The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Fully agree with that.

I think, certainly for my perspective, we seem to have much more stability defensively and better possession of the ball against the poorer sides than before. I do agree, starting this week, we need to step up against the better sides. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

Morrison could have easily had another hatrick yesterday if he improves his composure in front of goal. I think Alegria’s hold up play and movement brings a lot of people into the game in the attacking areas so I don’t see McGlynn dropping him so easily/quickly. I’m desperate for the boy to score. 

Alegría reminds me of El Alagui, not technically the best player but decent in the air, gets in good positions and can bring others into play. He seems to get the ball stuck under his feet too often the now. I think if we could go on a consistent winning run, he would also improve with the added confidence and sharpness 

Burrell is a completely different type of player, wants to play off the shoulder and run in behind. Both of them together could make a decent partnership. Burrell was helped yesterday by Fontaine being absolutely done, he just couldn’t keep up with balls over the top 

There's actually a lot to like about Alegria. I think his hold up play is alright, his movements in the box are generally good. Currently, he wants too many touches, possibly trying to create an easier chance for himself because he hasn't had that goal to set him off yet.

The issue is, however, how long to you persist with a guy whose not scoring when you have both Oliver and Burrell off the mark behind him.

15 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Obviously they'll be back as soon as we next lose a game but doesn't it make a pleasant change to read about Falkirk FC without having to wade through pages of Ainsley Harriott memes and "Lolkirk" posts, or any of the other oh so hilariously imaginative banter from P&B's obsessed wee fannies?

I was thinking the exact same. I actually took pleasure knowing those sad cases would be checking our result and would be devastated to see 3-0 Falkirk. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Going to state the stupidly obvious here, but Burrells finish is top notch. Tough to score form there and as he points out in his interview, just finds the corner with total composure. Thats something we have lacked up front for a while but it looks (early days) like something he is capable of doing.

I mean take Alegria. We've seen good work from him and decent chances, but the finish just doesnt quite beat the keeper. If Burrell can step in and be the 1 chance, 1 goal guy, thats how you turn 1 point into 3

Reminded me of a Stokes goal during his spell with us.  Remember him saying that it used to be drilled into him at Arsenal to score into the sides to perfect his finishing.  Very composed finish by Burrell and love his confidence.  

Guest Brockvillenomore

I felt for John McGlynn yesterday in the post match interview, there are so many injuries when asked he struggled to remember them all and ended up forgetting Kai Kennedy. 

Once we get these lads back the starting 11 will be much stronger and with the likes of Ferguson, Lawal and Burrell to come in at some point I’m hoping the squad will have the depth and quality to be up there challenging. 

Edited by Brockvillenomore

7 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

I felt for John McGlynn yesterday in the post match interview, there are so many injuries when asked he struggled to remember them all and ended up forgetting Kai Ferguson. 

Once we get these lads back the starting 11 will be much stronger and with the likes of Ferguson, Lawal and Burrell to come in at some point I’m hoping the squad will have the depth and quality to be up there challenging. 

Noticed that as well. He also forgot about Kennedy 😉

A couple of points of interest to fellow stattos*:

We started the season on 3999 post-WWII league goals. So Ryan Williamson's strike v Peterhead last week was our 4000th!

We began the season on 4965 goals in all competitions (L, SC, LC, CC, P/O, Spring Cup) since WWII. So our 35th goal this season will be a milestone. 9 down, 26 to go.

*stats are my own, with reference to bettermeddle.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

A couple of points of interest to fellow stattos*:

We started the season on 3999 post-WWII league goals. So Ryan Williamson's strike v Peterhead last week was our 4000th!

We began the season on 4965 goals in all competitions (L, SC, LC, CC, P/O, Spring Cup) since WWII. So our 35th goal this season will be a milestone. 9 down, 26 to go.

*stats are my own, with reference to bettermeddle.

Bit presumptuous mate. We'll have folk in here lecturing us about rightful places and arrogance shortly

Guest Caractacus Potts

Assured performance yesterday. The first time we’ve won back to back games since the 21st of August 2021. Hopefully we can build on it and go on a wee run.

Also it is early doors but dare I say we may have potentially 1 or 2 sellable assets for the first time in God knows how long!?

I thought Alegria played well enough yesterday and had some nice touches. He brings other players into the game quite well. My concern is how long can we realistically go on saying "he just needs a goal"? I agree that if he gets one, he'd likely go on and score a few more - he looks the definition of a confidence player in that respect. With a significant number of the chances he's had in front of goal in the last few games. he's looked absolutely petrified.  He might get his first goal against Queens and kick on - I hope he does - but what if he doesn't? How long do you persist with him ahead of the other two realistic striking options, especially when both Oliver and Burrell are on 2 and 1 league goals with less game time? I read Raith fans saying McGlynn isn't too bothered about strikers scoring as long as they bring something else to the team - in that respect, Alegria might keep his place on the basis of his other attributes. My only concern is that while it might be okay to pass up chances against the Edinburgh's and the Peterhead's, where you're liable to get multiple opportunities, against the Dunfermlines of this league, you might only get one or two and we'll have to be clinical. It's an interesting dilemma to have. Hopefully he does get one and then score a barrowload, but it's something to consider.

7 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Those highlights made it look like Edinburgh were in the game. It must have shown every time they got into our half. Just as pathetic as their set up

Produced for their fans so can’t really expect anything different.

Mutch showing his quality at our first goal.