The Falkirk FC Thread

On 23/09/2022 at 22:21, Disco Duck said:

I’m getting perilously close to enjoying football again.

Great shout. Hope it continues. I gave up my season ticket, after 35 years of having one, when they gave Pressley a new contract because I couldn't stand watching his team. Went to most home games for about six months after that, and quite a few away from home as well, but gave up after a 2-0 Scottish Cup win over East Fife (both goals scored early, the rest of it utter dross to watch, on a baltic winter day was the final straw for me). I had also gone to almost every away game for 20-odd years but have picked and chosen my games since that day. Went on Friday, and delighted that I did. I was also at the Kilmarnock pre-season game and was encouraged by that, but Friday was something else. Brilliant from start to finish, apart from maybe ten minutes either side of half-time when Thistle still offered nothing. It was great to see a Falkirk team full of players intent on attacking, the way football should be played. No repeatedly passing the ball right and left along the defence and then claiming 'we had 60 per cent possession' when you've lost 3-0, or any of that crap. Only downside was a couple of clowns sitting behind me who slated Morrison at every opportunity. Dunno what game they were watching. He got MOTM - cases could have been made for five or six of them, and he was definitely in the mix. If McGlynn can keep them playing like that - win, lose or draw - I'll be back on a more regular basis. They were a treat to watch.

The caveat is that it really was a PT lite side……there is no denying that, and half a dozen of them were not first team regulars. McCall said (I think truthfully) that his line up clearly demonstrated where his priorities lie……they are top of the Championship………a league where the 5th placed side played essentially their best XI against us, and beat us fairly comfortably.

Friday was a great watch, and we are indeed looking as if we are genuinely on the mend with probably half a dozen players capable of better than L1.

Thing is, we have only scored one more goal than we’ve conceded on league duty. The Clyde game best case scenario is climbing to 3rd but that needs 3 clubs to drop points. The worst case is falling to 7th. Tbh, I can’t imagine not winning the Clyde game. Anything other than a win will be another momentum killer, but here’s hoping come 4:50pm, we have just enjoyed a really good win. Clyde aren’t great, but I think they will offer much more of a challenge than Friday’s Partick side.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

9 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The caveat is that it really was a PT lite side……there is no denying that, and half a dozen of them were not first team regulars. McCall said (I think truthfully) that his line up clearly demonstrated where his priorities lie……they are top of the Championship………a league where the 5th placed side played essentially their best XI against us, and beat us fairly comfortably.

Friday was a great watch, and we are indeed looking as if we are genuinely on the mend with probably half a dozen players capable of better than L1.

Thing is, we have only scored one more goal than we’ve conceded on league duty. The Clyde game best case scenario is climbing to 3rd but that needs 3 clubs to drop points. The worst case is falling to 7th. Tbh, I can’t imagine not winning the Clyde game. Anything other than a win will be another momentum killer, but here’s hoping come 4:50pm, we have just enjoyed a really good win. Clyde aren’t great, but I think they will offer much more of a challenge than Friday’s Partick side.

McCall has quite rightly been handed his arse by the Thistle fans for the abject display on Friday.

A decent turn out from them and all they got for their trouble was their team getting dismantled.

Funny how it’s always the losing managers who come out with the other priority bullshit.

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

McCall has quite rightly been handed his arse by the Thistle fans for the abject display on Friday.

A decent turn out from them and all they got for their trouble was their team getting dismantled.

Funny how it’s always the losing managers who come out with the other priority bullshit.

Couldve seem the priority arguement if it had been a midweek game but that wasn't the case here.

11 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think we can get 2nd if results and score lines all drop for us. 

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I think we can get 2nd if results and score lines all drop for us. 

Yeah, but a hell of a swing to overtake Airdrie. Even a 3-0 win for us and a 0-3 defeat for Airdrie wouldn’t be enough.

Yeah, but a hell of a swing to overtake Airdrie. Even a 3-0 win for us and a 0-3 defeat for Airdrie wouldn’t be enough.
Doesn't matter anyway. Everything that's up for grabs this season is in our hands. We just need to keep winning. Get to January up there and see what positions can be strengthened, take it fae there.

Struggling how anyone could see anything but an upside on Friday. 
We dominated from start to finish, their side, as McGlynn pointed out, was full of players who have played at a much higher level than League 1 and we pretty much carried on with the same level of performance as EEP. 
I suspect even with the Partick “first” team out we would have won Friday. 
It is about consistency now. We have proven we can play at a very good level and anything near that will wipe the floor with Clyde. 

1 hour ago, Bigbri Bairn said:
14 hours ago, MrDust said:
Calling Wilson a right back is just wild. 

lol i know. But it is the only position he has not ruined!

I never seen the bounce game he played in at right back but the only game he started at right back he was woeful. 

Positioning all over the place and both Alloa goals came from the right side.

I think I'll stick with wild 

I’ve never bought into the argument that the playoffs would be some sort of achievement. The aim has to be to compete for the title but not bringing a RB in this week could be significant. I think everyone at the club will know that so just hope there is some sort of budget available to do it. 

I might be stating the obvious here but to get any more players in will depend on moving a player or two out to free up wages, think McGlynn made that pretty clear when the window closed. I’m sure we are trying to shift a few out the door to allow for a new player coming in but it’s not that simple, another club would actively have to want to take a Wilson/Ross/Heatherington ect of our hands and pay them a wage similar to what they are already on at Falkirk for them to then agree to leave. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

22 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The caveat is that Saturday is October 1, and Falkirk still have 29 games to play. If they can continue to perform as they did last Friday, they will most likely win the majority of them. The title will not be won - or lost - on Saturday.