The Falkirk FC Thread

52 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Which box to which box? Last I saw there were only 2 boxes on a pitch neither of which Hetherington is very effective in or out of. 

I never mentioned how effective he was at it, was just pointing out that’s the type of player he’s meant to be as someone tried to compare him to a less effective McGinn.

49 minutes ago, Springfield said:

With all respect can you name me who’s actually worse in the first starting eleven? 

In my opinion, up until yesterday I think Morrison, Nesbitt and Williamson had been underperforming far worse than Hetherington who imo was good for us pre-season and in the cup games.

2 minutes ago, Captain Chugwash said:

I never mentioned how effective he was at it, was just pointing out that’s the type of player he’s meant to be as someone tried to compare him to a less effective McGinn.

In my opinion, up until yesterday I think Morrison, Nesbitt and Williamson had been underperforming far worse than Hetherington who imo was good for us pre-season and in the cup games.

We got a couple of vastly improved performances from Morrison and Williamson albeit - very poor opposition. Nesbit and Hetherington just haven’t got it. I’ve seen around half the season pre league games and still waiting to see a half decent game from the two of them. One thing I do agree on is that they’ve all been shite up to yesterday.

Currently he's amongst half a dozen still on the books that downed tools a month or so into last season. I don't particularly care if he suddenly turns in the odd barely acceptable performance on the park, ultimately he's a wage stealing b*****d and a poor footballer who should have been emptied at the end of last season and who I don't think many will be sad to see the back of at the end of this season. 

21 minutes ago, Captain Chugwash said:

It isn’t what he is meant to be as he can’t get about the pitch to play box to box. At Alloa he played McGinn’s role. 
Compare his mobility to Yeats. That is what someone who is box to box needs to to. 

Well that was a breath of fresh air although Peterhead were absolutely dreadful so it's difficult to judge just how good we actually were. Williamson and Morrison shouldn't have started but thank f**k they did. What do any of us know about football management, eh? Morrison was unplayable at times and Williamson gave us his best performance in a Falkirk shirt to date.

Can't understand why he started with essentially three defensive mids as it meant Yeats basically playing out of position in a more advanced role. Maybe Lawal isn't fully fit yet, but him in for Hetherington is pretty obvious I would say.

Once again, I think that, when everyone is fully fit, we should use a 3-5-2. I don't think we can afford to leave McCann out as he gives us a lot down the left and Williamson can do similar on the right when he would have less defending to do.

I thought Alegria (FFS stop calling him Algeria) played quite well. Doesn't look like there's masses of quality there but he is quite physical and holds the ball up quite well. Looks like he snatches at his chances though, maybe a goal will give him a bit of confidence and he can sort that out. I'd like to see what Burrell can do, but I wouldn't be dissapointed in having Alegria off the bench as an option.

All in all a good day at the office (I think Lewis is taking the piss now TBH) but feet on the ground as we won't play opposition of that quality every week. Unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It isn’t what he is meant to be as he can’t get about the pitch to play box to box. At Alloa he played McGinn’s role. 
Compare his mobility to Yeats. That is what someone who is box to box needs to to. 

It’s literally what he’s in McGlynn’s team to do. Whether he’s effective at it or not is another question. He was also everywhere yesterday regardless. Works his socks off.

12 minutes ago, Captain Chugwash said:

It’s literally what he’s in McGlynn’s team to do. Whether he’s effective at it or not is another question. He was also everywhere yesterday regardless. Works his socks off.

We will agree to disagree. He was probably our worst player again yesterday 

I’m not sure I’m too overjoyed by yesterday. It’s good to get the win but they’re the worst team in the league so it would’ve been embarrassing to have any result other than a win. Our decision making in the opposition box is still very poor. 

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, MS RR said:

I’m not sure I’m too overjoyed by yesterday. It’s good to get the win but they’re the worst team in the league so it would’ve been embarrassing to have any result other than a win. Our decision making in the opposition box is still very poor. 

A lot of it will be confidence, you could see that getting better as the game went on. Massive part of football is confidence! 

Watched the highlights and Williamson's lung-bursting run for his goal is superb - He was flying yesterday.
Definitely a contender for SPFL TOTW having topped his performance with that goal.

Aye if you’re reading Fowler you’ve really got to have one of Williamson or Morrison and Newman the Peterhead ‘keeper in the team this week.

1 minute ago, MS RR said:

Feet on the ground still. Last week some were for writing us off completely. Yesterday was miles better but we need this sort of performance consistently. Next week won’t be easy. The lad Robertson up front for them is decent. Ironically when Maybury was with us he turned the lad away, he signed for St.Johnstone and now Maybury has him there. We need to be watchful 

Hetherington does the same job as McGinn? How have you come to this conclusion? Completely different types of player. Hetherington has been box to box, driving forward a lot while McGinn sits deep and dictates play. Hetherington gets a lot of stick and might not be our best player but his work rate and determination are clear to see. He was everywhere yesterday, covered near enough every blade of grass.

Totally agree with this btw. Honestly still don’t think I’ve seen a particularly bad performance from him this season. Again I get that I’m well in the minority that thinks this and in no way saying we shouldn’t be looking for an upgrade on him or to excuse his pathetic performances last season but with McGinn there sitting at the base of midfield he looks a completely different player than last season to me. He does get about the pitch a lot better than he did last season, he’s actually a decent presser and won the ball back high up a few times yesterday. His passing is still very inconsistent can mind he played a cracking diagonal through to Williamson then about 5 minutes later he fucks up a simple 5 yard pass and he does give away too many fouls.

He’s clearly not everyone’s cup of tea but unlike last season I can actually see now what he’s bringing to the team and deserves his place at the moment imo.

Totally agree with this btw. Honestly still don’t think I’ve seen a particularly bad performance from him this season. Again I get that I’m well in the minority that thinks this and in no way saying we shouldn’t be looking for an upgrade on him or to excuse his pathetic performances last season but with McGinn there sitting at the base of midfield he looks a completely different player than last season to me. He does get about the pitch a lot better than he did last season, he’s actually a decent presser and won the ball back high up a few times yesterday. His passing is still very inconsistent can mind he played a cracking diagonal through to Williamson then about 5 minutes later he fucks up a simple 5 yard pass and he does give away too many fouls.

He’s clearly not everyone’s cup of tea but unlike last season I can actually see now what he’s bringing to the team and deserves his place at the moment imo.
His second half against Airdrie was a fucking disgrace.

That aside he has at least been significantly better than he was last season, but that's a low bar.

3 minutes ago, champions said:

We've just completely dominated the opposition, created numerous chances, yet some folk would rather slag the players than enjoy the win and the entertainment served up from the team yesterday. Very odd.

No one is doing that, though. Nearly everyone on here since yesterday has said it was a much better performance and we should have won by more goals. We can say that and still point out that we were playing a glorified pub team and that there are still too many players in the team who will not be good enough against better opposition. Things are allowed to be nuanced.

31 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Feet on the ground still. Last week some were for writing us off completely. Yesterday was miles better but we need this sort of performance consistently. Next week won’t be easy. The lad Robertson up front for them is decent. Ironically when Maybury was with us he turned the lad away, he signed for St.Johnstone and now Maybury has him there. We need to be watchful 

Did we not have him on trial for a few games and he looked absolutely honking. 

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Did we not have him on trial for a few games and he looked absolutely honking. 

Wasn’t it a straight shootout him v Jaime Wilson in pre season. Not saying Robertson would’ve been brilliant but think we signed the wrong one there 

34 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

We also turned him away last summer and signed Jaime Wilson instead.