The Falkirk FC Thread

The first thirty minutes or so was probably the best football I’ve watched in a bloody long time. Superb movement, excellent passing and second ball we won at every touch. Don't like picking out individual players, especially when we had such a team performance, but Yeats and Oliver I thought were absolutely outstanding. 

I’ve said for the past couple of years any good football team needs a strong spine, last couple of games gives me hope that we’ve nearly there, albeit the GK position gives me the shitters at times.

Couple of observations: I thought Martin had a good game. Despite having nothing to do all night, what he did do he did well. There was no sign of the nerves that he's shown so far. 

Also, and I hope I'm way off the mark, McCann was regularly ignored when in loads of space on the left, particularly by Henderson in the 2nd half. Hopefully just a tactical thing rather than any problem with him?

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Couple of observations: I thought Martin had a good game. Despite having nothing to do all night, what he did do he did well. There was no sign of the nerves that he's shown so far. 

Also, and I hope I'm way off the mark, McCann was regularly ignored when in loads of space on the left, particularly by Henderson in the 2nd half. Hopefully just a tactical thing rather than any problem with him?

Tactics were spot on, we’ve got two CBs that can actually play a direct through ball which I thought we used really well at times. Nothing in with McCann.

35 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I watched on Falkirk TV last night I noticed Yeats standing in space arms up and getting ignored too.  I assume it's tactical decision.

Airdrie & Kelty we’re howlers and thankfully now parked. Still early season but some promising real signs were starting to look better, fitter and dare I say it winners. Might upset a few  but even with Williamson fit, I would still continue with Yeats at RB. Yes he made a few mistakes but his appetite to hound opposing players is simply a joy to watch. Watched McGinn giving Yeats encouragement and applause throughout the game, great leadership from the captain. 

I couldn't make the game last night or watch on FTV but from the comments it sounds good, albeit v. a slightly "alternative" PTFC team (though McGlynn was at pains to point out there were some quality players in the PTFC team in his post match interview). 

Really looking forward to Clyde now it will be my 1st home Leage game this season.   

I see the next round of the Challenge Cup is 10/11 December. 

If its the 10th its the same day as two World Cup Quarter Finals (at 3pm & 7pm). 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Tactics were spot on, we’ve got two CBs that can actually play a direct through ball which I thought we used really well at times. Nothing in with McCann.

1 hour ago, MetalWolf said:

I watched on Falkirk TV last night I noticed Yeats standing in space arms up and getting ignored too.  I assume it's tactical decision.

Aye, I did notice that with Yeats too, didn't happen as much though I didn't think. Was more that I remember someone saying a while ago that McCann was a bit disruptive in the dressing room (which was probably a lot of pish) and wondered if it had any relevance?

I agree that the tactics were spot on. Both Burrell and Morrison had the defence on toast and the long balls from Donaldson and Henderson with the diagonal runs of both B and M were causing havoc. 

37 minutes ago, FFC1965 said:

I couldn't make the game last night or watch on FTV but from the comments it sounds good, albeit v. a slightly "alternative" PTFC team (though McGlynn was at pains to point out there were some quality players in the PTFC team in his post match interview). 

Really looking forward to Clyde now it will be my 1st home Leage game this season.   

I see the next round of the Challenge Cup is 10/11 December. 

If its the 10th its the same day as two World Cup Quarter Finals (at 3pm & 7pm). 

I think they’ll move it just as they did this round, as Scotland play today. Good decision because after all it is the diddy cup. 

Just watched the highlights of our game against PT.

Can we please, please get Rumarn Burrell signed on a new 10 year contract? What a find he is, getting better with every game. I don't want to see him going for nowt or peanuts at the end of the season.

Would also love to see Ola Lawal getting more game time, hopefully he gets a full 90 minutes under his belt in the bounce game on Tuesday and comes into contention for the starting line-up against Clyde.

FYI @latapythelegend Sky Sports had the crowd as 2,720.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

14 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Looked a decent crowd last night from the highlights. Did they announce it? Anything over 2k in this cup is very respectable.

Decent turnout from thistle considering you could always stay at home and watch from the comfort of your own front room.

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

His use of the ball was decent but really could've played as a third centre half.

Still can't believe McCall made the changes he did, understand more if it was a midweek fixture. I'd also guess the majority of teams are tinkering with their best 11 too. 

It is a cup where you really have to win it to make money from it though and the current format does not help matters.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Just watched the highlights of our game against PT.

Can we please, please get Rumarn Burrell signed on a new 10 year contract? What a find he is, getting better with every game. I don't want to see him going for nowt or peanuts at the end of the season.

Would also love to see Ola Lawal getting more game time, hopefully he gets a full 90 minutes under his belt in the bounce game on Tuesday and comes into contention for the starting line-up against Clyde.

FYI @latapythelegend Sky Sports had the crowd as 2,720.

Is this not great though mate ? We are all desperate to see him but over the last 2 games (or 1.75 for sure) you can’t really argue with what McGlynn’s starting 11 has delivered.

It’s fantastic to have lads like him, Mackie, Carroll and Kennedy waiting in the wings to get an opportunity. Competition for places like we’ve not had for a while.

Could it be that Kelty, a disaster at the time, is acting as a launchpad for our season ?

I’m not getting ahead of myself too much but I have to admit I’m starting to look forward to our next games having dreaded them for a while.

27 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Is this not great though mate ? We are all desperate to see him but over the last 2 games (or 1.75 for sure) you can’t really argue with what McGlynn’s starting 11 has delivered.

It’s fantastic to have lads like him, Mackie, Carroll and Kennedy waiting in the wings to get an opportunity. Competition for places like we’ve not had for a while.

Could it be that Kelty, a disaster at the time, is acting as a launchpad for our season ?

I’m not getting ahead of myself too much but I have to admit I’m starting to look forward to our next games having dreaded them for a while.

Yes, this for sure.

It’s just that I think both Burrell and Lawal are destined to play at a far higher level than the 3rd tier of Scottish football and if Lawal isn’t getting sufficient game time here he might feel unappreciated and undervalued by us and will up sticks and head off elsewhere at the first opportunity. Remember, we’re not talking about a couple of young Scottish laddies who might be more inclined to bide their time to get some games, a la Carroll and Kennedy, this is 2 young guys who have taken the gamble of moving from Ireland and England to play more football and possibly put themselves in the shop window, they won’t get that sitting on the bench.

More to your your point about having players waiting in the wings, yes, it has been a looooong time since we have had players coming off the bench who actually strengthen the team instead of weakening it.

25 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Yes, this for sure.

It’s just that I think both Burrell and Lawal are destined to play at a far higher level than the 3rd tier of Scottish football and if Lawal isn’t getting sufficient game time here he might feel unappreciated and undervalued by us and will up sticks and head off elsewhere at the first opportunity. Remember, we’re not talking about a couple of young Scottish laddies who might be more inclined to bide their time to get some games, a la Carroll and Kennedy, this is 2 young guys who have taken the gamble of moving from Ireland and England to play more football and possibly put themselves in the shop window, they won’t get that sitting on the bench.

More to your your point about having players waiting in the wings, yes, it has been a looooong time since we have had players coming off the bench who actually strengthen the team instead of weakening it.

Think we're being a bit early with that chat, but id happily offer both terms further than they have at the minute.