they gave a decent and enhanced budget this season.  But here we are 1/4 of the way through the season and we're hearing the money is running out.  Hardly wise decision making?

What do I suggest they do?  Upping the budget in January was a mistake, as is paying for a new training facility.

In defence of @Bairn in Exile, I think he was giving examples of criticism that would be levelled at the board under both scenarios i.e. running a tight ship vs throwing money at it. 

I don't think he's implying that the BoD have or haven't done one or the other.

3 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

I'll give you that we shouldn't be paying for a new training facility. 

Signing Watson and Griffiths was done for all the right reasons, it just didn't work out.

Signing all the players that we have this season might just get us out of this hellhole of a league.

I'd pleased that they have taken the gambles that they have in the hope of us getting promoted, rather than accepting our fate is to be in league 1 in perpetuity.

1 hour ago, RC_Bairn said:

Paying for a new training facility in our financial predicament was absolutely bonkers Imo.

Equally the tens of thousands spent on Griffiths. The idea the board would have had no role in probably our highest paid signing since the premier league is also nonsense.

16 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Paying for a new training facility in our financial predicament was absolutely bonkers Imo.

Equally the tens of thousands spent on Griffiths. The idea the board would have had no role in probably our highest paid signing since the premier league is also nonsense.

Were hardly building a whole new training facility from the ground up everything is there already.

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I thought that we only used Little Kerse a couple of days a week.

Hiring pitches for a couple of mornings is small change in the grand scheme of things.

Lot of new equipment was purchased for it though at the bequest of mcglynn it's not a simple case of just pitch hiring fees.

1 hour ago, RC_Bairn said:

You tell us why?