The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, AGPar said:

No.  I did not. And you bizarrely and  continually insisting otherwise is never going to make it any truer. I said that (a) McGlynn had the largest budget of any manager in this division TO USE THIS SUMMER and (b) that had he wished, he could have used a portion of said budget in an attempt to sign players just a bit more reliable and consistent than two proven wasters such as McGuffie and Nesbitt. Had he done so we would not be in the position of them still being automatic choices week in week out.

End of. Anything else, such as your paying off 14 players nonsense, is simply your own wildly inaccurate misrepresentation. 

My argument it he didn’t have enough money to clear them all/sign players to replace them. Granted he may rate one or two who we don’t. You just won’t accept that argument 

10 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

My argument it he didn’t have enough money to clear them all/sign players to replace them. Granted he may rate one or two who we don’t. You just won’t accept that argument 

I can accept the argument that he could not get rid of everyone in one fell swoop just fine thanks. Not that I was ever advocating such a step in the first place. I happen to believe that his decision to make no substantive improvements to our attacking options despite being provided with the biggest budget in the league is a major mistake that will cost us very dearly. I thought that at the outset and I have seen nothing whatsoever to date to dissuade me from that opinion. As long as Nesbitt and McGuffie continue to be selected week after week, irrespective of form, and as long as Morrison is allowed to believe that one or two performances every couple of months is more than enough to maintain his status as an automatic first choice, we are going nowhere..

The reaction to defeats is fantastic but also bizarre.

Everyone on here portrays they know the re-build and levels etc

But any defeat is utter meltdown like a bad result is unbelieveable. A mean keep it up for our sake but for your own sake make your minds up.

I’ve seen a lot of comments saying he moved the defence about to accommodate Henderson but imo he’s done it to accommodate Mackie who’s been good but the last few games including the win v Qots he’s been shaky, had we started Yeats Donaldson Henderson McCann no one would have complained.

21 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

But any defeat is utter meltodown like a bad result is unbelieveable. A mean keep it up for our sake but for your own sake make your minds up.

I get your point, but tbh we did lose 2-0 to a Kelty Hearts team who haven't won a league game in 5 previous attempts, only managing a solitary goal in those games too. 

36 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

But any defeat is utter meltdown like a bad result is unbelieveable. A mean keep it up for our sake but for your own sake make your minds up.

I imagine it is entertaining, but today was such a poor performance, and consisted of several baffling team/positional changes by the manager. He and the team have done pretty well so far, so we are annoyed and confused by the shuffling around he did today. The self destruction today is 75% of the frustration, and the piss poor effort the other 25%.

1 hour ago, Vimto90 said:

Do vaguely agree with this. The squad is so far off being in win every game territory that results like today are inevitable. Just look at Airdrie.

What does do my nut in is the tactical changes made. If Mcglynn reverts back to a sensible 11 for Alloa and we win, I’m happy to see he has learned. If not, potentially big trouble. Stubbornness has killed our last few managers 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Behave. It’s one game. All the good he has done since he came in is not going to be thrown in the bin because of one incorrect selection and a real poor performance. 
He has consistently made good calls during games so far. Cut the bloke some slack FFS. 

He gets plenty of slack. Today wasn’t about an incorrect selection, and everyone could see it. He has damaged his good work by what seems to be little more than a bit of self indulgent tinkering. There was nothing he could say that justifies it. Let’s see if he learns from it.

McGlynn says in the interview that he does not think that the positional changes were the problem. So he’s clearly not learned much from today.
However all this attacking the players from last season and absolving the others is really pissing me off.
What McGlynn said about the players not turning up today is spot on and McGuffie and Nesbit were no worse than Henderson, Mackie and Hogarth as examples.
Quite simply the whole team was dreadful today and whilst positional changes did not help, a serious lack of getting in about the opposition today was a much bigger concern and very similar to what we have seen in previous seasons….

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

You said he had the opportunity to clearout the aforementioned dross this summer. My point is we would not have had the finance to clear everyone (surprisingly only cleared one which probably says they are either shite and no one wants them or they are on money they can’t get elsewhere and have refused to move). On top of that he has had a string of injuries so has had to rely on some of them. 
If McGlynn get all his players fit I am not sure how many McGlynn would actually play. 

He could have a starting line up of

PJ

Williamson Donaldson Henderson Mackie

Yeats McGinn Lawal

Burrel Algeria Kennedy

Only one left as RB is the only part of the team he has not got a replacement for.

bench

McCann (I would have in front of MacKie on current form)

Nesbitt

Morrison (he would play for me)
Hetherington
Oliver

McGuffie

Mckay

Ross

Martin  

There is no way the SPFL would allow McGlynn to field a North African nation in a starting XI.

