The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Players of the quality required will have better options not helped by having a reputation as not seen as a reliable employer and understandably so.

Look at it from a potential signings point of view. 2 - 3 clubs after you so looking at the player churn at Falkirk will tip it in favor of another club.

I'm genuinely a bit worried about you.

28 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

It was a poor, probably avoidable result on Saturday. 

McGlynn knows it wasn't good enough and I don't doubt the players will be disappointed but the castigation of everyone - including the usual supsects - is as expected as it is OTT. 

The false equivalence of comparing Tony Parks to Nicky Hogarth is bonkers but at least you've got a new scapegoat to bang on about.

I cant agree with this. Nesbit in particular has had credit where its due of late, but his second half was the very worst of him. Way too easy to dispossess, little attempt to tackle or track runner when he had the ball, way too over complicated, took far too long to release it. Completely failed to anticipate a high ball clearing the defender which would have seen him with a clear run into the box from the right hand side. Few other things, but he was miles off it, and McGuffie was quite simply a man short. He contributed nothing. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Players of the quality required will have better options not helped by having a reputation as not seen as a reliable employer and understandably so.

Look at it from a potential signings point of view. 2 - 3 clubs after you so looking at the player churn at Falkirk will tip it in favor of another club.

Do you think we were the only club in for Stephen McGinn?

I think a few things can tip the balance but manager turnover is far down the list compared to money and league positioning, particularly since most clubs have a high turnover. McGlynn has every chance of being here for the long run as Rhys McCabe has at Airdrie or Ian Murray at Raith Rovers. 

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I cant agree with this. Nesbit in particular has had credit where its due of late, but his second half was the very worst of him. Way too easy to dispossess, little attempt to tackle or track runner when he had the ball, way too over complicated, took far too long to release it. Completely failed to anticipate a high ball clearing the defender which would have seen him with a clear run into the box from the right hand side. Few other things, but he was miles off it, and McGuffie was quite simply a man short. He contributed nothing. 

Totally agree with you. No one is having a go at Hogarth, but certainly a couple of real howlers of late. Yes having a go at Nesbitt and McGuffie is absolutely correct, in Nesbitt's case a few on here we’re giving him credit, but Saturdays performance as with McGuffie wasn’t acceptable. Both looked like they couldn’t be arsed and for me that’s unacceptable. 
We need to get out of this bloody league and for me we need to eleven players fighting for 90 odd mins every time they play in the NB. 
Thought we had turned the corner, but obviously not with some players. 

Totally agree with you. No one is having a go at Hogarth, but certainly a couple of real howlers of late. Yes having a go at Nesbitt and McGuffie is absolutely correct, in Nesbitt's case a few on here we’re giving him credit, but Saturdays performance as with McGuffie wasn’t acceptable. Both looked like they couldn’t be arsed and for me that’s unacceptable. 
We need to get out of this bloody league and for me we need to eleven players fighting for 90 odd mins every time they play in the NB. 
Thought we had turned the corner, but obviously not with some players. 

If you think lack of effort was a problem on Saturday, I think you should be castigating the whole team, not just the usual suspects….

Still seems to me that when it comes to the crunch and a midfield battle in this league we're still found badly wanting the same as the last 3 seasons down here. We're now onto our fourth management team and still noone seems to be able to sort it out properly.

27 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

If you think lack of effort was a problem on Saturday, I think you should be castigating the whole team, not just the usual suspects….

Can't agree with that either. I didn't see a lack of effort from the defence, I saw a confused unit with Henderson looking less than sharp and our best LB playing at RB. I also saw a commitment to "playing out" that was different from previous matches that looked confusing to the players.

In midfield I dont think you can accuse Yeats or McGinn, but they were bullied a bit. Alegria just couldnt get any change out of Stevie Bell physically with balls shelled up to him. That leaves Morrison, from whom there was poor decision making in the second half, and some frustration, but he plugged away. 

That really just leaves McGuffie and Nesbit to analyse on that front, and both were notably poor, with striking reflections of last season. 

I said already, I blame McGlynn heavily for that, but im just sick of seeing Lawal come on and look much better than either of those, yet next week they start again. 

For my tuppence worth, Smith mentioned the tight pitch on Friday. I think they overthought it, and ultimately shat the bed. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Still seems to me that when it comes to the crunch and a midfield battle in this league we're still found badly wanting the same as the last 3 seasons down here. We're now onto our fourth management team and still noone seems to be able to sort it out properly.

The worry now is that teams have already sussed out how to get at us and we don’t have enough to change it around. Had hoped we added more physicality in our back line but Henderson can’t get bullied the way he did for the first goal on Saturday. Far too easy. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Can't agree with that either. I didn't see a lack of effort from the defence, I saw a confused unit with Henderson looking less than sharp and our best LB playing at RB. I also saw a commitment to "playing out" that was different from previous matches that looked confusing to the players.

In midfield I dont think you can accuse Yeats or McGinn, but they were bullied a bit. Alegria just couldnt get any change out of Stevie Bell physically with balls shelled up to him. That leaves Morrison, from whom there was poor decision making in the second half, and some frustration, but he plugged away. 

