The Falkirk FC Thread

This, imo. Some supporters won’t like the cold hard facts that more investment, including from a large number of our big support (which is not reflected in FSS numbers), is desperately needed. The board have tried to be nice but this really does strike me as a final throw of the dice statement 

The cold hard facts are there is a cost of living crisis sweeping the country and getting worse by the day. For the board to then put out that statement and try force supporters to pay more money to the club each month is absolutely shameful. Going into winter where it’s a genuine concern around the country if some can afford to heat their houses is not the right time to get the begging bowl out. Completely unacceptable.

Desperate statement in every sense.

We appear to be financially fucked but then so is the entire country.

Really don’t see this persuading anyone to part with cash at a time when disposable income is becoming a thing of the past.

I’ll certainly continue with my FSS contribution but the tone of this statement pisses me off.

This, imo. Some supporters won’t like the cold hard facts that more investment, including from a large number of our big support (which is not reflected in FSS numbers), is desperately needed. The board have tried to be nice but this really does strike me as a final throw of the dice statement 
Some supporters are only interested in football and do want to hear about or get involved in the "business" side. And whilst you can argue that may be a slightly naive position, it's also understandable, and being a Falkirk fan, the "business" side gettong involved over the last few years has been condescending wankers letting us know its "their baw" in a myriad of differing, but equally wankerish ways.

The last thing we need with the drive towards fan ownership is some fans lecturing others on how good fans they are because they put more in.

I'm an adult, I won't be talked at and lectured by anyone in that way, and as I said before, especially when making assumptions about what I can afford.

I might yet up my FSS if its easy enough done, based on the facts that are on display, but not because of the arsehole tone, which I can just about look past. Just.

Not a great statement to the fans.

My guess is that they’re getting desperate as the AGM needs to be held fairly soon.

To sign off the Accounts, the Auditors will need assurance that the losses are fully covered.

They've done well with the Manager but I think this could become quite serious.

Anyway, hope not.

11 minutes ago, Braes_Bairn said:

Shocking email. Imagine the reaction from the current regime if Gary Deans had sent that?

Agree, the only thing missing is the microphone and the Inchyra audience. Had to read the article again, the unsubscribe in bold halfway through the statement………

Edited by Springfield

So far on the park there's a massive improvement and crowds have been excellent and look like they'll increase if we keep going well. My point here is unless the current board are incredibly stupid we won't have budgeted on 3,500 fans coming through the gate every home game after the disaster of last season. I'd say budgeting on a crowd of 2,500 would've been more sensible and surely the extra patg fans must be helping as even 500 extra would bring in £7,500 plus per home game. The club email seems a bit pessimistic if we keep playing well on the park, would say it could've been better worded but most posters have covered this.

Could see this coming unfortunately. Bod getting more and more panicky about the finances so the begging letters get more and more serious. We all want a good football team on the park but not at the detriment of not having a club at all. It would seem that we have continued to overspend hoping that there would be unrealistic improvements to income via fss and sponsorship etc. The extra money given to John to improve the team hasn't been balanced out by players going the other way and now the pressure is on.  People are spending what they can at a very difficult time so trying to bully them into taking up membership or paying more isn't the way to go.  The AGM is needed badly so we can at least find out what the current picture is.

Does read like a last throw of the dice. In what world did they think the insulting tone of that email would encourage more people to sign up?

In a cost of living crisis, trying to shame people into signing up is not the way to succeed. Fans have already stepped up in buying season tickets and pay at the gate.

Interesting to also read that the £400k loss is based on increasing income by 45% so it will likely be much much worse in reality. There’s hardly been a big influx of sponsors and advertisers and hospitality is much quieter than previous years so I can’t see how they are going to manage their income targets.

The FAQs state that borrowing the money will be the option if fans don’t buy them. Who is going to lend us money in the current climate?

Will be interesting to see the Going Concern statement in the accounts which should be due in the next few weeks. Pains me to say it but wouldn’t be surprised to see administration by Christmas based on the content of that email.

It’s not even a begging letter though; I dare say a letter literally on their knees begging fans to join would probably have gone over better than emotional blackmailing 90% of the fan base who’ll buy season tickets or pay at the gate, go to away games and buy merchandise and food/drink from the club as ‘not true supporters’.

4 minutes ago, Braes_Bairn said:

Does read like a last throw of the dice. In what world did they think the insulting tone of that email would encourage more people to sign up?

In a cost of living crisis, trying to shame people into signing up is not the way to succeed. Fans have already stepped up in buying season tickets and pay at the gate.

Interesting to also read that the £400k loss is based on increasing income by 45% so it will likely be much much worse in reality. There’s hardly been a big influx of sponsors and advertisers and hospitality is much quieter than previous years so I can’t see how they are going to manage their income targets.

The FAQs state that borrowing the money will be the option if fans don’t buy them. Who is going to lend us money in the current climate?

Will be interesting to see the Going Concern statement in the accounts which should be due in the next few weeks. Pains me to say it but wouldn’t be surprised to see administration by Christmas based on the content of that email.

Agree with your last sentence 

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

More I think about it the more fuming I’m getting. Finally getting the feeling fans were getting on board with a large part of that down to the players and management, but this just alienates folk. So daft.

Me too. The one that got me whilst I was driving there, the "latent fanbase of 5000" thing. Almost 5000 are coming through the gate on a routine basis, in the third tier, after years of utter shit shovelled our way both on and off the park, including some pretty direct attacks on the fans.

They are very lucky to be stewarding a club who can command that as an income stream. A bit more thought regarding actions which might push some of those away might be in order. 

Personally, I won’t invest anymore until I can be assured that the forecast losses are correct (not understated) and that the total losses are covered.

I still maintain that the FSS membership of 500 is disappointing.

To do that I think they should put out ‘pledge forms’ as they did a couple of years back to see what is possible and can be triggered at the appropriate time.

That way, cash isn’t going into a bottomless pit and investors can be assured that their money is safe at least up to the end of the season.