The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

A chance of winning the league if we can actually survive till the end of the season.  These targets to cover losses have been pie in the sky from the start and should never have been put out as a feasible way to cover ever increasing losses. 

FSS is clearly not going to generate the hoped for income but the BoD have back up plans which may not be the preferred options but will keep us going.

4 hours ago, Hughsie said:

It’s a poorly worded statement but I do think there’s been a bit of an overreaction over it. I think years of bad statements have conditioned our supporters to react like this.

I think years of bad statements have just lowered the bar for you so much that this seems minor in comparison.

I'm not even a Falkirk fan but found it wildly out of touch and Tory af 

33 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

A chance of winning the league if we can actually survive till the end of the season.  These targets to cover losses have been pie in the sky from the start and should never have been put out as a feasible way to cover ever increasing losses. 

Promotion in itself would manage the projected loss, without being reckless the phrase “speculate to accumulate” applies here or we could easily become and Airdrie and rot away to a shadow of our former club if we were to remain in this league much longer. 

Glad to hear our fans have been proactive and the FSS have had a bit of a boost in subscriptions and a few folk upping there existing subscription. If the fans can get the club through this period we’ll be a stronger club for it long term. I really don’t like the idea of going back to an MSG type ownership model, genuinely believe fan ownership is a positive influence as has been shown at other clubs our size. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

36 minutes ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

The problem is everything is starting to look good(not amazing) on the park and as long as things are going well there football fans can be an easily satisfied bunch. Then grenades are thrown in out of nowhere. 

Now let's have it right, that email has essentially called 90% of the fanbase, lesser fans than the super 10%. Whether they like it or not that is just as bad as previous board incidents and can't be ignored. Whether it was meant or not by current or previous boards, this sort of them and us idea is simply not on and has to change. 

If that had come from Deans & Co the site would have went into meltdown. 

If FSS membership is struggling then we should be looking at other ways to make it work not canning it if everyone doesn't sign up by the end of October. 

E.g offer a 'pay what you can' option or £5 minimum which would at least acknowledge the current climate.  Add some value add benefits to membership at low cost (e.g prize draws involving shirts or 'meet the manager 1 on 1 type sessions as prizes).  Refer a friend and get free pies for a month...you get the idea. 

The answer to getting more members isn't to offend those who aren't signed up but to get creative to encourage more members.  

2 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

If FSS membership is struggling then we should be looking at other ways to make it work not canning it if everyone doesn't sign up by the end of October. 

E.g offer a 'pay what you can' option or £5 minimum which would at least acknowledge the current climate.  Add some value add benefits to membership at low cost (e.g prize draws involving shirts or 'meet the manager 1 on 1 type sessions as prizes).  Refer a friend and get free pies for a month...you get the idea. 

The answer to getting more members isn't to offend those who aren't signed up but to get creative to encourage more members.  

Agreed. 

Numbers have been a tad disappointing but we have a solid foundation of over 500 members. Fan ownership is a long term project, not something that can be “binned” after a year. That would be a colossal mistake, on par with previous boards 

Guest Caractacus Potts
26 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Apologies another poster brought it up but the quote has disappeared. 

But surely with those financial figures the role of the board is to not spunk so much money up the wall? There's not been a shortage of signings this summer. 

I agree too. There has to be some acceptance of money squandered by those in charge too before fans are criticised for not spending more. If you choose to that then quite rightly some serious questions will then be asked about how money has been spent. 

Leigh Griffiths was a risk and ultimately a waste of money, Finlay Malcolm was a bizarre signing and waste of a wage so far. Was it worthwhile to move to training on grass at this point in time? 

There’s a few things that could maybe have been handled better so I think a bit of accountability wouldn’t go amiss and would help bridge the gap with fans. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

But surely with those financial figures the role of the board is to not spunk so much money up the wall? There's not been a shortage of signings this summer. 

We will take no lectures from followers of Hoofball Athletic with your track record thank you very much. 

33 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I agree too. There has to be some acceptance of money squandered by those in charge too before fans are criticised for not spending more. If you choose to that then quite rightly some serious questions will then be asked about how money has been spent. 

Leigh Griffiths was a risk and ultimately a waste of money, Finlay Malcolm was a bizarre signing and waste of a wage so far. Was it worthwhile to move to training on grass at this point in time? 

There’s a few things that could maybe have been handled better so I think a bit of accountability wouldn’t go amiss and would help bridge the gap with fans. 

Don't know how many times this has to be said, but it keeps being brought up, so I'll keep posting it.

Funds are made available to managers. Players who don't work out aren't board mistakes. Boards should have no say on signings, barring the rapist. 

42 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Less have come in than have left.

2 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Less have come in than have left.

Trouble with that is the ones that have stayed are down to GH offering 2-3 year deals to players that should never have been signed in the first place i.e. Jamie Wilson.

I accept that as a club we need a bit of stability as far as the team goes but when you consider what Holt thought was acceptable for stability and the previous board sanctioning those, I think those are the ones to be answering them

Guest Caractacus Potts
18 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Don't know how many times this has to be said, but it keeps being brought up, so I'll keep posting it.

Funds are made available to managers. Players who don't work out aren't board mistakes. Boards should have no say on signings, barring the rapist. 

Heard that said too but also by people who blamed the old board for the state of the squad.

I think sanctioning the signing of a player on £1.5k-£2.5k for only a few months when finances are poor should be an area where the board have to make a stand. Also think allowing a departing manager to sign an unproven player on a year’s contract shortly before leaving is a point where it’s possible to make a stand too. 

My club is hardly a good example of budget governance nor issuing politically correct statements to there fan base but it’s another example of a poorly worded email, It’s clear Falkirk have a very large loyal support which in my opinion the Falkirk board have taken for granted for many years surely they now have to spend within there means and not expect the fans to bale them out, Good luck to the 25 supporters who stuck in 10k each but surely that’s not the fault of the remaining  90% of the support if more contributions haven’t or can’t be made due to the current financial climate , however I’m sure if the finances worsen people will rally around and pledge more money just think most clubs always go back to there support with a begging bowl when finances are mis-managed .

4 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Heard that said too but also by people who blamed the old board for the state of the squad.

I think sanctioning the signing of a player on £1.5k-£2.5k for only a few months when finances are poor should be an area where the board have to make a stand. Also think allowing a departing manager to sign an unproven player a year’s contract shortly before leaving is a point where it’s possible to make a stand too. 

I think you need to look at the flip side of that if the goals were there and he made a difference in a Stainrod/Waddle kind of way then it would have been money well spent had we got up but to rely on one player when the rest of the team were sh*t/threw the towel in it was never going to happen.

Guest Caractacus Potts
8 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I think you need to look at the flip side of that if the goals were there and he made a difference in a Stainrod/Waddle kind of way then it would have been money well spent had we got up but to rely on one player when the rest of the team were sh*t/threw the towel in it was never going to happen.

True but as far as I can remember Waddle was funded by a fan and Stainrod was on a pay as you play deal. Maybe the same should have been done with Griffiths, then none us could complain.

Your last post criticised the board for Holts signing though so surely we’re in agreement that there are times when the board can question the value of some signings or put in place clauses that won’t hurt the club should they not work out?