That really just leaves McGuffie and Nesbit to analyse on that front, and both were notably poor, with striking reflections of last season. 

I said already, I blame McGlynn heavily for that, but im just sick of seeing Lawal come on and look much better than either of those, yet next week they start again. 

For my tuppence worth, Smith mentioned the tight pitch on Friday. I think they overthought it, and ultimately shat the bed. 

Perhaps why McCann was shunted on RB, having both him and McGuffie cutting in from the right takes away any width possible on that side.

Footballers will go wherever is offering the most wages 9 times out of 10, they won't care about high turnover of players etc.

All fair enough….except I never said they lacked effort. I was responding to someone who, like so many are happy to exclude the newer players from the same criticism.
I didn’t see a lack of effort, but some players such as Hogarth and Henderson (but in truth pretty much everyone), definitely underperformed, and that wasn’t solely due to one or two players being tried out of position even if it was a factor.
We can talk about our anarchic defence, but we were outplayed in the middle of the park on Saturday with Yeats in the position we all want to see him play and actually I though both he and McGinn were very poor and a big reason why the defence couldn’t cope….

13 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

All fair enough….except I never said they lacked effort. I was responding to someone who, like so many are happy to exclude the newer players from the same criticism.
I didn’t see a lack of effort, but some players such as Hogarth and Henderson (but in truth pretty much everyone), definitely underperformed, and that wasn’t solely due to one or two players being tried out of position even if it was a factor.
We can talk about our anarchic defence, but we were outplayed in the middle of the park on Saturday with Yeats in the position we all want to see him play and actually I though both he and McGinn were very poor and a big reason why the defence couldn’t cope….

I thought Henderson was utterly brutal. But even that, I have to consider that I am a huge beliver that when you utterly f**k up the balance of the team (McCann) it adversely affects all the others. At the start it looked like we didnt want to even go right with the ball. Instead, checking back and going back across the defence, which in at least once case led to a fucking ludicrous corner given away.  Again though, I am convinced the defence were instructed to try and draw them onto us based ont he mention of the tight pitch, Could be wrong, just my hunch.

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that even if many underperformed, it was an absolute revert to type from two who we know arent going to cut it in a race for promotion, or a battle of any sort. Aye there were poor performances, but its fair to say no one elses (especially among the new faces) credit bank is lower than Nesbit or McGuffie, so it correctly them that are being called out. 

2 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

What's Alegria been like?

Hit and miss. Good goal last week, great assist. On Saturday Stevie Bell handled him with ease. In general though, his old up/link play has been decent. Just the occasional game where he seems to get pocketed by his marker. 

3 hours ago, Blame Me said:

It was a poor, probably avoidable result on Saturday. 

McGlynn knows it wasn't good enough and I don't doubt the players will be disappointed but the castigation of everyone - including the usual supsects - is as expected as it is OTT. 

Come on- Nesbitt has had 2 or 3 decent games since last September. After a good performance last week, he was straight back to the usual rubbish.

Again, McGuffie is a player who has not contributed enough this season and last.

The ‘usual suspects’ have consistently produced very little and deserve to be criticised. Particularly when we now have players on the bench who have offers significantly more in their brief appearances.

Not the same but vibes of McGlynn changing everything to fit Henderson in with Sheerin persisting with Ruth when he signed him.

Hoping it was just McGlynn overthinking things and playing the best players for their position this Saturday.

We have a problem on the right if we are playing Morrison on the left. McGuffie so slow, Nesbitt ineffective. In saying that we would have a problem on the left if we played Morrison on the right.

I think our squad depth is greater than Dunfermline, and hoping that tells as the season goes on. But a few problem areas on the park that we need to mitigate.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

And to me that’s scary tbh. Not from Alegria but every coaching team should know that Stevie Bell is pushing 40 and has little pace but we decided to play right into his hands tactically.

I actually do understand the REASONS Mcglynn tinkered. Henderson I thought looked utter class and gave us much needed height in the limited time before his injury. Once he was back fit it was maybe worth trying to get him back in. Mcglynn also correct in that Yeats is a young boy who’s position isn’t RB. Moving him to preferred position makes some sense.

Where I disagree was that it didn’t affect the game (so says Mcglynn). Pish. It was a gamble and it didn’t work. We move on. Unless same mistakes are made again.

Not the same but vibes of McGlynn changing everything to fit Henderson in with Sheerin persisting with Ruth when he signed him.

Hoping it was just McGlynn overthinking things and playing the best players for their position this Saturday.

We have a problem on the right if we are playing Morrison on the left. McGuffie so slow, Nesbitt ineffective. In saying that we would have a problem on the left if we played Morrison on the right.

I think our squad depth is greater than Dunfermline, and hoping that tells as the season goes on. But a few problem areas on the park that we need to mitigate.
Not sure I see it as a straight shoot out between Dunfermline and Falkirk for the league tbh.