57 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

McGlynn says in the interview that he does not think that the positional changes were the problem. So he’s clearly not learned much from today.
However all this attacking the players from last season and absolving the others is really pissing me off.
What McGlynn said about the players not turning up today is spot on and McGuffie and Nesbit were no worse than Henderson, Mackie and Hogarth as examples.
Quite simply the whole team was dreadful today and whilst positional changes did not help, a serious lack of getting in about the opposition today was a much bigger concern and very similar to what we have seen in previous seasons….

Two worrying aspects for me in that.

It was as plain as the nose on his face that his positional changes were absolutely crazy. If he thinks his changes weren’t responsible…….sheesh.

Secondly, if we are indeed seeing last season’s behaviour from new and old players under a new manager, then that is a real cause for concern. I can’t fathom how that sort of stuff still hasn’t been rooted out.

I can understand why Nesbitt and McGuffie are instantly the whipping boys. Given their number of first team starts and how many times both have failed to show up, then it’s no surprise that they are front and centre when criticism is being dished out.

McGlynn deserves credit for all the good things he has done, but for today’s bad things, things that really did fall into the realm of tinkering for no good reason, he deserves the criticism.

Iv had a few hours to think about this now. My main concern is not that we have lost, we were never going to go this season undefeated, but when you put in 3 decent performances, you start to believe that the team has turned the corner and left the attitude of the past 4-5 years way behind them. Then they put out a performance like that yesterday and it truly just collapses any positive feelings you've had the past 3 weeks.

8 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

Iv had a few hours to think about this now. My main concern is not that we have lost, we were never going to go this season undefeated, but when you put in 3 decent performances, you start to believe that the team has turned the corner and left the attitude of the past 4-5 years way behind them. Then they put out a performance like that yesterday and it truly just collapses any positive feelings you've had the past 3 weeks.

Same, 108 mile round trip to watch utter shite. Even before the first goal we looked like we had met at half two. Yes it’s easy to have a go at Nesbit and McGuffie, but both turned in the expected normal shit performance’s.

Hope I’m wrong but since Henderson return we’ve looked at sixes and sevens. I’ve been impressed with McGlynn honesty in most post match interviews, however  I would have thought more of McGlynn if he’d said he got it wrong yesterday. 

Played             Won            Drawn      Lost            GF              GA               Points

Season 22/23               6                    3                    1              2                9                 8                   10

Season 21/22                6                    3                    1              2                8                 6                   10

Yikes!

35 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

Especially when you've already lost to Airdrie.

From a Kelty fan who didn’t know your players from Adam before today.

I thought the RB McCann looked decent and had a lot of space going forward at times, it was just never exploited. Turns out he’s a LB?

The lad with the bad Ibiza hairdo Morrison, best player IMO. Could beat a man as often as he wanted, he was a threat.

Was worried about number 9’s pace and movement against two 37 year old CBs, one of whom retired at end of last season and ate like a retired man in the summer. Surprised he didn’t come out for second half. Was glad to see him gone tho.

Surprised the two big CBs got physical bested by Higgy. He just backed in and held his ground again and again and they had no answer to it. Not sure why a midfielder wasn’t made to go and stand in front Higgy when saw this happening so often.

No one in the midfield made any sort of impression on me whatsoever, all pretty anonymous.

The two lads who came on later in game looked better than anyone in your starting bar Morrison.

43 minutes ago, crowie said:

From a Kelty fan who didn’t know your players from Adam before today.

I thought the RB McCann looked decent and had a lot of space going forward at times, it was just never exploited. Turns out he’s a LB?

The lad with the bad Ibiza hairdo Morrison, best player IMO. Could beat a man as often as he wanted, he was a threat.

Was worried about number 9’s pace and movement against two 37 year old CBs, one of whom retired at end of last season and ate like a retired man in the summer. Surprised he didn’t come out for second half. Was glad to see him gone tho.

Surprised the two big CBs got physical bested by Higgy. He just backed in and held his ground again and again and they had no answer to it. Not sure why a midfielder wasn’t made to go and stand in front Higgy when saw this happening so often.

No one in the midfield made any sort of impression on me whatsoever, all pretty anonymous.

The two lads who came on later in game looked better than anyone in your starting bar Morrison.

“No one in the midfield made any sort of impression on me whatsoever, all pretty anonymous”