The Falkirk FC Thread

I despise Gary Holt as much as the next man but trying to push the blame onto him for today's performance is mad.  Only three of the starting line-up today were Holt/Sheerin recruits and arguably one of them (McCann) has been one of our better performers in recent weeks.  McGlynn isn't being forced to play Nesbitt or McGuffie he is CHOOSING to.

As for the budget/14 players nonsense - this is just another smokescreen.  McGlynn has signed 12 players (not including the young lads) and by my reckoning that's more that Holt/Sheerin signed.  Don't forget the 6 or so duds that Rennie brought in and that's 18 players who have been through the door since Holt was booted out.

1 minute ago, RC_Bairn said:

I despise Gary Holt as much as the next man but trying to push the blame onto him for today's performance is mad.  Only three of the starting line-up today were Holt/Sheerin recruits and arguably one of them (McCann) has been one of our better performers in recent weeks.  McGlynn isn't being forced to play Nesbitt or McGuffie he is CHOOSING to.

As for the budget/14 players nonsense - this is just another smokescreen.  McGlynn has signed 12 players (not including the young lads) and by my reckoning that's more that Holt/Sheerin signed.  Don't forget the 6 or so duds that Rennie brought in and that's 18 players who have been through the door since Holt was booted out.

He's choosing to as a lack of options, also with the aforementioned liabilities you effectively have 9 players and have 2 men being carried by the rest of the team.

Guest Brockvillenomore

The amount of the budget tied up with the signed squad was mentioned on the back to back fans meeting in June. At least it was the one I was at. The 60% was mentioned explaining why hybrid wouldn’t work. 

10 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

He's choosing to as a lack of options, also with the aforementioned liabilities you effectively have 9 players and have 2 men being carried by the rest of the team.

And who's fault is it that he has a lack of options?  McGlynn has three of his new signings sitting on the bench (four if you include Carroll) and he clearly had some budget to go get Kennedy.  Are you seriously telling me he couldn't have gone out to get an attacking midfielder to replace Nesbitt or McGuffie if he thought they weren't up to it?

Edited by RC_Bairn
typo

13 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You said he had the opportunity to clearout the aforementioned dross this summer.

No.  I did not. And you bizarrely and  continually insisting otherwise is never going to make it any truer. I said that (a) McGlynn had the largest budget of any manager in this division TO USE THIS SUMMER and (b) that had he wished, he could have used a portion of said budget in an attempt to sign players just a bit more reliable and consistent than two proven wasters such as McGuffie and Nesbitt. Had he done so we would not be in the position of them still being automatic choices week in week out.

End of. Anything else, such as your paying off 14 players nonsense, is simply your own wildly inaccurate misrepresentation. 

1 minute ago, AGPar said:

No.  I did not. And you bizarrely and  continually insisting otherwise is never going to make it any truer. I said that (a) McGlynn had the largest budget of any manager in this division TO USE THIS SUMMER and (b) that had he wished, he could have used a portion of said budget in an attempt to sign players just a bit more reliable and consistent than two proven wasters such as McGuffie and Nesbitt. Had he done so we would not be in the position of them still being automatic choices week in week out.

End of. Anything else, such as your paying off 14 players nonsense, is simply your own wildly inaccurate misrepresentation. 

My argument it he didn’t have enough money to clear them all/sign players to replace them. Granted he may rate one or two who we don’t. You just won’t accept that argument 

10 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

My argument it he didn’t have enough money to clear them all/sign players to replace them. Granted he may rate one or two who we don’t. You just won’t accept that argument 

I can accept the argument that he could not get rid of everyone in one fell swoop just fine thanks. Not that I was ever advocating such a step in the first place. I happen to believe that his decision to make no substantive improvements to our attacking options despite being provided with the biggest budget in the league is a major mistake that will cost us very dearly. I thought that at the outset and I have seen nothing whatsoever to date to dissuade me from that opinion. As long as Nesbitt and McGuffie continue to be selected week after week, irrespective of form, and as long as Morrison is allowed to believe that one or two performances every couple of months is more than enough to maintain his status as an automatic first choice, we are going nowhere..

The reaction to defeats is fantastic but also bizarre.

Everyone on here portrays they know the re-build and levels etc

But any defeat is utter meltdown like a bad result is unbelieveable. A mean keep it up for our sake but for your own sake make your minds up.

I’ve seen a lot of comments saying he moved the defence about to accommodate Henderson but imo he’s done it to accommodate Mackie who’s been good but the last few games including the win v Qots he’s been shaky, had we started Yeats Donaldson Henderson McCann no one would have complained.

21 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

But any defeat is utter meltodown like a bad result is unbelieveable. A mean keep it up for our sake but for your own sake make your minds up.

I get your point, but tbh we did lose 2-0 to a Kelty Hearts team who haven't won a league game in 5 previous attempts, only managing a solitary goal in those games too. 

36 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

But any defeat is utter meltdown like a bad result is unbelieveable. A mean keep it up for our sake but for your own sake make your minds up.

I imagine it is entertaining, but today was such a poor performance, and consisted of several baffling team/positional changes by the manager. He and the team have done pretty well so far, so we are annoyed and confused by the shuffling around he did today. The self destruction today is 75% of the frustration, and the piss poor effort the other 25%.

1 hour ago, Vimto90 said:

Do vaguely agree with this. The squad is so far off being in win every game territory that results like today are inevitable. Just look at Airdrie.

What does do my nut in is the tactical changes made. If Mcglynn reverts back to a sensible 11 for Alloa and we win, I’m happy to see he has learned. If not, potentially big trouble. Stubbornness has killed our last few managers 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Behave. It’s one game. All the good he has done since he came in is not going to be thrown in the bin because of one incorrect selection and a real poor performance. 
He has consistently made good calls during games so far. Cut the bloke some slack FFS. 

He gets plenty of slack. Today wasn’t about an incorrect selection, and everyone could see it. He has damaged his good work by what seems to be little more than a bit of self indulgent tinkering. There was nothing he could say that justifies it. Let’s see if he learns from it.

McGlynn says in the interview that he does not think that the positional changes were the problem. So he’s clearly not learned much from today.
However all this attacking the players from last season and absolving the others is really pissing me off.
What McGlynn said about the players not turning up today is spot on and McGuffie and Nesbit were no worse than Henderson, Mackie and Hogarth as examples.
Quite simply the whole team was dreadful today and whilst positional changes did not help, a serious lack of getting in about the opposition today was a much bigger concern and very similar to what we have seen in previous seasons….

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

You said he had the opportunity to clearout the aforementioned dross this summer. My point is we would not have had the finance to clear everyone (surprisingly only cleared one which probably says they are either shite and no one wants them or they are on money they can’t get elsewhere and have refused to move). On top of that he has had a string of injuries so has had to rely on some of them. 
If McGlynn get all his players fit I am not sure how many McGlynn would actually play. 

He could have a starting line up of

PJ

Williamson Donaldson Henderson Mackie

Yeats McGinn Lawal

Burrel Algeria Kennedy

Only one left as RB is the only part of the team he has not got a replacement for.

bench

McCann (I would have in front of MacKie on current form)

Nesbitt

Morrison (he would play for me)
Hetherington
Oliver

McGuffie

Mckay

Ross

Martin  

There is no way the SPFL would allow McGlynn to field a North African nation in a starting XI.